Why are these Muslims setting themselves on fire? (with pic)

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Flaming protests after terrorist charges
Followers of an Iranian group whose leader was arrested in France on Tuesday have again been protesting - some setting themselves alight - in Italy, Switzerland and Iraq.

Of the more than 150 other members of the People's Mujahadeen arrested in Paris, only 22 are still in custody.

The French authorities suspect them of planning terrorist attacks. But as our diplomatic correspondent Lindsey Hilsum reports, the US has a more ambivalent attitude to this Iranian opposition movement.

Desperate and fanatical: today an Iranian protestor in Rome tried to set himself aflame. Italian police were ready. Protestors in Paris, London and Berne have tried to immolate themselves in recent days.

In London, the police were taking no chances. Clad in flame-resistant clothing, they were removing lighters and matches from demonstrators outside the French Embassy.

The group - the National Council for Resistance in Iran - is angry that the French authorities have arrested their leader Maryam Rajavi and several followers, alleging they were planning attacks on Iranian embassies in Europe.

A message from Rajavi was read - she's asked her followers not to set themselves on fire anymore.

Maryam Rajavi's spokesperson:

"I want to ask all of you to now refrain from self-immolation so that I will not become more concerned and aggrieved than I already am."

Many in the Iranian opposition see the NCRI as a strange cult, and it has little support inside Iran, but they see themselves as the true voice of opposition to the Mullahs.

NCRI protestor:

"It's because of freedom, because of dirty deals with the Iranian government, because of those Mullahs, because of 25-years of torture and killing people."

In 1992, the group set fire to Iranian embassies in 13 western countries.

Both European Union and American governments regard the armed wing of the group - based in Iraq - as terrorists.

The State Department says its philosophy is a mixture of Marxism and Islam, its history is studded with anti-western activities and it occasionally uses terrorist violence. But the American attitude may soon be about to change.

The military wing, the Mujahadeen al Khalq has been based in Iraq since the 1980s. It was funded and protected by Saddam Hussein.

When the Americans invaded Iraq they disarmed the Mujahadeen, but now it's believed the Americans are considering taking them off the terrorist list, re-arming them and using them against Iran.

President Bush, 18/06/03:

"Iran will be dangerous if they have a nuclear weapon."

Nowadays, President Bush never misses an opportunity to condemn Iran, saying it's building a nuclear weapon. But is the Mujahadeen al Khalq part of his plan?

Today, in Iraq, the disarmed Mujahadeen were - like branches elsewhere - protesting about the arrests in France. They fear that if the Americans don't re-arm them, they'll be left to languish in Iraq with dwindling support elsewhere.

Today French police searched Maryam Rajavi's house and made more arrests. Those who set themselves alight are in hospital. The others say they'll keep protesting until she's released.

http://www.channel4.com/news/2003/06/week_2/19_iran.html

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I don't understand why the French want to stop them. Let'em kill themselves off, then we don't need to waste much effort doing it ourselves.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: CPA
I don't understand why the French want to stop them. Let'em kill themselves off, then we don't need to waste much effort doing it ourselves.

Well, I believe you don't understand. Points for veracity.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
"When the Americans invaded Iraq they disarmed the Mujahadeen, but now it's believed the Americans are considering taking them off the terrorist list, re-arming them and using them against Iran. "

Well here we go again... have we no sense of right?

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
thats an awesome group, they helped fight some of the paramilitary groups that poured into Iraq, especially the Iranian ones, and assisted in taking that terrorist camp up north. They allow women to fight alongside men, and they are every bit the equal of a man on the field, they even drive tanks for them, quite welll I might add.

While I don't understand their motivation, especially considering the recent US flop in supporting them, at least they are only harming themselves in an effort to bring light to their struggle. They could have very easily used terrorist acts that left innocent people dead or maimed for life. Considering that, let them light themselvs up, maybe France will re-examine it's relationship with Iran, I doubt it though, they never wavered in their unabashed support of Saddam.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
dahunan

Islam at work? you have no idea what Islam is. You are an Idiot. Have a nice day. Do you even know about Islam?

Take your racist views some place else.

Macro2

Diamond Member
May 20, 2000
RE:"I don't see why they weren't passing out gas and matches..."

I thought the French loved them?

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Aimster
dahunan

Islam at work? you have no idea what Islam is. You are an Idiot. Have a nice day. Do you even know about Islam?

Is Islam a race? ;)

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
Reminds me of the hippies in the 60's.. they used to torch themselves occasionally.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: dahunan
dahunan

Is Islam a race? ;)

Racist:
racist

adj 1: based on racial intolerance; "racist remarks" 2: discriminatory especially on the basis of race or religion

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
I wanted mine medium rare, this is obviously well done, you're just going to have to take this back into the kitchen and make me another, need a light?

