Why ATI Wins... [IMO]

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: child of wonder
And in 12 months people will be speculating AMD closing their doors and how Nvidia is completely dominating them. Then, 12 months later, the opposite will be true. Repeat ad nauseum.

And I don't get the point. For instance the Intel/AMD back and forth. Does anyone want to really see AMD go belly up? Even the most dedicated Intel Fanboi would hate the day because the $200 quad core cpu would be long gone.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: winnar111
I get the feeling people are really hoping for an Nvidia failure and trying to bring up nostalgic images of the 9800 vs 5800\5900 days. The NV3.x was a disaster and nothing like this. The current situation is AMD has a competitive card at a lower price point. Nvidia still holds the single card performance crown until the 4870x2 shows up. Nvidia added a lot of stuff to the GT200 series that may not help them in the short term on the gaming side.

Any issues they are having now can and will be addressed very soon with the die shrinks. In the mean time I am sure Nvidia will continue to make money while AMD bleeds like a stuffed pig. By now the investment in ATI has to be nearing a 0 dollar valuation mark in terms of market cap. That is really bad and I wouldnt be surprised if AMD is in bankruptcy protection by the end of the year.

To be honest I cannot see how Nvidia is making a lot of money when some people are getting GTX260's for $200-225 or so.

I'd be willing to bet Nvidia makes a profit on those parts. The "cost" to Nvidia is probably very low. Maybe 30-40 bucks a chip, tops. Lower end models cost even less. We will find the true extent of any issues with their 3rd quarter financials.

I don't know... my guess is Nvidia is selling them at a loss. Remember, the GPU used in the GTX260/280 is huge. Also, rumors are that the yields are not very good. But, Nvidia would rather sell it at a loss/maybe break even then manufacture the chips and not sell them at all.

Think about it, sell 100% of your chips for a $100 loss, but sell all of them, keep market share and happy customers vs. build the parts, sell only 10% of them at a profit, have lots of inventory that they paid for that they cannot move. That's my guess anyway.

But for me, the reason I plan on using AMD/ATI cards for future builds is that Nvidia kind of rubbed me the wrong way. How come they only release these miracle drivers that enhance performance when they have competition? I feel like they were holding back performance on purpose to have an ace up their sleeve when the 48x0 were released. Same with Physx. Also, how come AMD/ATI, who was lossing money faster then Nvidia was making it can release an official driver release monthly that supports all their cards? Meanwhile, when Nvidia was raking in the money they seemed to just sit on drivers and let people try and find hacks to make them work. Just seems to me that Nvidia doesn't always try to please their customers, they figured they had the performance lead so they could do what ever they wanted.

TaylorTech

Jul 24, 2008
Originally posted by: SlowSpyder
I get the feeling people are really hoping for an Nvidia failure and trying to bring up nostalgic images of the 9800 vs 5800\5900 days. The NV3.x was a disaster and nothing like this. The current situation is AMD has a competitive card at a lower price point. Nvidia still holds the single card performance crown until the 4870x2 shows up. Nvidia added a lot of stuff to the GT200 series that may not help them in the short term on the gaming side.

Any issues they are having now can and will be addressed very soon with the die shrinks. In the mean time I am sure Nvidia will continue to make money while AMD bleeds like a stuffed pig. By now the investment in ATI has to be nearing a 0 dollar valuation mark in terms of market cap. That is really bad and I wouldnt be surprised if AMD is in bankruptcy protection by the end of the year.

To be honest I cannot see how Nvidia is making a lot of money when some people are getting GTX260's for $200-225 or so.

I'd be willing to bet Nvidia makes a profit on those parts. The "cost" to Nvidia is probably very low. Maybe 30-40 bucks a chip, tops. Lower end models cost even less. We will find the true extent of any issues with their 3rd quarter financials.

I don't know... my guess is Nvidia is selling them at a loss. Remember, the GPU used in the GTX260/280 is huge. Also, rumors are that the yields are not very good. But, Nvidia would rather sell it at a loss/maybe break even then manufacture the chips and not sell them at all.

Think about it, sell 100% of your chips for a $100 loss, but sell all of them, keep market share and happy customers vs. build the parts, sell only 10% of them at a profit, have lots of inventory that they paid for that they cannot move. That's my guess anyway.

But for me, the reason I plan on using AMD/ATI cards for future builds is that Nvidia kind of rubbed me the wrong way. How come they only release these miracle drivers that enhance performance when they have competition? I feel like they were holding back performance on purpose to have an ace up their sleeve when the 48x0 were released. Same with Physx. Also, how come AMD/ATI, who was lossing money faster then Nvidia was making it can release an official driver release monthly that supports all their cards? Meanwhile, when Nvidia was raking in the money they seemed to just sit on drivers and let people try and find hacks to make them work. Just seems to me that Nvidia doesn't always try to please their customers, they figured they had the performance lead so they could do what ever they wanted.

