Why bother?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

govtcheez75

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2002
yeah...I finally fine tuned my OCZ PowerStream 520w, and must say that all the reviews were right about this PSU. It's stable as a rock.

remagavon

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Avalon
Originally posted by: kindest
Originally posted by: remagavon
I've read reports of OCZ supplies blowing up, search the forums.

ive read reports of ppl being killed by squirrels.

lol
:D

I said search:brokenheart:

Text

Some of them have had problems, probably not many, but there was an issue. A few other forums had threads on this as well.

kindest

Platinum Member
Dec 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Avalon
Originally posted by: kindest
I've read reports of OCZ supplies blowing up, search the forums.

ive read reports of ppl being killed by squirrels.

lol
:D

I said search:brokenheart:

Text

Some of them have had problems, probably not many, but there was an issue. A few other forums had threads on this as well.

heh.

ya there was a bad batch that got damaged in shipping that got recalled. i think most all anand offical reviewers use ocz powerstreams.

3point14

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2003
Okay, I might get the Vantec. It seems like the right choice for my system (NF7-S running an unlocked Barton 2500+ w/ 1GB PC2700 HyperX & a Gainward Ti4800 SE), With my current PS I am only able to get 2.02GHz out of the Barton :(, but that might be attributed to my current power rating being (with a 1.675 CPU Voltage)...
+3.3V: 3.20V (not bad)
+5.0V: 5.03V (impressive)
+12.0V: 11.43V :)Q)

It seems that the Vantec might be the best buy for my price range, unless anyone else has some more suggestions?

cmv

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Woody419
Originally posted by: thenotebook
Originally posted by: Woody419
Originally posted by: LifeStealer
Not a fan of ultra but smoke coming from a new electronic isn't a bad thing. All new electronics burn in unless they're done in factory.
Wha??? I'll have whatever you're smoking.

What he said is true. It's called "burn in". Kind of like the "new car smell" for electronics. Duh.
Gonzo2k was right, "It's impossible to educate the opinionated!" But hey, if it works for you, I'm happy for you. I've been working with electronics and building equipment since the early Heathkit and Dynakit days. From my experience, a good, well regulated power supply is always best. I am familar with the new electronics smell, but smoke is always a bad sign. I got a new Antec Sonata, ASUS A8V Deluxe and a AMD 3200+Winchester core to play with this weekend. Wish me luck (and without any smoke).

This whole thread is the result of miswording:

smelled smoke != saw smoke

That is all.

fargus

Jan 2, 2001
OK, here's a question for the techies. The NeoPower says it has a special power connector for PCI Express graphic cards. I'm about to build a system with PCIe - can anyone point me to more info on this connector? What voltage is it; can I use an existing PS with an adapter? I'm building on an Intel D915PBL but haven't selected the graphics card yet, but probably an ATI X700 Pro (which doesn't appear to have any power connectors on it). Thanks.

garkman

Nov 10, 2000
I'm using an x-connect 500w right now...only b/c I got it for like $50 and figured i'd give them a shot. the PSU is working just fine, and looks beautiful but the company is shady as hell IMHO. They have a "free SATA power cable" that you can get for buying one that didnt come w/it....well their fax # has never worked, and i've sent a few emails/called them and gotten either no response or (on the phone) a really rude person. The voltages are off a bit, but not alarming. The fit & finish is a bit disappointing as well...like the plugs that fit into the PSU when u dont wanna plug a cable into them fall out so are useless. over all it's a decent buy for the $ (at $50)...but if you finda better deal w/a better co (enermax, etc) go w/it.

TheLizardMan

Aug 29, 2000
Ultra X-Connect SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

It's just for the 3/4 of you n00bs that like to jazz up your case with cheap components that look gay as hell, I mean "Cool" and crap out soon after.

The neo power has good specs, but id rather go with the pc power and cooling power supplies since they have NEVER had a bad power supply. No matter how good antec is, their track record has not even been 1/2 as good. just lately (1-2years) have they STARTED to get their rear in gear. so far the neo power is antecs first great psu. their true power line is so-so, but more bad than good.

if you can afford it, get a http://pcpowerandcooling.com power supply. Yeah it cost more, but then again a sempron cost more than a AMD64.