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
dahunan

Is Islam a race? ;)

Racist:
racist

adj 1: based on racial intolerance; "racist remarks" 2: discriminatory especially on the basis of race or religion

DAMN LIBERALS -- rewriting the dictionary so they can label people who don't like religion as "racists" :p --- LOL

I won't have anything against Islam when a follower of Islam chops off Osamas friggin head and brings it to us and then apologizes in the name of allah for the murder of 3500 innocent Americans -- THANK YOU.. you can now return to your regularly scheduled labeling program!

Kaiynne

Feb 23, 2003
dahunan

Is Islam a race? ;)

Racist:
racist

DAMN LIBERALS -- rewriting the dictionary so they can label people who don't like religion as "racists" :p --- LOL

I won't have anything against Islam when a follower of Islam chops off Osamas friggin head and brings it to us and then apologizes in the name of allah for the murder of 3500 innocent Americans -- THANK YOU.. you can now return to your regularly scheduled labeling program!

So your replacement for religion would be nationalism?
which is much more dangerous than many religions, though just as stupid as them.

Would it not be fair then based on your argument for a vietnamese person to say i won't have anything against american nationalists when one of them cuts off kissingers head and brings it to me on a plate.

or how about a sick sudanese child who says i won't have anything against americans when they bring me bill clintons head on a plate.

Why is it the responsibility of an islamic person to hunt down Osama bin Laden.
Is it your responsibilty to hunt down the perpetrators of the mai lai massacare.
Or to find the guy shot the missiles at the sudanese medicine depot.

Of course not, that would be idiocy. I simply cannot understand how somewhat reasonable people can become so blinded by emotion and nationalism that the cannot see that the standards they place on others they could not possibly bear the weight of.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Kaiynne
dahunan

Is Islam a race? ;)

Racist:
racist

So your replacement for religion would be nationalism?
which is much more dangerous than many religions, though just as stupid as them.

Would it not be fair then based on your argument for a vietnamese person to say i won't have anything against american nationalists when one of them cuts off kissingers head and brings it to me on a plate.

or how about a sick sudanese child who says i won't have anything against americans when they bring me bill clintons head on a plate.

Why is it the responsibility of an islamic person to hunt down Osama bin Laden.
Is it your responsibilty to hunt down the perpetrators of the mai lai massacare.
Or to find the guy shot the missiles at the sudanese medicine depot.

Of course not, that would be idiocy. I simply cannot understand how somewhat reasonable people can become so blinded by emotion and nationalism that the cannot see that the standards they place on others they could not possibly bear the weight of.

I know my opinion is not very logical... but I find it near impossible to get over what was done to America.

I do not hate all Muslims and I do not hate all people from Muslim Dominated regions....

I am beginning to distrust/hate all religion though. It just seems to divide and exclude people. twelve tribes this.... non believers that... infidels...baptised peoples ... whatever....old testament... new testament...

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
This is hiliarious. Why don't they just let them burn to death? I'm sick of stupid people doing stupid things and then getting bailed out. Hell, pour more gasoline on them!

Lynx516

Apr 20, 2003
I will only say this. Before making inflamatory threads plaese look up the context in which these demonstrations are taking place. And get over 911 because we in England have had to deal with years of terrorism in which thousands have died. So do your research on this topic i.e. what is the Iranian Opposition trying to do in Iran and what are their aims? e.t.c Once you do this you will see why they are doing this. It is an extreme form of protest but that is how they feel.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Lynx516
I will only say this. Before making inflamatory threads plaese look up the context in which these demonstrations are taking place. And get over 911 because we in England have had to deal with years of terrorism in which thousands have died. So do your research on this topic i.e. what is the Iranian Opposition trying to do in Iran and what are their aims? e.t.c Once you do this you will see why they are doing this. It is an extreme form of protest but that is how they feel.

P.S. You will do much better in life if you NEVER tell someone to just "get over 911" <<< TO ME...that was VERY INFLAMMATORY AND DISRESPECTFUL AND DISGUSTING.

Lynx516

Apr 20, 2003
From the rest of the world's point of view 911 was a tragady. However bad things happen. I was horrified by what happened. However I was not overly surprised that America had been targeted by terrorist and infact I was surprised it didnt happen earlyer. However the reaction from it such as invading Afganistan (which in itself is fine) however now it has been sidelined and it is calling for the international community to help it. The situation in Iraq and how the Iraqi people are being treated by the American soldiers and the lack of a prepared government will most likly cause more people to go to extremism and therefore hate and maybe even attack the US. What I am hacked off about is how the US go into a conflict "win" it then go away and leave the country in a very bad state. Iraq at the moment is a prime breeding ground for terrorists as the US is treating them like dirt. Nothing is happening the Iraqi people feel like pawns in an international game. That is my 2 pence and I bow out of this conversation here.

Sorry for any offence caused but I feel I have a right to be heard.

edited for strong language. (my emotions are running high)