In a sense that's unfortunately how it works.

And keys, I agree.

Think about there only being one processor manufacturer. They could raise the price of Q6600 from $195 to whatever they wanted. Not many people would be happy.

Nvidia has always kind of had a bad rep when it comes to drivers. ATI's CCC isn't the best either but their driver fixes were always a large improvement.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Well I am a ATI user. But Nv has done real good by most you guys in past and thats what U should look at. Is it possiable that NV just got a little stupid when they seen the possiabilities that cuda brings. I mean really if the programms existed this thing would kick ass. This is the reason that NV can't do DX10.1 . NV has to adapt true DX10 or pass on like vodoo.

The problem is the programms don't exist and intel has effectively cut NV off befor NV could reach the pass into cuda valley. Its an X86 world and its doing to remain that way for sometime . Something I am not happy about . EPIC is the way to go . But its seems our higher education are handing out diplomas to people they should not . Its not earn a diploma . Its BUY a diploma. I know I bought 2 . One for daughter and one for wife . Higher education myass.

In the next 3 years there is going to be blood in the streets companies will paass away. But which companies . New tech comes along that changes everthing. Like that new chip that suppose to scale multi gpu's . If it does whats said it can do . Seems to me this changes everthing . Be cause all of the sudden .More than just 2 or 3 players can play . With scaling things can change really fast, So who really knows.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

The market in the 300+ range of cards is so small there is no need to sell at a loss to retain market share. 300+ is your bread and butter, where you get insane margins to offset the million 80 dollar low end models you sold over the same time period.

Like I said we will see when the 3rd qut numbers come out sometime in Oct.

ZimZum

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2001

The market in the 300+ range of cards is so small there is no need to sell at a loss to retain market share. 300+ is your bread and butter, where you get insane margins to offset the million 80 dollar low end models you sold over the same time period.

Like I said we will see when the 3rd qut numbers come out sometime in Oct.

Actually its quite the opposite. The mid to low range parts are where the vast majority of revenue is made. The high end parts as you said are a very small market and while they have higher profit margins its certainly not enough to outperform the revenue that the low- midrange cards bring in.
Thats one of the reasons ATI decided to shift its strategy. Instead of continuing the sea-saw battle of who has the biggest and best flagship card. They decide, hey lets just crush them in the mid-low range market because thats where the money is anyway.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Aberforth
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Not exactly dadach. Nvidia most likely priced their cards what they thought the market would support. Look at the prices the 8800GTX and the 8800GTS640 started out with. 649/449. How long did the 2900XT remain over 400? Because it was competitive with the 8800GTS which was also over 400 for a long time. ATI changed the rules of marketing severely undercutting what they could have gotten for their 4xxx cards due to the good performance they were getting. They wanted their consumers back and that is reflected in the prices ATI started out with. Because of their good performance and ridiculously low prices, Nvidia of course had to respond. Which they did.

Yes, In other words they were lying about manufacturing costs being $150- $200. Nv is the biggest drama king in this industry...when asked about price being so high- they say some garbage about manufacturing costs and suddenly drop prices by 200 bucks when amd releases a competitive product? When you ask them about DX 10.1 - they say it's not really useful, that's such an immature statement to make. I need DX10.1! every developer needs one, who are they to decide whats best for us?........and there was a talk of Gddr 5 last year and they were ranting about memory prices being too high.

There is no true DX10 game out there except Call of Juarez, rest of them are commercially promoted by NV using selective DX10 features from the API library that only their cards can do the best..

From all of this we can conclude that nv doesn't look at the best interests of it's customers. They like ripping off people's wallets and over hyping the mediocre features of their product line.

woot! well said.

money hungry bastards remind me of ea or intel. but hey, i love intel.

Janooo

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2005

The chips started as $100+. I doubt they are down to 30-40 already.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Janooo

But pricing isn't done in a vacuum. If vendors tell NV they can't sell cards at $650, NV has to lower the asking price and go to their supplier and renegotiate pricing as well. Everyone eats a little bit less or no one eats at all. That's what happens in a dynamic economy. You'll see it in just about every industry right now as the global economy is down.

Ares202

Jun 3, 2007

Plus the board will probably be another $100 slapped on top of that, being 10.5" long 512bit with 1gb of ram will be costly

then theres the packaging, accessories, tax and shipping, sure Nv wont be making a loss probably break even to a small profit on the actual sale of the card but it wont nearly pay for the maintainence costs of a company of nvidias size

Janooo

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2005
Originally posted by: chizow

But pricing isn't done in a vacuum. If vendors tell NV they can't sell cards at $650, NV has to lower the asking price and go to their supplier and renegotiate pricing as well. Everyone eats a little bit less or no one eats at all. That's what happens in a dynamic economy. You'll see it in just about every industry right now as the global economy is down.

