Why aren't there any threads about how great a president John McCain would be?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: jpeyton

And in 2000, Bush was still a disaster in the making. Few knew how badly he would f**k up over the next eight years.

And therein lies the problem. I guess I was one of "the few," and it was clear before he was elected what a slimy POS Bush was. It became crystal clear when he hijacked our forces away from the war he should already have won, but has failed to win, in Afghanistan so he could murder 4,078 American troops (as of today) in his war of lies in Iraq.

Events since then have only confirmed our worst fears and added more when it became obivous Bush is also a traitor fully willing to shred the rights guaranteed to every American citizen under the U.S. Constitution to further his criminal enterprises.

Back to the OP's topic -- If you liked the treason, murder, torture, war crimes, war profiteering and general corruption of the last seven years, McSame is your guy.

I was one of the "FEW" from the get go!

when I first started here... Calling bush names was grounds for locking and if you did it twice you were on vacation... As I would know....

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I don't know anyone who thinks McSame will be a great president. If anything, they're just hoping to keep it away from the Democrats for 4 more years. I sincerely hope McCain picks a GREAT vice-president though, so we don't get stuck with a Dan Quayle if he kicks off during his term...IMO, the Democrats better hook Obama up with a GREAT VP as well...just in case...

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
Bush didn't ruin the Republican party- they ruined themselves. The bush presidency is merely the culmination of 30+ years of rightwing doublespeak and agitation against legitimate and responsible govt. It's been the greatest looting spree in the history of the world, class warfare initiated by the very wealthy few against the rest of us, and against the whole world, really.

A McCain presidency would merely perpetuate that, something that will only become clearer between now and november. He sold out in 2004, campaigning for bush, in preparation for his campaign of today. If he makes it to the Whitehouse, it'll only be because he's been bought and paid for by the people who stood Bush up in the same role... the same way.
Explain to me how the budget got balanced in the 1990s AFTER Republicans took over control of congress.

Democrats controlled congress for 40 years and couldn't balanced the budget, it took Republicans only 4 to balance the budget... hmmmmm

How lame. the only reasons that the budget was balanced, or near it, in the 90's was that Clinton and Dems had raised taxes and Clinton refused to cut them, along with an upward trending economy. He also vetoed budgets lacking the balance he sought, going so far as to shut down the govt at one point...

Repubs *could* have done what they promised when they were in control of both the executive and legislative branches. It was within their power, yet they chose instead to engage in an orgy of greed, creating record deficits and bigger govt... There's no spin that can negate that.

Deeds, not words, will come to the fore in this election cycle, and the deeds of repubs in general and McCain in particular speak for themselves.

Both McCain and Hillary would sell their souls to be president, but only McCain found willing buyers in the big money interests of the rightwing...

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Non Prof John asks and basically answers his own question of----Explain to me how the budget got balanced in the 1990s AFTER Republicans took over control of congress.

Democrats controlled congress for 40 years and couldn't balanced the budget, it took Republicans only 4 to balance the budget... hmmmmm

The answer is obvious, Clinton moved more to the center and away from leftist democratic views. And both Obama and Clinton are cut in the same mold. And regardless how we cut it, in todays US government, the President does much to set the agenda. While I don't think Clinton was a great President, both he and GHB simply failed to do stupid things. And both Bill Clinton and GHB were somewhat able to work with hostile congresses, and as a result the country was able to prosper. Simply because it did not do stupid things. And in those 12 years the deficits run up by Reagan were basically neutralized and things were looking up.

It only took one year of GWB and a republican congress to again start the country on a course of incredible stupidity. And even with a present democratic congress, its still very difficult to buck the power of the Presidency.

Its absurd to credit the republicans for the balanced budgets of the late 1990's and then fail to note that when they got absolute control, they fucked up big time at the speed of light. Only a fool or non Prof John would think that argument could withstand even casual scrutiny.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Well because he's so closely associated with Bush and we all know what kind of President Bush is.

But yet you were a McCain supporter in 2000 - right? His positions/ideals haven't changed...

Actually they have. McCain has long been the bain of conservatives. They hated him and were even balking at him being the front runner. There was much discussion that he would never win because the conservatives hate him... Then McCain suddenly started embracing Bush's policies and calling himself conservative. He has tried to re-invent himself as a conservative to get the large portion of reps to fall in line behind him, but it is NOT the maverick John McCain of his entire career. He is pandering to conservatives now.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Corbett
John McCain is the lesser of 3 evils. Thats why.

That depends entirely on your personal definition of Evil.

To me, continuing to pour billions of dollars and soldiers lives into a police action (yes, lets stop calling it a war, the war lasted 2 months).

Its not like Iraq was ever stable, not even hundreds of years... Its been 5000 years and that place is still in turmoil. Violent take over after takeover again and again since the beginning of history. And republicans think that WE can just walk in and solve it with a war machine?

HEre is a news flash, we are NOT capable of resolving thier issues, not in a year, not in a decade, not in a century. Not ever. They need to continue to duke it out as they have for 5000 years.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: mshan
McCain Supporters seem prolific in their attacks on Obama, but I never see any threads or even comments in these forums about how great a president John McCain would be.

I wonder why that is?

