Why can't be have standard size Lithum ion batteries?

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
This is what really drives me crazy about the direction portable electronic stuff has taken.

I used to go on vacation, take my portable CD player and 20 or so AA batteries and never have to worry about recharging.

This new recharge every night idea does not fit my lifestyle. If I use my iPod, it is going to be because I am on vacation or something and will not be able to recharge it for a week or two.

So why can't we come up with a standard for rechargeable lithium-ion batteries?

I know you are going to argue that manufacturers can make smaller and more stylish products, but I do not think that is so true.

SD cards, CF cards, mini-SD cards - this is a standard that every company can make their device conform to.

I do not see why they could not conform to a new set battery standards so we do not need 75 different proprietary batteries and rechargers . There could be L, LL, LLL, etc batteries that come in all sizes like current batteries do.

Anyone agree with me?

effowe

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Look at this

I understand what you are saying about the "convenience" of being able to pop new batteries in your device, but is it really all that convenient? I think it's better these days that you can recharge your device however you want. iPods also come with usb adapters that plug into the wall so you can charge them out of a standard plug, no computer required. If you look at the link I supplied you can also charge them with batteries (like you want.) We are not going to go back to standard batteries anytime soon. It creates less waste and is more convenient in the long run as you don't have to carry around numerous batteries to play your music.

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
Originally posted by: effowe
Look at this

I understand what you are saying about the "convenience" of being able to pop new batteries in your device, but is it really all that convenient? I think it's better these days that you can recharge your device however you want. iPods also come with usb adapters that plug into the wall so you can charge them out of a standard plug, no computer required. If you look at the link I supplied you can also charge them with batteries (like you want.) We are not going to go back to standard batteries anytime soon. It creates less waste and is more convenient in the long run as you don't have to carry around numerous batteries to play your music.

That's cute.

Hmm extra tiny 2 oz rechargeable lithium battery or drag a giant wall charger, look for somewhere to plug it in, buy a plug adapter if you are in another country, oh, and then not be able to use the device while it is in the other room charging.

It would create less waste. I never said anything about them being disposable.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Lithium batteries are a 3V chemistry. Alkaline is 1.5V

...do you see where I'm going with this Mr. Plug a 120V hair dryer into a 230V outlet?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: eflatmajor
Look at this

That's cute.

Hmm extra tiny 2 oz rechargeable lithium battery or drag a giant wall charger, look for somewhere to plug it in, buy a plug adapter if you are in another country, oh, and then not be able to use the device while it is in the other room charging.

You're willing to carry "20 or so" AAs with you anywhere, but a wall charger pisses you off?

That doesn't make sense.

I don't disagree with your idea that batteries should be standardized, but this just doesn't make sense.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Most of these batteries are custom designed to fit the size of the unit.

A Macbook AIR battery needs to be extra slim to fit the dimensions of the unit, whereas a Fujitsu lifebook is more of an add-on.

A Cellphone battery is completely different in size as well.

No to mention the mAh output that different devices need to thrive.

It's a breakthrough to be able to make rechargable, custom batteries. I for one am glad I don't have to have my devices conform to some ugly form factor simply to make the batteries work.

Heck, a double A is thicker than my phone, and two of them on top of each other would be thicker than my laptop.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Amused
Originally posted by: eflatmajor
Look at this

That's cute.

You're willing to carry "20 or so" AAs with you anywhere, but a wall charger pisses you off?

That doesn't make sense.

I don't disagree with your idea that batteries should be standardized, but this just doesn't make sense.

I think he's looking for a system that you don't have to recharge the battery and wait, just take the old battery out and replace it with a new, still rechargeable battery. It is a great idea once you get the hang of it, I used to do that with my PSP and carry 2 extra batteries with a full charge and charge the dead ones at night.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Look at this

HaHa... Yea take that through the airport and see if you don;t get stopped. :laugh:

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Look at this

jp said something rips the dude a new one further down in the comments for poor design:p

you can buy ipod charge battery packs that either are liion or run off aa's as well anyways.
like the apc power pack..lion ion battery with usb plug on it.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
It's not a bad idea, but space comes at such a premium with some of these device designs (think iPod Nano, Motorola RAZR, etc) that I'd imagine it be difficult to strike a balance between universal compatibility and easily adaptable form factor.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Originally posted by: MrChad
It's not a bad idea, but space comes at such a premium with some of these device designs (think iPod Nano, Motorola RAZR, etc) that I'd imagine it be difficult to strike a balance between universal compatibility and easily adaptable form factor.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007

Safety - charging Li ion batteries requires a charge controller, designed for the specific battery. If you were to put the wrong battery with the wrong controller it wouldn't just leak like most current rechargeables do, it could explode or burst into flames. Remember all the laptop recalls ?

Cost - current Nimh batteries work fine for the devices out there and are cheap. They also aren't likely to catch fire :)