Why can bad guys in FPS games...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: soydios
Crysis, even on Bauer difficulty, become a cakewalk once you figure out how to use stealth. simple and effective: take the FY71, mount the laser and sniper scope, and cloak. line up the headshot, switch to strength mode, take the shot, switch back to cloak mode. you can take out an entire squad without them ever knowing where you are.

you must have a different version of the game than i do because as soon as i shoot, silenced or not, they all become alert ot my presence.

The silencer doesn't work at close range, you gotta be around 40 yards out. The silenced pistol can be used within 5 yards w/o them knowing the location of the shot.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: irishScott
Originally posted by: Modelworks
You want the real truth ?
Because if they made it realistic, where one shot disables, two shots kills, the game would be very short.

I've noticed a trend in games of late that in order to lengthen the game they up the difficulty by making enemies harder to kill.

Games that suffered from this recently.

Moh: Airborne - super nazi soldiers , which I think hurt the image of the game using the airborne name. Was fairly realistic till then.

Cod4: - lots of areas where length was extended by 'super soldiers'

Of course crysis.

Not an FPS, but Splinter Cell used that formula (although it took 3/4 rounds for fisher to die), and the game was anything but short.

That's because they exchange killing time, for slowly moving around time.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
almost always survive that full clip of ammo you shot into them?
A single shot to the head is usually all it takes. In Crysis I put my assault rifles into single shot mode and use the scope for exactly this reason.

the most recent game with this problem is Crysis. msot of the koreans are obviously not wearing any kind of body armor at all, yet they take forever to kill
I'm pretty sure almost all of them have body armor, if not all of them.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: TheVrolok

That's because they exchange killing time, for slowly moving around time.
LMAO, well said.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: BFG10K
almost always survive that full clip of ammo you shot into them?
A single shot to the head is usually all it takes. In Crysis I put my assault rifles into single shot mode and use the scope for exactly this reason.

the most recent game with this problem is Crysis. msot of the koreans are obviously not wearing any kind of body armor at all, yet they take forever to kill
I'm pretty sure almost all of them have body armor, if not all of them.

ditto.
Most of the guys I saw were walking around in gorrilla suits packed full of armor...
Taking the silencer off sure does help when doing body shots though. At any rate aim for the head and boom! one shot one kill.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Crysis, even on Bauer difficulty, become a cakewalk once you figure out how to use stealth. simple and effective: take the FY71, mount the laser and sniper scope, and cloak. line up the headshot, switch to strength mode, take the shot, switch back to cloak mode. you can take out an entire squad without them ever knowing where you are.

Why switch to strength mode when shooting instead of armor mode? If you pull the trigger really hard does the bullet go faster?

Remember sniping from 200 yards out in Far Cry? The bastards would come running directly at you no matter how well you were hidden hehe

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Why is it that you can run faster when you switch from a rocket launcher to a knife? Are you supposed to be lighter after you put your rocket launcher into your "magical anti-gravity holster?"

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006

you must have a different version of the game than i do because as soon as i shoot, silenced or not, they all become alert ot my presence.

They're not alert to your presence. At first, they'll all look around in fairly random directions. After several shots, some will go in your direction. Take those out and the others won't know. Their detection is based entirely on sight and sound. They can see the undergrowth shifting when you move prone through the brush, and they hear you knocking something over in the house next to them.

katank

Jul 18, 2008
Yep, they don't have hax detection. Use cloak to move about and prone if not in cloak. Always use undergrowth for cover. Silencer is a must.

Anyone try Assassin's AI tweaks for Delta? That thing is brutal. A regular KPA can take you down in a single burst if you aren't in armor mode. So much for the super soldier thing.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
almost always survive that full clip of ammo you shot into them? it's so annoying.
the most recent game with this problem is Crysis. msot of the koreans are obviously not wearing any kind of body armor at all, yet they take forever to kill.

See the following thread:

http://forums.anandtech.com/me...210086&highlight_key=y

The "survive a whole clip" thing has been discussed and debunked. You're doing it wrong :)

(yes, yes...magazine for the picky)

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
I didn't see anything I'd call debunking in there. Care to point to the exact post?