Apr 29, 2004
Originally posted by: ariafrost
Not a bad find, but I believe everyone would agree that the Ultra X-Connect PSUs are the best.

Why is it that most of your posts are flamebait/trollish/n00bish/just-plain-stupid-and-ignorant? Not only is your logic faulty, you make a sweeping generalization of a gimmicky product.

Summary:
"THIS IS THE GENE POLICE. GET OUT OF THE POOL"

;)

[OT]

Glad I am not the only one to notice..... This gets real tiresome after awhile.

Here are some of some of the thenotebook's pearls of wisdom. Individuals arecertainly free to draw their own conclusions as to their value to the Anandtech community.

"You need to read more carefully.

You're a liar. You said you bought it in the store for 9.99, then you turn around and make a post that says the deal starts Dec 26th, which is tomorrow. You can't even do a simple lie

You didn't bother reading the thread did you.

This thread really needs to be locked. This is NOT a hot deal. AVG Free Edition is free, so there is nothing hot about it. You can get it for free at any time. OP, find a hot deal then post it, otherwise, don't bother. How about I start several threads about each of the free e-mail accounts you can make...Hotmail, Yahoo, etc?

He spelled "ginny" pig wrong too.

Waiting for a rebate makes this not hot. You didn't even say what the before rebate price is. Way to be informative, RGebhart.

So where's the deal? Mods, go ahead and lock this one up.
OP, it's been about six hours since I told you about the problem with your thread title and you STILL haven't fixed it.

Jeremy, how did you become a senior member here?

Just because a lot of people want this product doesn't mean it's hot when it's in stock. Hot deals should be below $200.

Thanks for your information, but not everybody has a Fry's near them. Why don't you start your own thread instead of trying to steal Jokersmoker's?

Dude, Verizon didn't cause the sink hole. That's not how sink holes are caused. How old are you?

Uh.....yes.....as you can see now, I've been vindicated. People are seeing the price I posted. Perhaps you shouldn't be so quick with your mouth.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say, "uhh... yes...." simply because the deal actually exists. The thumbsdown is your opinion, but someone else in this very thread already said this is a good deal for their needs. Apparently, you didn't bother to read that, instead you just chose to threadcrap.

Let me point out the HUGE error in your statement. Apparently, you didn't bother to comprehend this statement by Athena on 12/22 at 1:43pm, "That depends on what the "point" is for you. I don't have time to watch more than 4 movies a month anyway -- usually fewer. I do like the convenience of having something I want to see on hand whenever I'm ready -- which is never true for PPV."

Here's what I want you to do. Open your mouth...now insert your foot.

Ewww...stay away from Buy.com! I think everyone can agree with that.

That's clearly what the OP did. Even still, he could have made it more clear instead of pulling off a bait-and-switch-like tactic.

For the price, this device is highly unnecessary. Nobody needs a USB drive that can hold 4GB.

Start your own thread and don't hijack this one, threadcrapper.

Those Logitechs sure are ugly speakers. Probably don't sound any good.

Yeah really. Hey everyone, I watched this one DVD movie and it sucked. So let me tell you, all DVD movies suck! Don't watch them!

And how is this a hot deal? This is news, not a hot deal. Mods, go ahead and lock this thread.

Nothing really special about this keyboard. Just get yourself a regular one that costs less.

You couldn't provide a link to Jokersmoker's post? Lazy.

This deal is cold and shouldn't have been posted. The selection blows."
[/OT]

Back on topic......

Certainly looks like a decent price :)

VANTEC ION2 350W Power Supply Serial ATA Ready Model VAN350N
http://geek.pricegrabber.com/s...sterid=3394336/blsrt=1

And the reviews seem quite favorable:
http://www.newegg.com/app/view...lies&CMP=OTC-C173T

Power Supply Roundup - Six PSU's fight to the death
http://www.tweaktown.com/docum...mp;dId=700&dPage=1

-LS

dirtrat

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I DON'T consider this an upgrade for you when even the amps on your 12 Volt rails are lower than your Antec 380. I guess you are easy to please if the sleeves on your cables are what swayed you! I'm sold on the Antec NeoPower 480. I don't think the Ultras are even close to as good a power supply.