The cost for NV does not change. It was $100+ in the beginning. When yields improve then it will go down.
Now when I think about that the cost can not be less then wafer/number of chips. It's 5K/100 chips, about $50 per chip at 100% yield. I doubt they will achieve 100% yield.
NV needs the shrink to lower the cost as soon as possible.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: AmberClad
We weren't really discussing price, we were discussing market share. And why there are seemingly fewer 9850BE owners here than Yorkfield owners, when the number of NewEgg reviews would indicate otherwise. Anyways, this is all starting to go off on a tangent -- that example was originally designed to illlustrate why it's not good to use NewEgg reviews to get a sense of market share.

it is IMPOSSIBLE to discuss market share without taking price into account.
Price is the number 1 factor when a person makes a purchase.
People even go without getting certain medical treatments because they are too expensive (which they COULD scrounge up enough money to pay for it with extreme cost cutting elsewhere, or liquidating assets).

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: taltamir
We weren't really discussing price, we were discussing market share. And why there are seemingly fewer 9850BE owners here than Yorkfield owners, when the number of NewEgg reviews would indicate otherwise. Anyways, this is all starting to go off on a tangent -- that example was originally designed to illlustrate why it's not good to use NewEgg reviews to get a sense of market share.

People even go without getting certain medical treatments because they are too expensive (which they COULD scrounge up enough money to pay for it with extreme cost cutting elsewhere, or liquidating assets).

I would have to disagree. The number 1 would be value, which is different than price.

If price were the #1 factor, we'd all have 8600GTs or 3850s.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: taltamir

What the hell does any of that have to do why NewEgg's review #s are skewed and not an accurate measurement of market share? Way to completely miss the point of my post. I wasn't even making any comment about 4850s, and how or why they're popular. If I were, then price would become relevant.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
I am saying that if you look at like priced items instead of completely different priced and arbitrarily decided upon items, then the amount of reviews does match the market share.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
I think branding "price" as the number 1 factor for a purchase decision is misleading. I think its a combination of various factors for instance the products performance.

And im kind of confused by the thread heading. I think declaring a "win" is abit premature unless it meant they won this round. So shouldn't the thread be titled "why AMD won this round?". Plus ATi technically "lost" ever since 2006 since they got outplayed when it came to business and hence ended up being acquired.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
true... ATI lost in 06, now its AMD vs nVidia vs Intel (soon). ATI is dead and gone.

Performance is a very important factor indeed, it goes right there at second place, after price. Often performance goes hand in hand with price. And you could always bring in compound values, like performance / price.
But when an item that performs twice as well sells for the same price, it is winning in price, not just in performance.
If an item that performs twice as well costs twice as much, then it has performance alone without price.
If an item that performs twice as well costs 5 times as much, it looses in price and performance / price, but it wins in performance. It will appeal to some, but not to the majority of people.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Originally posted by: shangshang
Here's my thoughts:

1. you seem to like to see NV fail. But you forget that before NV, there were Voodoo, then ATI. These two dominated the graphics landscape before NV came along. So I'm not sure why you don't have any appreciation for NV. Because without NV, Voodoo and ATI will still be gouging like they do 6-10 years ago.

2. you said NV stock is falling. True. But have you taken a look at the stock of AMD?? Has AMD been rising or falling?? And is AMD is at 16-year low?!! NV is sitting on $1.62 billion cash, $0 debt. AMD sits on $1.57 cash with a $5.62 billion debt. BTW, I find it "amusing" that you used Yahoo Finance to show the falling prices of NVDA, yet you didn't use Yahoo Finance to look up the companies' balancesheets. You are cherry picking your data. But since you're cherry picking, I've cherry picked something myself

http://finance.yahoo.com/echar...le=on;source=undefined

look at that AMD chart and tell me how is that a rising company?

+1...

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Originally posted by: dadach

someone said something about price gauging...im sorry, but what nvidia tried to do was pathetic...it actually tried to screw their most loyal customers, with starting prices of new gtx series...after they saw that ati has much better value, they rediculously dropped the price...ofc i could be wrong, and nvidia is losing money on every sale ;)

Isnt that what people do when they sell their home?, ask for the most 1st...duh...not pathetic, just trying to realise as much profit as possible,

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
I don't see any losers for GPUs b/c both companies have decent GPUs out right now, and Nvidia will make a profit again once the die shrnks come along. Nvidia's real problem is the notebook chipset issue.

dadach

Nov 27, 2005
Originally posted by: SolMiester

Isnt that what people do when they sell their home?, ask for the most 1st...duh...not pathetic, just trying to realise as much profit as possible,

so you do agree nvidia tried to screw their customers :) how much did the price actually drop percentagewise...does it relate in figures to selling of the houses?

