Why can't I connect to any search engines???

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by JJ650, Oct 4, 2003.

1. JJ650

JJ650 Golden Member

THis may sound odd, but every search engine site (Google,yahoo,altavista, etc.) that I try to connect to times out! EVERY single time. I know my connection is up and running (otherwise I would not be able to ask the question here), and any other site I try comes up just fine. I can connect to my email server and access it and send receive emails.

Even stranger is that fact that my laptop is able to connect to these sites without a hitch. It shares the same cable modem via a router. I have not made any changes to my internet setup and any changes on the laptop. This problem is new. Started happening around Thursayd afternoon I guess. I figured it was just the site down. 2 days later it's still happening and the other comp can access those sites without a hitch.

Has anyone else ran into this sort of problem? It really is frusturating.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - connect search engines Forum Date
    When opening 5 YouTube videos at once all at highest quality get stuck at connecting state in Firefo Software for Windows Jan 19, 2017
    Windows update searching for update. 18 hours later. Software for Windows Jan 9, 2017
    TeamViewer "NOT READY: Please Check your connection" Software for Windows Jun 29, 2016
    export/import registry entry to make Samsung Rugby 4 connection through KIES Software for Windows Mar 16, 2016
    Plex Media Server and remote connection problems Software for Windows Feb 14, 2016

3. kt

kt Diamond Member

Google is your friend.. oh wait a minute.. :D

I think this the core of your problem:

Qhosts-1 trojan

In case you can't get to that site, here's the removal instructions:

Manual Removal Instructions

1. Apply the MS03-040 patch

2. Delete the following files:

%WinDir%\Help\hosts
    %WinDir%\winlog

3. Set the following registry key value (Information on editing registry keys ):
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\
    Tcpip\Parameters "DataBasePath" = %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc

4. Delete the following registry key value (Information on deleting registry keys ):
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\
    Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\windows "r0x"

5. Reconfigure your DNS server settings as desired

6. Reconfigure your Internet Explorer settings as desired

4. JJ650

JJ650 Golden Member

WOOT! Thanks KT. That did the trick. You might want to stick a "reboot the system" in there somewhere when someone else needs help again. I slapped myself after about the 10th time trying and it still didn't work. "STUPID! REBOOT!!"

After that, it works fine now. Thanks man! You rock! :D

5. kt

kt Diamond Member

Yeah..although reboot is not required, it's recommended.

If you're on a DHCP enabled network, renewing your DHCP lease would've done the trick.