Why aren't movies distributed via USB instead of Blu-Ray/DVD

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Recently I asked in another forum whether an optical drive is necessary in a new PC build, and most of the answers were "no." This lead me to think about the manner in which movies are distributed.

Currently, movies are sold either in a pure digital form (e.g., a download) or on physical media (DVD/BD) sold by retail outlets.

Question - is there some reason why movies are not distributed on USB drives instead of BD/DVD format?

Overwriting concerns are not an issue, as is possible to write lock a USB drive.

Many DVD/BD players and TV's are now USB capable devices and many/most more people are watching media on their computers (other USB enabled devices)

Manufacturing cost seems to be about the same for BD-25 as a 32GB USB (~$2-$3/unit).

Major advantage USB stick would be that packaging costs are likely significantly lower for a USB stick than a DVD/BS, and the packages are much smaller thus requiring less retailer shelf space. They also open up possibilities for kisk based sales. A relatively small kiosk could store thousands of fully packaged USB sticks - certainly many more than fully packaged DVDs/BDs.

Pragmatically - shipping costs for USB sticks should be less than for BD/DVD - possible netflix tie in.

Anyway - just a thought. Maybe I just gave away a decent business model to someone. Oh well.

Also - Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Last edited:

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Because Blu Rays and DVDs have copy protection built into them that can be used on standardized players. There is no standard for players that can play DRM-protected files off of a USB drive.

Plus I think you underestimate how many Blu Rays are double layered. I can tell you from ripping them that if it is a modern film that isn't animated it will probably be a dual layer Blu Ray. Those blanks are cheaper than 64GB pen drives, and the 100GB 4K Blu Rays they will come out with would be cheaper than 128GB drives. So physical media will be around for a while.

I mean, given enough time storage costs should decrease to a point where optical disks aren't the most cost-effective solution but by then streaming services will take over. Every type of physical media is at risk long-term because it can't be controlled and is only bought once. They would much prefer to rent you want you want to watch when you want to watch it (every time you want to watch it) through Amazon or iTunes.

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Stamping a blu-ray is both faster and cheaper than assembling and loading a flash stick.

It's all about $$$$

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I would think blank BD-R 50GB discs bought in bulk would probably be much less an $1 per disc. You cant get flash drives cheaper than that, not even memory cards.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
Burn media and stamped disc are two different types of cost. Burn media is a dye melting process which requires a number of chemicals to be on each disc with many specific tolerances.

Mass produced disc are still a physical stamp using master disc.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
something something something don't copy that floppy.

but seriously discs are worth fractions of a cent these days and when they get damaged you have to buy a new one.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
Quit molesting your disc. I have dvds from 2000. Not a scratch on them.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Quit molesting your disc. I have dvds from 2000. Not a scratch on them.
This.

I have no idea how some people are absolutely terrible with discs. It feels like some must be neanderthals and toss discs around the cave. I've always taken care of any optical media.

I do love BD's scratch-resistant coating. I can take any T-shirt I'm wearing and wipe away any accidental fingerprints and not at all worry about inducing a scratch.

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
Blu-ray is way cheaper.
Blu-ray is standardized.
Blu-ray came out 10 years ago when flash media was stupidly expensive.