At any rate, It might not be a while clip, but basic Koreans do take an absurd number of hits to the chest to go down. And yet a single headshot generally drops then.
Unless they're nanosuited. Those guys are just annoyingly over healthed.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Short Bursts. I haven't played Crysis, but Short Bursts is pretty standard fair for FPS games with some Realism integrated.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: warcrow
almost always survive that full clip of ammo you shot into them? it's so annoying.
the most recent game with this problem is Crysis. msot of the koreans are obviously not wearing any kind of body armor at all, yet they take forever to kill.

feel free to add your own ending to the question in the title.

Aim.

Fixed :p

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
Originally posted by: PhatoseAlpha
I didn't see anything I'd call debunking in there. Care to point to the exact post?

At any rate, It might not be a while clip, but basic Koreans do take an absurd number of hits to the chest to go down. And yet a single headshot generally drops then.
Unless they're nanosuited. Those guys are just annoyingly over healthed.

pfft just use the tactical dart on them

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
way to necro a thread, guys.

i'm no newbie to FPS games but the enemies still take awhile to take down. it should be like in CoD4.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I have no idea what you're talking about - I just started another play through of Crysis on delta. I think it's absurdly easy (I just got to the second "part" of the game now), I probably used dual pistols for 60% of the game thus far. It's get near, stealth, get closer. Head shot, hide, restealth, rinse and repeat. Cake. Headshots kill instantly, period. Maybe every once and awhile you'll hit the helmet in an odd spot and it'll pop off on the first shot, in which case the second shot is lethal. Oh, and a lot of the Koreans are absolutely wearing full suits of body armor.

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
Its because your asking for realism of your enemies but not you own character. Sure if you are wearing a full suit of body armor you might last in a firefight with more than one opponent but I can assure you with forces that are equally eguiped numbers win, skill and experience have little to do with it. And even with vastly superior equipment numbers eventually win.

Most games try to keep you alive by limiting your susceptability to gun fire or sword but to keep it fair they must do the same to your opponent. simple.

Although I have never been in a live firefight, I have noted one thing playing paintball. I almost never saw the guy that got me untill afterward.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: mattpegher
Its because your asking for realism of your enemies but not you own character. Sure if you are wearing a full suit of body armor you might last in a firefight with more than one opponent but I can assure you with forces that are equally eguiped numbers win, skill and experience have little to do with it. And even with vastly superior equipment numbers eventually win.

Nah - I want the same rules for me and my enemies. And it is definately possible to win in these situations. COD4 multiplayer for example? After COD4 I can hardly play any other FPS. If I shoot someone in the face with an assault rifle they should f*king die - it's not difficult to implement.

Although I have never been in a live firefight, I have noted one thing playing paintball. I almost never saw the guy that got me untill afterward.

Exactly, awareness is the most important thing, they'll tell you that on day one of any martial arts training. In the game you need to be quick, you need to to have good movement, and you need to know the maps.

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
Most of the FPS that allowed single shot death or disabilty were a bit frustrating because you would be turning a corner or sneeking up when someone beaned you from a position of cover that you didn't see. You had to reload from a prior save and try again only this time you knew where that guy was so that wasn't exactly realistic either. Most guards in real life situations also have sniper support or tower support and it is entirely unlikely that you could kill one without alerting the entire camp. All this makes for difficult gaming.

The best you can hope for is that your character is vastly superior in equipment thus the chance that you would take a hit in an area not covered in body armor is low but possible.

An engine that allowed for a random chance that you would bite it from recieving fire and otherwise completely protected you from armor shots would be very realistic but not very popular.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004

That's because Koreans are stubborn and tough as nails.

SniperDaws

Aug 14, 2007

feel free to add your own ending to the question in the title.

this is the same reason i didnt buy STALKER, and is also the reason why FarCry 2 will be shit aswell, ive seen a preview of farcry 2 with the narrator mentioned realism about 30 times in 5mins all the while showing gameplay of Farcry 2 looking anything but realistic with the main character running around like he was playing Quake........utter bollocks.

i want to be worried about approaching an enemy without thinking if the shit hits the fan i can take on 50 trained soldiers in their OWN camp and come out winning.

i know there are people who like there games like this so a simple solution is to add a realism option to games then everyone is happy.