Why can't AMD overtake Nvidia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

7beauties

Mar 24, 2008
With very few exceptions, AMD's GPUs always trail Nvidia's. Of course, some of this is because Nvidia's flagship cards are expensive and AMD is comfortable being the bargain champ. But I've recently discovered that Jen-Hsun Huang, CEO and co-founder of Nvidia, is Lisa Su's uncle, for crying out loud. I wouldn't want to war with my relative, either.

Moved from FS/FT.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: spursindonesia

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
A lot of people seem to forget that AMD is fighting against two monsterously huge competitors (Intel and Nvidia) on two entirely separate product fronts (CPUs and GPUs) with limited resources. Up to now, I'm sure they have poured resources into Ryzen first and foremost because that was the product that was going to make or break the company.

Now that Ryzen (and Intel's mostly unexpected managerial ineptitude) has given them some breathing room, I fully expect they'll try to swing more resources towards the GPU side. However, Nvidia hasn't made Intel's mistakes so it'll be an uphill battle for them.

Feb 4, 2009
I’ll give my 10,000 foot overview in a likely troll thread.
For whatever reason AMD focuses on the value segment with good enough performance. Really hard to be the market leader with that mindset.
Now Ryzen has changed that thinking, maybe soon we will see a new AMD regarding graphics and we could see intel enter the field as the value/good enough player but again pure guessing.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
What is really so terrible in not having the top performing graphics card? Honest question.

Yeah, I know everyone talks margins, but the volumes are relatively small.
And for the required car analogy, is a Hyundai or any such car considered a failure when compared to a Bugatti? When Zen came, it led mainly in price/performance and began a huge movement continuing today.

The fanboi movement distorts our view. Sure, I like to read about top of the line cards but will never buy one. Waste of money for the results you get and I have other interests sharing my time, the only limited resource.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
But I've recently discovered that Jen-Hsun Huang, CEO and co-founder of Nvidia, is Lisa Su's uncle, for crying out loud.
This is incorrect, they are NOT related.

Besides, if you think the CEO of one corporation would get away with deliberately holding back just to not step on the ego of another CEO of another corporation... Besides again, if you think Su, who has been fiercely loyal to AMD ever since she first started on as leader of the company, even when every single day was their darkest days, would deliberately gimp their products for the sake of JHH... Well all I can say is you've got another thing coming. :)

Reactions: prtskg and Tlh97

DamZe

May 18, 2016
For many PC gamers AMD is the best choice for the money. Sure they don't have some epic Halo product that 1% of PC gamers can afford, but Radeon is alive and well, doing its job (and doing it well) in countless gaming PCs.

And going by what Ampere is rumored to cost, nVidia is going to have to beg people to buy their products in this economy...

Reactions: Tlh97

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Alright guys, this is getting closed as it has only the potential to turn into a nasty Nvidia vs AMD thread. Remember to avoid the name general accusation of fanboy as well. Thanks.
1598198082088.png

Status
Not open for further replies.