Why do bikers always use the road instead of the sidewalk?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
You know these guys are 14 years old and just trying to stir up sh!t because they think it's amusing. You people are all feeding the trolls.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
yea i hate bike lanes. basically the biker is daring u to hit em. if pedestians shouldn't be walking on the road, neither should bicyclists. its very easy to hit a rut or rock and wipe out on a bike, then get splattered. dragging a poor car driver into an investigation where they will be assumed the guilty party. its just too dangerous.. a little drift and bump and splat.

BillyBatson

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
if you were really wondering you could have done a quick search in google. hell ask jeeves :D
i see bike lanes but hardly any bikers anyway
share the road!

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
yea i hate bike lanes. basically the biker is daring u to hit em. if pedestians shouldn't be walking on the road, neither should bicyclists. its very easy to hit a rut or rock and wipe out on a bike, then get splattered. dragging a poor car driver into an investigation where they will be assumed the guilty party. its just too dangerous.. a little drift and bump and splat.

:roll: I guess we should ban motorcycles too, then. Actually, I know a lot more people who've been injured riding motorcycles on the street than bicycles.

Actually, why not jsut ban every vehicle smaller than a semi truck, since they'd all easily be crushed in a collision with one.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
actually, it seems to me that having bikes on the sidewalk WOULD be safer, all things considered.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Engineer
Why do joggers run on the street instead of on the sidewalk? :Q

;)

:p

This is a better question. ;)

Yes, people riding bikes in the road is annoying, but it's the best solution outside of grass-separated bike lanes.

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
I know bike riders don't ride as fast as cars, but they sure ride a hell of a lot faster then people walk... oh why am i even bothering, the op doesn't even care probally.

it is against the law in california for someone over 12 to ride on the sidewalk due to safety risk i believe. And by driving in california you agree to adhere to all her laws.. including the fact that we share the roa- damn i'm trying again. heh i'm going to bed.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
They do because they're required to by law, unless they want to walk their bikes on the sidewalk. (IIRC)

Cristatus

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2004
it's because you live in the USA :D

here in some European countries (at least in Belgium, and the Netherlands) they have seperate tracks for bicyclists that are on the sidewalk (usually in red or green). sometimes these paths may come onto the road, and the cyclists have to drive on those, unless there are none of those. If there are none of those, then they drive on the road because if they drove on the footpath there would be too many peds, and they would be too slow to react if anything happened.

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
I kind of agree with the OP, a biker sould use the bike path instead of the road if there is one, which they very seldom do. However, if there is only sidewalk, they must pedal away on the road and piss us drivers off when they decide that they deserve more than the side of the road, but a whole lane.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
A quick archived thread search reveals the OP might be retarded. As such, I'm not bothering with this one. :p

Rapidskies

Golden Member
May 27, 2003
I ride my bike to work periodically and the I ride bikepaths and sidewalks the entire way. Riding in a city at rush our on a bike around here would be idiotic. There is no shoulder, and most drivers get pissed and drive more aggressivley if some idiot cloggs up traffic with a bike at rush hour. There are too many poor/aggressive drivers out there to risk riding on the roads.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Did you know that the first paved roads in the USA where built FOR BICYCLES?

And in a lot of places you will / can get a ticket for riding on the sidewalk....

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
Originally posted by: jagec
actually, it seems to me that having bikes on the sidewalk WOULD be safer, all things considered.

I normally ride too fast to be on a sidewalk with pedestrians. I don't think you want vehicles riding 30-70kph (oops... maybe 20-40mph) on the sidewalk.

But that most important reason your statement is flawed is intersections. It's very hard for car drivers to pay attention to crosswalk sections of intersections far enough behind them to pick up a cyclist. A turning car may become a dnager to a cyclist who is 100ft or more behind the car, in their blindspot when they begin slowing to turn.

Riding on the road, turning cars and that sort of thing are my responsibility if I'm behind them. It's myjob to not hit them; put bicycles on the sidewalk, and it becomes the driver's job to make sure there are no bikes coming through the intersection. In terms of oncomingtraffic, the driver has to look well up the road anyway, so looking a little more closely to pick up a potential bicycle isn't overly onerous, but having to check the sidewalk for a few hundred feet ahead of them is a much bigger 'extra' task. A much harder job for the driver, and a much more dangerous situation overall.

Everyone I know who has been in a bicycle/car accident, was riding on the sidewalk because it made them 'feel safer' and got hit in an intersection.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
I think he is protesting how some bike riders treat themselves as pedestrians on the road. As a bike rider, you have lots of the same laws as vehicles. You have to signal your turn...blah blah blah....If you live in the city, you see that lots of bike riders ignore these laws.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: notfred
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo

:roll: I guess we should ban motorcycles too, then. Actually, I know a lot more people who've been injured riding motorcycles on the street than bicycles.

Actually, why not jsut ban every vehicle smaller than a semi truck, since they'd all easily be crushed in a collision with one.

motorbikes go with the flow of traffic. bikes tend to be MUCH slower. having such a difference in speed is dangerous.

CptFarlow

Apr 8, 2005
Originally posted by: bR
Originally posted by: CorCentral
You mean the guys in FAGGY pants that look like they have AIDS?
They do think they own the road but when passing them at 100mph, they slow down a bit ;)
Ahem, I've yet to hit one but I'm afraid to get aids............. All these cat scratches on me from women and actual cats! **LMAO**

Mostly joking but I really do hate them faggy Bikers!

Quoted for ban.

I second that motion.

Um, a bicycle is a vehicle. Therefore, the operator abides to the same laws as a driver of a car or a truck.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Brutuskend
And in a lot of places you will / can get a ticket for riding on the sidewalk....

The only kind of ticket I've ever gotten :p

20m on the sidewalk because the bicycle lane was blocked by roadwork.

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Because riding on the sidewalk is illegal?

Yeah the sidewalk is for 12 and under.A bike path is the safest,tho.

Wear a helmet,and be careful.Drive your car on the road,or a motorcycle.

A neighbors daughter got run into,while biking last year.Dead on arrival at the hospital.

:(

No helmet.32 years old,very nice,pretty woman.
Brain trauma killed her.
:(