Originally posted by: gonzo2k
I'm sure there will be the usual "hot deals cops" undermining this post.
This is not just about price (though it's damn good).

I bought 2 power supplies this week from zipzoomfly.
#1:Antec NeoPower 480W
Best price I found... I buy from newegg, mwave, zipzoom, buy.com. compgeeks, etc. OFTEN (well, not so much from buy.com anymore).
#2:Vantec VAN-350N 350W Power Supply w/SATA Ready Retail

Gotta pass along what a BARGAIN the Vantec (#2) is...here's a list:
$43.00/shipped
120mm Vantec fan (1)
ALL cables are sleeved... every one!
BLACK
QUIET
SATA cables
Specs label upside down when installed (HUH?)...true.

Here's what AIDA32 sees:
+3.3V: 3.46V
+5V: 4.97V
+12V: 12.28V

I'm pulling the True380 from my Sonata & installing this... TONIGHT!

What a find... ordered it Tuesday... got it today (Thursday).
Find it cheaper and post the link... I'll buy two more!
;)

Oh yeah... the Antec Neo is beautiful, too- won't install it until next week.

thenotebook

Banned
Dec 8, 2004
Originally posted by: garkman
I'm using an x-connect 500w right now...only b/c I got it for like $50 and figured i'd give them a shot. the PSU is working just fine, and looks beautiful but the company is shady as hell IMHO. They have a "free SATA power cable" that you can get for buying one that didnt come w/it....well their fax # has never worked, and i've sent a few emails/called them and gotten either no response or (on the phone) a really rude person. The voltages are off a bit, but not alarming. The fit & finish is a bit disappointing as well...like the plugs that fit into the PSU when u dont wanna plug a cable into them fall out so are useless. over all it's a decent buy for the $ (at $50)...but if you finda better deal w/a better co (enermax, etc) go w/it.

So they're shady because you can't get a fax machine to work? I faxed them my invoice to get the SATA power cable and received mine within a week. That doesn't seem shady to me.

And LightningStrikes, I like how you pulled a bunch of quotes from me way out of context. You didn't bother to note that for many of them, people agreed with me. For example, the one where I accused someone of lying about a deal was agreed with by everyone in that thread. You, son, should be ashamed of yourself for trying to manipulate people into agreeing with you. You should get into politics.

jamautosound

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2000

So they're shady because you can't get a fax machine to work? I faxed them my invoice to get the SATA power cable and received mine within a week. That doesn't seem shady to me.

And LightningStrikes, I like how you pulled a bunch of quotes from me way out of context. You didn't bother to note that for many of them, people agreed with me. For example, the one where I accused someone of lying about a deal was agreed with by everyone in that thread. You, son, should be ashamed of yourself for trying to manipulate people into agreeing with you. You should get into politics.

You, son, are just a prick who spouts negativity in most every topic you enter.

Please list some "quotes" where you have been helpful, nice or cooperative?

1. :shocked:
2. :confused:
3. :laugh:

gonzo2k

Platinum Member
Jun 12, 2001
webpitstop.com
First things first...previouspost from jamauto...right on!
I had "the notsmart" on my DNT list after his 18th post.
I'm editing this because people are STILL stepping on my "hot deal".
POST your own thread for a different item... take the BS that follows.
This is not a general discussion as to which psu you prefer... this is an effin' hot deal for the Vantec & Neo480 from ZZF. Get a clue!
Have a HHN (Happy New Year) or GFY... pm me and I'll be happy to tell you what GFY represents... hopefully, next year you'll be smarter... certainly 1 year (calendar year) older.

quote from: dirtrat
I DON'T consider this an upgrade for you when even the amps on your 12 Volt rails are lower than your Antec 380. I guess you are easy to please if the sleeves on your cables are what swayed you! I'm sold on the Antec NeoPower 480. I don't think the Ultras are even close to as good a power supply.
My Sonata media server is now much more quiet with the internal 120mm Vantec fan on the 350w Vantec ION2 psu. No prob powering 4 HDDs (2-SATA/ 2 IDE) and 2 optical drives. MB is an Abit AN7...2500+ Barton CPU...9600XT video card. I consider the sleeved wires a bonus.

