Why can't I install EAC on this laptop?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I downloaded and installed on my mini-tower system a few days ago, used it to great effect. But the dang SSD in the mini-tower seems to have imploded and can't use the system. No worries, I have this laptop (also Win10 64 Pro). But I can't install Exact Audio Copy for some reason. Downloaded the ver. 1.5 installer and I get a dialog saying it's not Microsoft approved. I click Install anyway, and nothing happens. I tried everything, rebooting, try install with nothing else open, same exact behavior.

Please, can someone provide a clue why I'm having this problem. An internet search wasn't productive. Thanks!

Moved from OT.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Well, I've been meaning to install EAC on this Win10 64 (non-pro) machine anyway, so I went ahead and did it now.
However, it worked correctly, didn't even give me a prompt saying it's not Microsoft approved, so I'm afraid I don't have any help for you. I got it from this mirror linked on their site, FWIW: https://www.fosshub.com/Exact-Audio-Copy.html

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Well, I've been meaning to install EAC on this Win10 64 (non-pro) machine anyway, so I went ahead and did it now.
However, it worked correctly, didn't even give me a prompt saying it's not Microsoft approved, so I'm afraid I don't have any help for you. I got it from this mirror linked on their site, FWIW: https://www.fosshub.com/Exact-Audio-Copy.html
Hmm. I was at that page yesterday, not 100% positive the DL worked, but have around 6 copies of the installation file in my DL folder, vers. 1.5, 4.9MB. Well, DLed it again and this time the install went fine, just as you described!!! :oops:

Reactions: nakedfrog

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Hmm. I was at that page yesterday, not 100% positive the DL worked, but have around 6 copies of the installation file in my DL folder, vers. 1.5, 4.9MB. Well, DLed it again and this time the install went fine, just as you described!!! :oops:

So you finally ripping all the CDs? Install foobar2000 and flac executable and you can convert to flac easily through foobar200 interface.

Assuming you didn't convert in EAC of course.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So you finally ripping all the CDs? Install foobar2000 and flac executable and you can convert to flac easily through foobar200 interface.

Assuming you didn't convert in EAC of course.
I tend to rip all my CDs using imgburn to .bin & .cue files and store on my backed up NAS. That way I can recreate all of them in case of who knows what.

Flac, well, have never used it. Don't know how it would work into my usage patterns. My CD players are pretty convenient. Granted they are room specific, but with CD Text on all my CD's (I do that too), and my DIY data reports on my players I can play any CD I want, go to whatever track quickly and at a glance at the player screen see the track title. Press a button I can see the artist or title of the CD. I have no info concerning the _convenience_ of a flac rip system.

The reason I am installing EAC is because it supports ripping CD's to MP3s using CD Text for song titles. Windows Media Player evidently does not support that.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I tend to rip all my CDs using imgburn to .bin & .cue files and store on my backed up NAS. That way I can recreate all of them in case of who knows what.

Flac, well, have never used it. Don't know how it would work into my usage patterns. My CD players are pretty convenient. Granted they are room specific, but with CD Text on all my CD's (I do that too), and my DIY data reports on my players I can play any CD I want, go to whatever track quickly and at a glance at the player screen see the track title. Press a button I can see the artist or title of the CD. I have no info concerning the _convenience_ of a flac rip system.

The reason I am installing EAC is because it supports ripping CD's to MP3s using CD Text for song titles. Windows Media Player evidently does not support that.

you can use eac and encode to flac with all the same info. no loss of quality and save drive space.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
you can use eac and encode to flac with all the same info. no loss of quality and save drive space.
But can I recreate my CDs if lost? And how would I use those FLAC? What's the usage pattern, means?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
But can I recreate my CDs if lost? And how would I use those FLAC? What's the usage pattern, means?

huh? you play them in Windows, linux and Android. MacOS and iOS as well .
you can add all the songs back to a CD as well from the flac. as in burn an audio cd from flac, as long as you save the cue file created you can recreate the cd

Example Foobar2000 on Android

Screenshot_20201016-143532.png

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Alright, yes, I figured computer operating systems. So I would listen either with my smartphones (earbuds) or having one of my computers feed the signal to a sound system somehow.