as for other points discussed, one thing i think you forget is that when the price drops, it drops only in US market...all the other markets stay unaffected for the long time...here in croatia 4870 is almost 100 USD cheaper than GTX260, and im reading that you can buy both for the same price in the US...ok, croatia is a little extreme, so id be intersted to see how fast did the price dopped in other EU countries...

and btw GTX280 is 720 USD overhere :S

ginfest

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2000
Originally posted by: dadach
Originally posted by: SolMiester

so you do agree nvidia tried to screw their customers :) how much did the price actually drop percentagewise...does it relate in figures to selling of the houses?

as for other points discussed, one thing i think you forget is that when the price drops, it drops only in US market...all the other markets stay unaffected for the long time...here in croatia 4870 is almost 100 USD cheaper than GTX260, and im reading that you can buy both for the same price in the US...ok, croatia is a little extreme, so id be intersted to see how fast did the price dopped in other EU countries...

and btw GTX280 is 720 USD overhere :S

Sol is on the right track here IMHO :) And it's not a case of any one company/person/entity "screwing" their customers :)
Any commodity, whether a home, vehicle, video card, foodstuff, anything that one person has and another wants, is worth what?
It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it! Basic, basic stuff;)
You can say that your house is worth $500,000, but if you want/need to sell it and the most you are offered is $400,000, then it's not "worth" $500,000
and if you are offered $600,000, you are not "screwing" the buyer, that's what it is worth to him/her.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
The cost for NV does not change. It was $100+ in the beginning. When yields improve then it will go down.
Now when I think about that the cost can not be less then wafer/number of chips. It's 5K/100 chips, about $50 per chip at 100% yield. I doubt they will achieve 100% yield.
NV needs the shrink to lower the cost as soon as possible.
That's absurd to think NV's costs are static, you think those SUVs selling for 40% less than a year ago aren't being sold for a profit still? There's just much, much less profit going around and even at break even or a slight loss, its better than not selling anything.

Similarly with chip pricing, if NV approaches TSMC with 2 scenarios, $100 a chip based on $649 pricing or $60 a chip based on $449 pricing but selling 5x as many units, which do you think they're going to choose? The difference in cost to them is some glass.

People have been saying these monolithic chips from NV can't possibly be selling for a profit due to low yields and # per wafer, but that clearly has not been the case with G80 and with GT200 we're seeing just how low NV can go on pricing while still managing to break-even.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
AMD does not "win" and Nvidia "lose"

- this is ongoing. imo Nvidia's problem is *perception*

You guys [simply] perceive they are losing

they are not .. they are reevaluating their situation and basically following their original plan with Tesla ... they are a solid company with a few slips
- one of these "slips" was to alienate their former fans - "us"

i don't see AMD going away either. We have tough competitors that have already survived extreme times - and ultimately that is very good for us

the extreme views in this thread are silly imo; and the tech yellow press is playing it up for page hits
- i call it a tempest in a teapot
:p

People have been saying these monolithic chips from NV can't possibly be selling for a profit due to low yields and # per wafer, but that clearly has not been the case with G80 and with GT200 we're seeing just how low NV can go on pricing while still managing to break-even.
These people are right. Nvidia is not making money on Tesla; however, they can easily afford to take a loss on their new chips as they have a HUGE margin with g80/g92.

The costs are still $110-$125 per GPU. And Nvidia needs the shrink to 55nm to make profitable Tesla GPUS again; they are patient and can afford to hold on. That is why their partners are sticking with them.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: apoppin
These people are right. Nvidia is not making money on Tesla; however, they can easily afford to take a loss on their new chips as they have a HUGE margin with g80/g92.

The costs are still $110-$125 per GPU. And Nvidia needs the shrink to 55nm to make profitable Tesla GPUS again; they are patient and can afford to hold on. That is why their partners are sticking with them.

They're not selling GT200 Tesla yet, but they would certainly be making a profit on them if they sold for MSRP of $8k for a 1U rack of 4xGT200. This isn't much different from Quadro though, where there is clearly a huge premium and high margin on very low volume.

But people keep basing wafer price on some obscure pricing sheet on the internet and claiming there's no way NV can be getting high enough yields or enough chips per wafer to make a profit. I don't know exactly how much they're paying per chip, but I can guarantee you NV has substantial leverage with pricing as the global leader in discrete GPU sales.

Even in G80's prime the same $100-$150 price per chip and shortages were being thrown about, yet a few months later, NV somehow released a sub-$300 G80 part with the GTS 320MB aimed squarely at the mid-range mainstream enthusiast. Despite similar doom and gloom over G80's costs, NV only managed to post record profits in the YTD from G80's release, prior to G92's launch. Clearly people overestimated chip pricing and yields then, just as they do now. The only difference is now with GT200 is we are truly seeing the lower bounds of NV's pricing/profit model.

WB btw :)