Why are voting hours limited?

Discussion in 'Politics and News' started by emperus, Nov 4, 2012.

1. a777pilot

a777pilot Diamond Member

Even an ass-hole can * up and get something right once in a while.

2. emperus

emperus Diamond Member

Repeating the same thing doesn't make your argument any more coherent. When you prepare for something, you expect the best and prepare for the worst. The worst here would be that everyone would wait till Fri, and Sat to vote. Esp. Sat since people don't have to work. The election commission should have prepared and thought about that distinct possibility and had more polling stations or more workers or even had the ability to bring in more workers or more polls. This is incompetence or something worse on Florida's part.

Again, there is no reason why anyone should wait more than 15minutes to vote. And you still haven't explained to me what the justification of limiting early voting esp. on Sun. when the election is on Tues.

3. emperus

emperus Diamond Member

He did earn my respect for that, not that my respect was what he was looking for.

4. DrPizza

DrPizza Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
    Administrator

I cannot fathom how there are 8 hour lines, unless they've made the process too difficult for the average voter to figure out, once they show up, else they simply don't have enough voting booths. Here, I walk in, sign my name, vote, chat with the ladies running the polling booths for a minute, and walk out. If I chat for 1 minute, it takes a total of 2 minutes from the moment I enter the door to the moment I exit the door.

5. DLeRium

DLeRium Lifer

maybe certain areas are totally messed up and have poll stations too far distributed. For both the 2010 and 2011 CA elections I've dropped off my ballot the day of. I'm going to drop off my ballot for 2012 too on Tuesday. I'll go see, but I can guarantee you there aren't lines more than 20 minutes long. More like 3 minutes.

6. Fern

Fern Elite Member <br> Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

I did early voting on Wedns and I had to wait quite while before voting.

IMO, the number 1 problem is the idiots who take for ever to complete their ballot. It's as though they've given no thought to voting until they arrive at the polls.

It's not plausible to think that they could keep the polls open for 24 hrs. The polls depend upon volunteers to remain open. All your volunteers etc need to be arranged well in advance. If the turn out is much larger than expected there's simply very little to be done at this late date.

Fern

7. Moonbeam

Moonbeam Elite Member

You may be a one eyed Jack, Dad, but I seen the other side of your face.

8. NoStateofMind

NoStateofMind Diamond Member

Depending on who it benefits most its a vast Left/Right wing conspiracy.

9. SheHateMe

SheHateMe Diamond Member

I takes about 2 seconds to go into the booth, check off the boxes, put the ballot in the box and leave.

No reason for someone to be in line for 8 hours.

10. Londo_Jowo

Londo_Jowo Lifer

Obviously you haven't seen the 10 page ballot in question. I would say a person that had not taken the time to review the ballot could take up to 15 to 20 minutes to vote.

11. bononos

bononos Diamond Member

It hurts the poor disproportionately since they have to take a day or 2 off to vote, that is if they can stand the wait instead of getting tired and leaving. Then there was the scandal with voting machines in the last few elections where richer counties had plenty of them which were in operable condition while the poorer ones had less machines and those they had could 'break down'.

12. pcgeek11

pcgeek11 Diamond Member

Not sure where you live, but I have never waited more than 30 minutes to vote, ever. I am 57 years old and have always voted.

13. emperus

emperus Diamond Member

What is the point of ur post? Are you disputing people are waiting in line for hours. Or, did you just want to gloat? I live in MA and it never takes me longer than 30 minutes to vote that doesn't discount the fact that some people have waited 8 hours to vote.

14. emperus

emperus Diamond Member

These people should be fn'ing arrested and tried for voter supression.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/11/04/3081614/florida-democratic-party-files.html

15. Rainsford

Rainsford Lifer

I would agree, but it seems like an easy problem to solve that would give us a good return on government money invested. Cheaping out on poll operations seems silly to me since it's a few days every 2 years (and of the non-Presidential years are usually lighter).

It would also help if election day was a national holiday, IMO, since it would mean more people could vote on election day itself without having to worry about work. That way the resources could be focused on having as many polling places open on one day as possible rather than spreading things very thin with weeks of early voting.

16. emperus

emperus Diamond Member

So, I guess people didn't wait for the last minute.

17. pcgeek11

pcgeek11 Diamond Member

Some do some don't... Probably poor planning.

I disagree with early voting all together. I disagree with the absentee ballot Unless you are unable to go to the polls on election day ( Military and disabled ... ).

Election day should also be a mandatory holiday for all except essential Fire/police etc... which should be allowed absentee ballots.

18. DCal430

DCal430 Diamond Member

The long lines are due to this being early voters, and most counties only have 1 or 2 locations for early voting so everyone is going there. They under estimated the number of people who would want to do early voting, so they weren't prepared for the numbers.

19. buckshot24

buckshot24 Diamond Member

Maybe with repetition it will sink in.:sneaky:

We just have a different view on the roll of government. I don't think the government should be in the business of fixing the consequences of peoples bad decisions.

20. emperus

emperus Diamond Member

I'm glad u think it is that benign. But, they purposely cut back on early voting days. Even cutting the early voting the Sunday before the election (you know, the day Churches like to bus to the polls). This isn't some incident of poor planning, this is orchestrated voter suppression.

21. DCal430

DCal430 Diamond Member

I wonder how many voting machines does each county have for early voting, I wouldn't be surprised if they are only using 1 or two machines in each county.

22. emperus

emperus Diamond Member

I mean, your facts are wrong, your reasoning illogical and thus your argument weak.

Early polling days are offered by the state. 1.) All the days have had long lines, as mentioned by people posting on this board and also by articles that have been written. 2.) If the state offers voting on a certain day, it is not a poor decision to choose to avail yourself of any day they offer. it is up to the state to ensure that they can accommodate everyone in a reasonable manner who chooses to vote on that day. I mean if this were a private business and they offered that kind of service, they would quickly be out of business.

23. Exterous

Exterous Lifer

I am thinking this may have something to do with it: (Apparently some are as long as 12 pages)
    http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/florida-voters-facing-a-long-long-ballot-in-november/1250664

24. FerrelGeek

FerrelGeek Diamond Member

Or just incompetent people running the polls at the local level. But it's so much easier to imagine one's self part of a victim group.

25. HomerJS

HomerJS Diamond Member

Even states with early voting are experiencing long lines in the first few days.

We need to make it easier for people to vote not harder.

Funny how one day voting was established when we had <10 mil people some states think that is adequite when our population is >300 mil.

BTW - No excuse for those GOP fuckhead governers ala Rick Scott stopping early voting the Sunday before election. Can't really hide your voter supression, can you?