I have a mini-stereo in the kitchen, a receiver in my bedroom, another in my "computer room." I don't listen to music in that last room, normally, unless it's off the receiver in there. That receiver's used primarily to feed FM into a computer that records MP3s off FM

I listen to music sometimes using my smartphones but usually instead using the receiver in the bedroom or the mini-stereo in the kitchen, which is connected to my 301 disc CD players, a TT, and a computer. That computer is usually asleep. I'm not sure I want that computer on to hear music, is the thing. It's attached to a 43" monitor which has to be turned on and off separately. One reason is it's a mini-tower system and the PSU makes some noise. Not a lot, but enough where it's not a pristine listening environment. Of course, the refrigerator turns on and off, so there's that. But to listen to a CD that's ripped to FLAC I'd have to have that computer on (or a laptop, if I go that way) in the kitchen. Same in the bedroom. I generally have a laptop in there, but not wired to anything but its charger. To feed my receiver in there with FLAC I'd need a wired connection to the laptop. Not exactly ergonomic when lying in bed.

These are the thoughts I always have when I consider ripping to FLAC instead of just using my big multi disc CD players in my kitchen and bedroom. I have two in each, daisy chained. Of course, there's limited space in the CD players, so that's a drawback, as well as the hassles of keeping track of what's where with my database.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Alright, yes, I figured computer operating systems. So I would listen either with my smartphones (earbuds) or having one of my computers feed the signal to a sound system somehow.

I have a mini-stereo in the kitchen, a receiver in my bedroom, another in my "computer room." I don't listen to music in that last room, normally, unless it's off the receiver in there. That receiver's used primarily to feed FM into a computer that records MP3s off FM

I listen to music sometimes using my smartphones but usually instead using the receiver in the bedroom or the mini-stereo in the kitchen, which is connected to my 301 disc CD players, a TT, and a computer. That computer is usually asleep. I'm not sure I want that computer on to hear music, is the thing. It's attached to a 43" monitor which has to be turned on and off separately. One reason is it's a mini-tower system and the PSU makes some noise. Not a lot, but enough where it's not a pristine listening environment. Of course, the refrigerator turns on and off, so there's that. But to listen to a CD that's ripped to FLAC I'd have to have that computer on (or a laptop, if I go that way) in the kitchen. Same in the bedroom. I generally have a laptop in there, but not wired to anything but its charger. To feed my receiver in there with FLAC I'd need a wired connection to the laptop. Not exactly ergonomic when lying in bed.

These are the thoughts I always have when I consider ripping to FLAC instead of just using my big multi disc CD players in my kitchen and bedroom. I have two in each, daisy chained. Of course, there's limited space in the CD players, so that's a drawback, as well as the hassles of keeping track of what's where with my database.

you could get a few chromecast audio. use your phone as controller. plus side is you can do internet stream to these as well. I use a DLNA plugin for Foobar2000 and I can stream the music to any of my home devices. I could have added them to PLEX but I dislike the sheer number of files it generates for 1 music file.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
you could get a few chromecast audio. use your phone as controller. plus side is you can do internet stream to these as well. I use a DLNA plugin for Foobar2000 and I can stream the music to any of my home devices.

Thanks! That's pretty much what I used to think when I pondered FLAC. But I never encountered such a device. Nobody else suggested anything. Cool!

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Thanks! That's pretty much what I used to think when I pondered FLAC. But I never encountered such a device. Nobody else suggested anything. Cool!

gadgets outnumber humans 5:1 in this household XD

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I think I figured out your installer issue, your system may block downloaded exe files and you need to unblock first in properties.
Comme ça

download unblock.png

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I think I figured out your installer issue, your system may block downloaded exe files and you need to unlock first in properties.
Yeah, I sorta thought that but clicking the button on that warning screen for changing my system's security for installations brought up nothing. The dialog went nowhere every time. I had to just click the X at the top right and be done with it until it did install from the one linked above by nakedfrog. Normally, I have no issues on this machine, so dunno what was going on.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
added screenshot :p
Um, just saw the screenshot. Trying to make sense of it... thanks. Uh, so I could go to properties for the install exe and look for that unblock checkbox I guess.

Question: That device you told me about, wifi audio. How sensitive/good is the wifi. My kitchen is downstairs, my Asus router's upstairs and not directly overhead. I guess my cell phone gets wifi there but if that Chromecast thing isn't sensitive it may not give me clear and problem free audio at the mini-stereo is my concern. Can you speak to that??? Thanks!

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Um, just saw the screenshot. Trying to make sense of it... thanks. Uh, so I could go to properties for the install exe and look for that unblock checkbox I guess.

