Why aren't my potatoes and carrots cooking through in crockpot?

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I'm making a stew and I threw in the potatoes and carrots along with the stew meat yesterday. I put the crockpot on low and now it's been cooking for 18 hours. I just went to check on it and the baby carrots and potatoes are still plenty firm.

Do veggies only cook right on the high setting on crockpots?

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
Yup, the water is condensing. The water is not completely covering over the contents of the stew, but it's close.

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
It shouldn't take that long to cook a stew in a crockpot. Maybe something's wrong with the crockpot itself or the outlet it's plugged in to?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i don't know then, low should be near enough to boiling to cook veggies

just turn it to high and get it the way you like and EAT it

BobDaMenkey

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2005
My dad has always complained about how finnicy carrots are to cook in a crock pot. And once they finally do cook, they stay hot as heck.

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
Our's cook completely (fall apart at touch) in 6 hours on medium. Sounds like your crock is crock.

dawnbug

Golden Member
Oct 29, 2002
Wow, usually it only takes 8-10 hours for a crockpot on low to cook something. I guess turn it on high for awhile or add some more liquid. Make sure you're not taking the cover off a lot to peek, too. That increases the cooking time.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
wow are you sure its on? if not the crockpot might be the problem.

I have never seen one take that long. even on low it only takes maybe 8 hours. though we buy baby carrots (already skinned and choped).

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Try it on a higher temp (medium or high). The first time I cooked on low mine never came out right. The second time I used high and they were fine after 6 hours.

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
To everyone asking if the pot is even on, yes, it is on... there's heat and everything, but no cooking. I just put it on high and hopefully it can redeem itself after essentially warming the food for 18 hours...

MX2

Lifer
Apr 11, 2004
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny
To everyone asking if the pot is even on, yes, it is on... there's heat and everything, but no cooking. I just put it on high and hopefully it can redeem itself after essentially warming the food for 18 hours...

Uhh....I would be suspicious about any type of meat that may be in that stew only warming for 18 hours. Was it even simmering?

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Either your crockpot isn't getting hot, or there's not enough liquid in there. They should have cooked within the first 4 hours, and they need to be covered with liquid to cook as crockpots only get up to around 140-160 degrees F.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: MX2times
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny

Uhh....I would be suspicious about any type of meat that may be in that stew only warming for 18 hours. Was it even simmering?

The micros will do wonders on his stomach and colon.