why did probe do such a terrible job with porting MK 1 and 2?

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
consider that sculptured software did such a good job with all three of the mortal kombat 3 ports that it did. they also did a damn good job with MK 1 and 2 for the super nes, which i guess is why they werent asked to do the Genesis and DOS versions of MK3.

i mean, in the genesis version of MK3, they made the audio better than the Super NES version which sounded flat and had only one advantage (i.e., stereo motion), they didnt have to take out half the backgrounds, and they got all the moves right. and for the DOS version, i just like the way it looks better than the win 95/PS version... something about the aspect ratio and the 256 color VGA graphics make the DOS version look cooler, at least to me (except for the fact that the refresh rate was low).

sculptured software also did a good job with the punisher for the genesis, all things considered.

it was just a shame that sculptured (or beam software) didnt port total carnage for the Super NES

was there any reason for probe to do such a terrible job?

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
I felt the Genesis version of MK games were better than SNES. SNES may have had the better graphics, but the control and feel felt more accurate to the arcade version on the Sega system instead of the SNES.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
I had MK1 on Genesis (dat blood) and MKII on Snes (I believe they added da blood back in this one).

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
I felt the Genesis version of MK games were better than SNES. SNES may have had the better graphics, but the control and feel felt more accurate to the arcade version on the Sega system instead of the SNES.
Agreed.

As for the original question... I guess I never realized that MK1&2 were so bad. I loved those games.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I had MK1 on Genesis (dat blood) and MKII on Snes (I believe they added da blood back in this one).

You are correct and on the SNES MK2 the action was faster and more fluid, combos were easier to chain. IMO it was the better version for this reason, it was more playable and didn't feel as stiff.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
You are correct and on the SNES MK2 the action was faster and more fluid, combos were easier to chain. IMO it was the better version for this reason, it was more playable and didn't feel as stiff.
it was that way with the first one as well. the sculptured software intro in MK2 (stereo motion sounds good) and the way the pit ii fatality scales and rotates as well as some cool looking palette changes all exclusive to the super nes version make it even better than the arcade version imo. also cool is when goro beats up the sculptured software logo in the super nes version of the first MK.

why acclaim didnt have sculptured software do the first two mega drive version, i will never know... perhaps it is because probe had already done a lot of work on the mega drive but that is just a guess. and they used different teams for both nba jam and nba jam TE too with the super nes ones developed in the u.k. while iguana in austin did the mega drive ones. iguana is one of my favorite defunct devs and i am happy that many members of the iguana staff went on to retro studios.