Question: That device you told me about, wifi audio. How sensitive/good is the wifi. My kitchen is downstairs, my Asus router's upstairs and not directly overhead. I guess my cell phone gets wifi there but if that Chromecast thing isn't sensitive it may not give me clear and problem free audio at the mini-stereo is my concern. Can you speak to that??? Thanks!

Couldn't tell you. It is dual band and usually there are no issues with 2.4GHz penetration in an A Frame house.

wirelessenabled

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
I downloaded and installed on my mini-tower system a few days ago, used it to great effect. But the dang SSD in the mini-tower seems to have imploded and can't use the system. No worries, I have this laptop (also Win10 64 Pro). But I can't install Exact Audio Copy for some reason. Downloaded the ver. 1.5 installer and I get a dialog saying it's not Microsoft approved. I click Install anyway, and nothing happens. I tried everything, rebooting, try install with nothing else open, same exact behavior.

Please, can someone provide a clue why I'm having this problem. An internet search wasn't productive. Thanks!

Moved from OT.
admin allisolm

Go buy a cheap laptop with Windows 7 on it as a dedicated EAC machine. Available for under $100. I use a Windows 7 Pro Dell Latitude E4310 with EAC 1.1 & LAME. Cost me all of $50. Not worth much work when $50 solves the problem. Small size and stores easily.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Go buy a cheap laptop with Windows 7 on it as a dedicated EAC machine. Available for under $100. I use a Windows 7 Pro Dell Latitude E4310 with EAC 1.1 & LAME. Cost me all of $50. Not worth much work when $50 solves the problem. Small size and stores easily.
I have an HP laptop with Vista on it I keep at my volunteer gig, a Lenovo T60 with XP for special utility usage. Also an XP mid-tower system for legacy TV DVR usage.

Right now, I think I can manage EAC in Windows 10. Don't know what interfered with installing ver. 1.5 on this laptop but it's here now, and AFAIK works OK. I'm not deep in it but have used it before and was delighted when I figured out how to get it to honor CD Text to the extent that it used it when ripping to MP3. Needed an internet search to find that:
- - - -
"Drive Options > Drive > CD-Text Read Capable Drive" and Enabled (checked) it. Also, "Drive Read Command" is set to "Autodetect."

menu > Database > Get CD Information From > CD-TEXT

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
If your legacy dvr box is running all the time just throw foobar on there and add the DLNA component and you got your music server.

EAC can also fetch cddb info so it can name the tracks

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
If your legacy dvr box is running all the time just throw foobar on there and add the DLNA component and you got your music server.
That box is only on when I'm DVRing TV, which I used to do a few times a week but rarely now that I have Roku TVs. They DVR, badly, but they do it without bugs, particularly. The DVR box's software is buggy, however, far more full featured than the Roku TVs in terms of DVR (they do 90 minutes only, are not programmable and change the channel and they have total amnesia).

Maybe what you say would work somehow with my on-all-the-time NAS, a Synology DS2014play. I've always figured I could set it up as a music server somehow. I do have a lot of music on it, but don't often stream from it. Only when at the computer or occasionally in the kitchen I have a computer play music from it and have line-out go to a mini-system driving bookshelf speakers.

More often, I listen to the XLNT college radio station I DJ at! My listening "habits" are a jumble, I'm not really consistent, is what I'm saying.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
There is a Plex docker for Synology.
Yes, I haven't looked into it much. When I did, maybe 2015 or so, it seemed to be a platform, a work in progress, very much so. Some features of my NAS were hopefully going to be supported. I didn't play around with that stuff much. I realize there's a ton of functionality I could be getting out of my NAS that I'm not, but I am sure getting a lot anyway. The most important thing for me that I'm getting out of it is accessibility to all my important data from all my machines, reliability in securing that data from loss as well (mirrored HDs in the NAS and backups of it, occasionally stored off site).

Also, the setting up and implementation of PLEX server system(s) with my NAS, it wasn't at all clear to me how that was done, what if anything I had to buy or pay for on a yearly basis. I tried with minimal success to set up streaming movies from the NAS. Part of the problem probably because my DVR box didn't like working with network data. Local OK.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
There is a Plex docker for Synology. Emby is another option.

Or just use Synology's solution

Yeah, my NAS is really something. Mostly works pretty well, been reliable. It does get confused and I have to "Clear SMB Cache" occasionally. Doing that takes a few minutes, unfortunately. I asked a CSR if there was a shortcut, some utility that would do it but was told "no." Gotta go to the web interface, open an applet, click a button, scroll way down, click another button, then click another button. It's dumb. But it fixes major latency that arises occasionally.