The Neo Power is for a PCI-e P4 mb/ P4 3.4 that's being delivered Monday.

I have 7 systems in my house right now (8 Monday). I move components to where they perform best before I sell to friends and referrals based on individual needs.

I never even MENTIONED the Ultras...that was just a hijack post that everyone jumped on.
Did you read the quote that you posted (from me) or are you responding to unrelated posts?

The $43.00 Vantec is a BARGAIN... trust me or don't... your gain or loss.

As to the question re: the 6 pin PCI-e connector packaged with the NEO... some PCI-e cards need them... many don't.
It's there if you need it.
Many of the PCI-e motherboards have a standard 4 pin molex connector near the PCI-e slot for dedicated power to the video card.

HAPPY NEW YEAR AT !
:wine:

amdmaxx

Jan 6, 2001
MAx PC rated it 4/10.. Antec 480 is Winner in their shootout..

Not a bad find, but I believe everyone would agree that the Ultra X-Connect PSUs are the best.

Idleuser

Sep 22, 2004
I bought 2 ultra X-connect 500watt uv for 70 each and it was cheap so I said why not. My only complaint is that the wires were too long for my mid tower and they seem to be perfect for full server towers. The +12v seemed a bit weak @ 34amp but I am powering 2 scsi u160 drives, 2x200gb seagate drives, athlon xp 3000, water cooling pump, CFFL lights and a 6800 OC to boot. The psu does not smoke only ones that does are the faulty ones from factory. The PSU does have that "new car smell" but it's not like you can smell it until you put your nose up to the exhaust of the PSU.

LilGator

Jan 10, 2004
MaximumPCs review was bull. ActivePFC is not needed in the US, especially for us with a UPS. And rails not being dead on spec for the OCZ is due to adjustable rails :) Yeah MPC, that's a good thing.

1. OCZ
2. PC Power and Cooling
3. Fortron

As far as value is concerned, the Fortron is king. I got the 530w Fortron from NewEgg for $70. Rock-solid, and whips the expensive overrated Antec PSUs. Adjustable rails as well ;)

dirtrat

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Not a Loss for me, I have a Antec Neo and I'm happy with it! You are of course entitled to your opinion but I wouldn't consider this a HOT DEAL!

Originally posted by: gonzo2k

The $43.00 Vantec is a BARGAIN... trust me or don't... your gain or loss.

remagavon

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2003
Originally posted by: LilGator
MaximumPCs review was bull. ActivePFC is not needed in the US, especially for us with a UPS. And rails not being dead on spec for the OCZ is due to adjustable rails :) Yeah MPC, that's a good thing.

1. OCZ
2. PC Power and Cooling
3. Fortron

As far as value is concerned, the Fortron is king. I got the 530w Fortron from NewEgg for $70. Rock-solid, and whips the expensive overrated Antec PSUs. Adjustable rails as well ;)

I modded an antec PSU with pots and the voltages are rock solid, there just aren't enough amps to do what I need to do so I no longer use it (have a zippy now).

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004

<OT>

Username: thenotebook
User Rating: 1.07
No of votes: 44

I think your user rating is justified thenotebook, chill out man. There's a better way to tell people to lighten up then repeatedly calling people threadcrappers, liars, scumbags, etc...

</OT>

As far as PSUs go, I'd think the Antecs, Enermaxes, Zalmans, and OCZs... and any other well-manufactured quality PSUs. Antecs for reliability, Enermaxes for quietness/power, Zalmans for quietness and good clean power, OCZ Powerstream for the adjustable rails... get the picture? A little bit of something for everybody. Once again OP, good job with this thread, don't let the thread hijackers ruin it for you.

:thumbsup:

desteffy

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2004

I assume you are kidding.