Why did my open office file convert to comma delimited?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
So I made this spreadsheet with formatting and formulas and stuff and saved it as .ods. Go to open it later and it keeps opening in Writer instead of Calc and it's just a comma delimited file. I lost all the formatting all formulas, everything. It only seems to have done it to that one file but now I'm scared to make changes to any other files in case it does the same thing. This file was created yesterday so the backup would just be the same corrupt version.

I opened it with gedit expecting it to be a bunch of binary/machine code like I would expect but it's just comma delimited text and nothing indicating that any of my formatting or formulas are there. It's just all gone. Why did it do this and how do i prevent this in the future?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
You can save as csv with a odt extension. Perhaps you dicked up your save options?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I just went with the default, but guess since the spreadsheet was basic enough it just auto detected wrong. Redid it this time and made sure to actually explicitly pick the right format. Hopefully it sticks. The result was a garbled mess, I need to re-enter all the data manually.