(could it be that deep in their hearts they know John McCain is just as lame to Republicans as Kerry / Edwards probably was to Democrats ins 2004?)

:)

This forum's main theme is to post attack threads. AFAIK, the only group that has posted 'our guy is great" threads have been the Ron Paulites. And they have been lambasted for being mindless sheep.

PandaBear

Golden Member
Aug 23, 2000
McCain Supporters seem prolific in their attacks on Obama, but I never see any threads or even comments in these forums about how great a president John McCain would be.

Keating Five.... that's enough for me to rule him out.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: PandaBear

Keating Five.... that's enough for me to rule him out.

100 years of war did it for me. his ties to Lobbyists and Bush Policies only make him less attractive though.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I think the American people think the McCain vision of the future as a desirable outcome. But after listening to and being lied to by GWB&co, they now see that McCain has no real plan to reach any goals. And after having a belly full of empty promises, McCain has no deeds to match his empty words to.

Even though the dems really have no real deeds to match their empty words with either, they still win the change the course battle while the republicans are now seen as the party of GWB gridlock.

McCain is certainly doomed come November if one of three things happen. (1) The economy takes many further hits. (2) There is a clear flare up in violence in the mid-east or Afghanistan. (3) Insert your favorite scenario of republican and GWB making. But GWB has been mired in the longest and basically lowest long term disapproval rating in American history, and that can only mean dire things for the GOP come the general election.

As I have said before, in such a scenario, I can see only one thing that can save McCain. And to do that, McCain and the GOP must kick firmly GWB&co out of the picture and let McCain lead the GOP. Then McCain could sponsor bills in the Senate, get them passed into law with democratic co operation, and thus prove to the American people he can get things done. He has only thee months left to get that done, once the labor day general election traditional start arrives, everyone in Washington will be too busy trying to get re elected, and nothing can get done.

Still leaving McCain with empty promises and no deeds to match them if McCain does not do what must be done NOW.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Rio Rebel
Republicans haven't been truly happy with their candidate since Reagan. The truth is, they are much better at tearing down the opponent than justifying their candidate. I'd love to see one Republican actually leave office with LESS deficit than when they came in...just one small request from the party of fiscal responsibility...

Some of us tried and were mocked for advocating fiscal responsibility and smaller federal government. Apparently you aren't a Republican these days unless you vow to eat Muslim children for breakfast every day.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
McCain + Democrat Congress to check him will make for a great presidency. Of course it's not as glamorous as "Hope and Change", but those are ephemeral notions like "Restoring Dignity to the White House."

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
How lame. the only reasons that the budget was balanced, or near it, in the 90's was that Clinton and Dems had raised taxes and Clinton refused to cut them, along with an upward trending economy. He also vetoed budgets lacking the balance he sought, going so far as to shut down the govt at one point...
Let me correct your false thinking that it was the Democrats and Clinton that balanced the budget...

Go here and scroll down to page 14 and look at Clinton's estimated deficits. This is his 1996 budget that he presented to congress in Feb of 1995.
1995 192 billion
1996 196 billion
1997 213 billion
1998 196 billion
1999 197 billion
2000 194 billion

This budget was put forth AFTER the Democrat tax increases. They increased taxes and yet Clinton had no plan to use the extra tax income to balance the budget, so much for your theory.

Next look at his 1997 budget on page 20 and look at the difference a year made.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
As I have stated previously, that American Experience PBS series on George H. W. Bush said there was some government study that determined that 60% of the budget surplus under Clinton was due to the deal H. W. Bush cut with Democrats around June 1990 (combination of raising taxes and cutting spending):

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/bush41/legacy/ (Click on Start, then No New Taxes. Government study finding that 60% of budget surplus was due to H. W. Bush / Democrat deal was in second hour of show, I believe.)

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Let me correct your false thinking that it was the Democrats and Clinton that balanced the budget...

Go here and scroll down to page 14 and look at Clinton's estimated deficits. This is his 1996 budget that he presented to congress in Feb of 1995.
1995 192 billion
1996 196 billion
1997 213 billion
1998 196 billion
1999 197 billion
2000 194 billion

This budget was put forth AFTER the Democrat tax increases. They increased taxes and yet Clinton had no plan to use the extra tax income to balance the budget, so much for your theory.

Next look at his 1997 budget on page 20 and look at the difference a year made.

Is that operating deficit or does that include interest payments on Reagan Bush debts?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
To be a great President, McCain has to first get elected by winning the general election. And will not get that chance with empty words and empty deeds. He votes 95% of the time with GWB. He takes only one environmental stand and then claims to be green. His life time conservation voting record is like 26%, both Obama and Hillary come in at 86% according to Newsweek. He may bet it on torture but then lets GWB&co. gut
his bill into nothing in committee. He does not even know the difference between Sunnis and Shia, has already said he will not talk to anyone but allies, and now we somehow think such pandering PR adds up to something even remotely resembling Presidential timber. He may be the cream of the crop, in terms of GOP candidates who ran in 08, but we are now talking about a totally morally bankrupt Republican party who have delivered the worse results in American history. And now only seek to perpetuate those horrible results until the 1/20/09 clock ticks to zero.

Once the Presidential debates come, McCain will be toast.