Why do clothes from Banana Republic cost so much?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jinglingxl

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2000
it costs more at BR because their stuff does look better than..say old navy. have you ever walked in an old navy and said to yourself..WHOA...this is the shirt I got to get?
better look and quality equate to higher price.

CptObvious

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2004
i buy br on sale, mostly for fall/winter clothes. their blazers/coats have very good materials/construction/fit, as do their jeans/wool pants. but for casual wear to play sports or go to the beach, i agree that br isn't worth it over gap or old navy

now express - there's an interesting store. trendy designs but cheap materials/construction, but priced almost as high as br.

codeyf

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I shop at all 3, however most frequently at the Gap. BR's items tend to have a more refined, upscale look. More semi formal to formal items as well. Overall quality may not be better per se, but similar items have more/nicer little details to them to go with the "look".

For example. I have a Camel colored wool car coat I purchased from the Gap. Nice clean look to it, nicely lined througout. It's definitely a coat I can wear with a shirt/tie/slacks or just a shirt/jeans.

BR also had a Camel coat of a similar style. It however was a wool/cashmere blend I believe. It had a much more tailored cut and fit to it, and wasn't nearly as bulky. While you could still pull it off with jeans, it was definitely dressier. Some nice details on it were little flaps it had that went over the outside pockets, a more suit-like lapel, and what I thought was nice was some detail stiching around the edge of the collar/lapel.

Old Navy didn't even carry a similar coat.

The coat I got was stickered @ $168. The BR version was $298.

I would've gone for the BR version in a heartbeat if 2 things happened:

1. I actually fit BR stuff well. As it is, due to their more "athletic" cut, I fall between a L and XL. I don't like the way either looks on me. 1 is too snug/tight, the other fits better but is usually too long (shirts). don't get me started on pants.

2. I could get it on sale. I rarely buy anything for full price from any of the 3 stores. My coat was at full price, but I had a $25 gift card, and got 20% off and double points for opening a Gap card account. So it was discounted quite a bit in that sense. I did see it on sale for around $60 tho a couple months later.

ON is great for the kids though. Good, cheap, and always looks good. i go there for stuff like tshirts and shorts.

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
I always get my sweaters from BR. I always get very plain non-patterened ones so I can keep wearing them until they fall apart which for BR clothes is a long time.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
American Eagle FTW, some of the only effin polos that fit me. I've got broad shoulders, but I'm a scrawny bastard, so a small shirt chafes my armpits like they're on a stove, and a medium shirt is too long. AE Medium = short because its preppy crap, wide as a normal medium, :D
Oh and Banana Republic = teh expensiveness