Why can't ARM

todpod

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2001
make a desktop reference board for everyone to built to.

The reason I ask is. It appears to me that every ARM board needs its own custom OS. This includes the Raspberry PI and VIA board on Newegg. It would make sense to me to do to builtd a eco system for their chips. I do understand that their business is the embedded market and this probably won't happen from them. Maybe a group such as the PI people can do that, at least there would be a lowest common denominator to built off of, this would also allow the PI people to focus on the software not hardware, because everyone could built PI compatible boards. I think if a common reference point so that embedded user could use off the self board would benefit hobbyists as well.

So this is were i am coming from, I am a social worker not a computer professional. My first computer built was a 286-16 running DOS 4. I built a bunch of computer using chips like the 386sx and 486slc.. I kind of like the idea of having everything built in ready to go and then load up the OS. I would imagine the install for Ubuntu on ARM wouldn't look much different then x86 . I do intend to buy a PI for me and my son to play with.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Arm is all about systems on a chip. They are not trying to make PC like combinable components but fully integrated systems within one piece of silicon. Whenever someone else is doing that final product and there no standards on how, ao its impossible to wrote drivers that will always work.

This is one reason I do not look forward to the day when PCs stop being made, the inability to choose hardware will be the day monopolies take over and kill all progress. Arm customers are all helping make things worse with each step towards smaller and more integrates.

todpod

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2001
It kind of sad the hobbyist market is biggest enough to drive the market, but it does look promising if they can get things work along the same line. It would be nice to Ubuntu on ARM and it just work. I do understand the main market for ARM and its no me at least at this level.

On that note however is there any other players, I remember back in the day when Windows NT was coming, everybody was talking about alternatives to x86 such as Alpha, MIPS and PowerPC. Are there any players like that anymore?

CAlbertson

Dec 15, 2012

The reason I ask is. It appears to me that every ARM board needs its own custom OS. This includes the Raspberry PI and VIA board on Newegg. It would make sense to me to do to builtd a eco system for their chips. I do understand that their business is the embedded market and this probably won't happen from them. Maybe a group such as the PI people can do that, at least there would be a lowest common denominator to built off of, this would also allow the PI people to focus on the software not hardware, because everyone could built PI compatible boards. I think if a common reference point so that embedded user could use off the self board would benefit hobbyists as well.

So this is were i am coming from, I am a social worker not a computer professional. My first computer built was a 286-16 running DOS 4. I built a bunch of computer using chips like the 386sx and 486slc.. I kind of like the idea of having everything built in ready to go and then load up the OS. I would imagine the install for Ubuntu on ARM wouldn't look much different then x86 . I do intend to buy a PI for me and my son to play with.

There IS a "standard" Arm based platform for Linux. It is mass produced in the millions and even outsells most every Intel based motherboard. It is called "Android".

For decades the Linux people kept asking "When will Linux go mainstream?" Well it has it is inside (almost) every Smart phone and table that is not running IOS. (Yes there are a few running Win 8, and so others but that is pretty minor)

That is what Arm is all about, embedded platforms. So if you like to load up an OS, buy an Adroid then "wipe" it clean and do a fresh Linux install.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Because ARM doesn't make and sell chips. They make and sell CPU and GPU designs. The licensees then make the rest. Imagine if each PC vendor had their own definition for what BIOS or EUFI aught to be? You'd need to customize the bootloader and OS kernel for each vendor's family, rather significantly, instead of just doing minor fixes. But, that's where ARM is at, right now. It's getting better, but at its own leisurely pace.

There IS a "standard" Arm based platform for Linux. It is mass produced in the millions and even outsells most every Intel based motherboard. It is called "Android".
You can't just take any Android image, and boot it up. IE, they need their own custom Android ROM, which is just the sort of thing the OP is talking about.

OTOH, you can boot any old x86 Linux on any old x86 system. That's a huge difference. The same Debian 32-bit image will work on just about anything from a 486 to the latest gen Core, sans a few PCMCIA controllers, and many AMD and VIA designs in between. The same 64-bit image will work on anything from an early K8 the latest CPUs, as well.

That's possible with some Android-powered phones and tablets, but it's not the norm, it is not expected, and it is not required.

todpod

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2001
I guess what I am hoping for is something like the raspberry PI, that is a little more expandable. Maybe have memory slots and a couple other tweaks. Newegg has a VIA ARM board that runs android, I would sooner run Ubuntu.