why did CNN turn off its comments section?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Because the story could be about 2 kittens befriending a dog and the comments would be:

"Inter-species Obama liberal cats!!!, now marriage is over!"

The conservatard vocabulary doesn't contain words as large as "interspecies." It would be:
"The librul media is trying to push their race mixing gay agenda but we CHRISTIANS have to stand firm against Obama's sharia law!"

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
The conservatard vocabulary doesn't contain words as large as "interspecies." It would be:
"The librul media is trying to push their race mixing gay agenda but we CHRISTIANS have to stand firm against Obama's sharia law!"
Something did seem out of place, that feels much better ;)

Feb 4, 2009
Absurd analogy. This country was founded on the right to offend. The right to have a different opinion even it is is ridiculous. I use to think liberals stood for freedom, but they don't. They are the most intolerant group of people I have ever known. I bet you voted for Obama, right?

Think what you want. CNN is a business that gets revenue from clicks and commercials if the comments section are a cesspool people will stop visiting. I never suggested that people don't have a right to offensive opinions, a paid for message board is not public space.
Yes I did vote Obama over McCain and Romney. I do feel each of them are good men, they simply are not the right men for their respective moments.
I voted Romney for Governor, he was a decent Governor solid B performance, not the best but better than average.

Last edited:

Sattern

Jul 20, 2014
Skylercompany.com
When I was following Russian news I saw a lot of comments from people that supported Putin more than Obama and the people in the comments said anybody who agrees with the Russians are spies, it was pretty funny, although I support Putin and i'm not a spy.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
When I was following Russian news I saw a lot of comments from people that supported Putin more than Obama and the people in the comments said anybody who agrees with the Russians are spies, it was pretty funny, although I support Putin and i'm not a spy.
Bam, you're on the no-fly list. I hope you like getting fisted by government employees. How dare you question Obama's desire to invade Syria, which is totally nothing like the Iraq war even though it's in the same area of the world, using literally the same argument (chemical weapons against his own people). Politicians also seem hell bent on attacking Iran for no reason. Remember McCain saying we should bomb Iran?

Ironically, Putin is slowing the collapse of the American empire. If we didn't have guys like him and Xi Jinping promising to defend Iraq and Syria, our leaders would probably have us neck deep in several other pointless wars.

JOEKNOCKZ

Sep 30, 2013
Long story short = they'll lose an enormous amount in regards to revenue due to it.

The people who dislike the comments the most are the majority of the authors of the articles. They hate the bickering and they constantly complain to editors that the comments are pointless and draw away from the real story that they slaved so hard to write.. They're happy the comments are gone. Some would even demand comments be turned off on their articles.. which they allowed to be turned off from time to time.

But this affects revenue in a serious way. The adverts they post on their page are directly related to hit counts. At first CNN will try to say their hit counts are more accurate now and each hit is worth more than before since there's not a plethora of hits from one user refreshing the page... But the number of visitors will decline rapidly also. So not only are individual hits, but also unique visitors will both go down. Once the unique visitors drop, the cost advertisers pay CNN to show their adverts will drop substantially.

All this will happen because many 'readers' at CNN are there for the comments and comments alone. They read the headline, and then straight to the comments. Others are there to read a article and then express their opinion about it. And of course some are there to just read articles and they pay little to no attention to the comments. Once the comments are completely (or almost completely) shut down, a large portion will stop frequenting CNN as much. And once their traffic diminishes, their revenue from adverts diminishes, and then they'll bring the comments back.

You, hell even THEY might think that they're doing something good...they're keeping people from arguing, and making it easier on themselves...but what it all boils down to ...is the main one calling shots cares about revenue first and foremost... give it 2 to 3 months and comments will be back in full force. All because they want more money.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
"When will he be stopped? Praying that America wakes up!"

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Long story short = they'll lose an enormous amount in regards to revenue due to it.

No they won't. They're selling news; a comments section monopolized by a few malcontents who have waaay too much time on their hands and are desperate for a soapbox on which to broadcast their every uninformed opinion not only doesn't add to their product, it detracts. And advertisers want unique IPs and click-throughs -- the totality of the F5-ing to spout and bicker probably doesn't add up to more than a couple hundred bucks.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
They turned them off because they were tired of having to moderate the insane amount of comments left by White Nationalists and Black Panther types

I read CNN quite often at work and most of the time they would close the comments after an a few hours of posting the story because people were just being disgusting and couldn't stay civil.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
They turned them off because they were tired of having to moderate the insane amount of comments left by White Nationalists and Black Panther types

I read CNN quite often at work and most of the time they would close the comments after an a few hours of posting the story because people were just being disgusting and couldn't stay civil.
What's really disturbing is how many people will write crazy shit under their real name. Some of it is worse than the worst trolling on this site, but the person is dead serious.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
lol look at the people defending it.

that's some good propoganda yo.
CNN.com is a privately owned website. Which means that, on their website, they can pretty much do whatever the hell they want. No propaganda required.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
What's really disturbing is how many people will write crazy shit under their real name. Some of it is worse than the worst trolling on this site, but the person is dead serious.
Seriously, you should spend some time on Facebook. Forget real names, they'll post crazy where all their family, friends, and co-workers can get a notification.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Seriously, you should spend some time on Facebook. Forget real names, they'll post crazy where all their family, friends, and co-workers can get a notification.

You mean like this peach of a quote from a friend of a friend on Facebook?

"Everything he said is covered in the Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion. The Synagogue of Satan is hiding behind Judaism, just as Jesus said in John 8:44"

From someone who said they were a missionary.

ggllson

Aug 27, 2014
I don't think so.

This situation, in my opinion, brings about vast, vast, vast overwhelming numbers of opinions based on emotions rather than intellect and reasonable discussion.

Comments are disabled most likely because the majority are little more than childish shouting and name calling.

I don't fault cnn at all.

You might because you have an opinion you believe the world is itching to hear and dammit you want your opinion heard! Well, guess what, you have a gazillion other places around the internet to voice your opinion.

Nobody cares that you cannot voice your opinion in the cnn comment section.

No, actually cnn seems to like the childish opinionated comments. I have posted comments on their site that either add facts to the article or prove part of the article wrong. My comment then gets deleted. They do not like truth. They do not like a rational debate between commenters either. Cnn wants to look like the smartest person in the room and it seems too many people are posting facts that cnn didn't catch for their article so now they are doing away with comments.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
wow, 11k views already. people are wisening up to the propaganda.

oh and im back. i will create 3x more threads for your entertainment. lul

Feb 4, 2009
Because when you find the real root of any issue dealing with the middle east then find the conflict was based on a lie/deception then all hell would break lose in America.

So I am sure Psyops from the pentagon advised them to close the comment section down just because certain real truth were coming out while the reporters kept cheerleading for the opposition for eternal wars and the end time cults.

The above is one side of it and the other side of it is dealing with immature jerks who did not like the real answers they found in the comments section because it violated their faith in the new world order.

So yeah kinda sad when the main mod is one of those factions who love this war and loves seeing people dying for a cause that has nothing to do with America even though USA blood is shed for them.

So yeah. Sick evil cults are the main cause of this and I have data that can back up my claim on this.

I'm just here to see if this data has been revealed yet

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
The internet has pretty much crushed whatever faith I had in the decency of humanity.