Why did they never carry the Prado/Hilux 4 litre V6 over to the Camry/Avalon?

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
14,267
3
81
I've never heard of a Prado or a Hilux, ever (in cars).
 

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
29,471
1
81
Originally posted by: Aflac
I've never heard of a Prado or a Hilux, ever (in cars).

4Runner Prado and Hilux is a unibody pickup...

I see both of them quite frequently
 

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
24,778
4
0
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Originally posted by: Aflac
I've never heard of a Prado or a Hilux, ever (in cars).

4Runner Prado and Hilux is a unibody pickup...

I see both of them quite frequently

Prado is badged a Lexus in the US i think (GX2006 i think). Hilux is the ute. Comes in single, extra and double cab, as well as 4runner in some other markets (i don;t think they sell them here, but i saw one the other day, could be an import of i could be wrong...)
 

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
29,471
1
81
Originally posted by: dug777
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Originally posted by: Aflac
I've never heard of a Prado or a Hilux, ever (in cars).

4Runner Prado and Hilux is a unibody pickup...

I see both of them quite frequently

Prado is badged a Lexus in the US i think (GX2006 i think). Hilux is the ute. Comes in single, extra and double cab, as well as 4runner in some other markets (i don;t think they sell them here, but i saw one the other day, could be an import of i could be wrong...)

Oops...it's the Landcruiser Prado...and it is the Lexus GX (but Americans get a bigger engine, some sheetmetal changes, and some luxury bits)

And a quick google search shows I'm wrong also about the Hilux being a unibody...that's what they look like...
 

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
24,778
4
0
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Originally posted by: dug777
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Originally posted by: Aflac
I've never heard of a Prado or a Hilux, ever (in cars).

4Runner Prado and Hilux is a unibody pickup...

I see both of them quite frequently

Prado is badged a Lexus in the US i think (GX2006 i think). Hilux is the ute. Comes in single, extra and double cab, as well as 4runner in some other markets (i don;t think they sell them here, but i saw one the other day, could be an import of i could be wrong...)

Oops...it's the Landcruiser Prado...and it is the Lexus GX (but Americans get a bigger engine, some sheetmetal changes, and some luxury bits)

And a quick google search shows I'm wrong also about the Hilux being a unibody...that's what they look like...

Oops :eek:

Yeah Hilus is Ladder frame, as is the Prado.

You get the V8 in the Prado, but the 4L six is a kicker anyway, more than enough for the car ;) The 3L diesel is awesome too, but not exactly overpowered, nice torque figures tho, as you would exepect.
 

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
14,714
164
106
If it is the same 4L that is in the Tacoma over here, then the same engine block with a different bore (3.5L) and heads are what is in the 2005+ Avalon and the 2007+ Camry.

Since the Avalon and Camry are cars and not "trucks", their engines are geared to higher RPM horsepower and not as much low end torque. It puts out 268HP in both the Avalon and the Camry while only putting out 236HP in the Tacoma (with more Torgue of course).

This is also the same engine block in the Lexus IS350, except it has direct injection as well which bumps up the HP from 268 to over 300.

At least this is my understanding...
 

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
14,714
164
106
Oh yeah...and I LOVE the 4L in my Tacoma. Always seems up to the job for the kind of loads (hauling/towing boats) I tend to do with it.
 
Jun 18, 2000
11,122
698
126
Why would they put a truck engine into the Avalon and Camry? The 3.5L in the Camry has more power and gets better gas mileage than the 4L gas engine. It's much better suited for a typical family car.

 

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
24,778
4
0
Originally posted by: PricklyPete
If it is the same 4L that is in the Tacoma over here, then the same engine block with a different bore (3.5L) and heads are what is in the 2005+ Avalon and the 2007+ Camry.

Since the Avalon and Camry are cars and not "trucks", their engines are geared to higher RPM horsepower and not as much low end torque. It puts out 268HP in both the Avalon and the Camry while only putting out 236HP in the Tacoma (with more Torgue of course).

This is also the same engine block in the Lexus IS350, except it has direct injection as well which bumps up the HP from 268 to over 300.

At least this is my understanding...

I assume it is ;)

Why not the diesel then?
 

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
8,882
1
81
Dosent seem like ti would be worth it to port the 4l v6 over to the camry. 240hp/250lb/ft thereabouts?

toyota has a 3.5l that puts out 268-272hp in the camry/avalon. The 4l gets a combined 17.4233025 mpg.(13.5l per 100km) if my calculations are right.

Diesels dont sell in america.

You guys in aus dont have emissions inspections do you?
 

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
24,778
4
0
Originally posted by: mwmorph
Dosent seem like ti would be worth it to port the 4l v6 over to the camry. 240hp/250lb/ft thereabouts?

toyota has a 3.5l that puts out 268-272hp in the camry/avalon. The 4l gets a combined 17.4233025 mpg.(13.5l per 100km) if my calculations are right.

Diesels dont sell in america.

You guys in aus dont have emissions inspections do you?

No idea...i assume so for new cars, but once it's registered, provided you keep it registered, it never gets inspected again...;)