Why are there so few coronavirus cases in Russia and Africa?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bluzman64

Mar 24, 2020
I suspect a significant number of people in WVA are retired coal workers with various stages of black lung. Just wait. You ain't seen nothin yet.
With blacklung those poor hillbillies can't take a deep enough breath in to ingest the virus

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Suppression of information is my hunch for Russia, unless vodka is a preventative.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Look at a world map. Countries north and NW of China have low numbers. All this seems to be in line with travel destinations. Maybe long term we should stop allowing people from China with fevers from entering the country.

However I don't get the Iran concentration
800px-COVID-19_Outbreak_World_Map.svg.png

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Look at a world map. Countries north and NW of China have low numbers. All this seems to be in line with travel destinations. Maybe long term we should stop allowing people from China with fevers from entering the country.

800px-COVID-19_Outbreak_World_Map.svg.png

As mentioned already, those numbers don't necessarily represent the reality - testing is limited for both practical and political reasons.

Also there's always going to be an element of random chance in these things. Iran, like Italy, probably happened to have an early asymptomatic spreader, probably a visitor from China, and thus got a head-start on everywhere else. My impression is that most of Europe got it from visitors to Italy, not directly from China. Kind of like pasta - started in China but Italy made it its own, and now lots of countries have their own versions.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Yeah I’m wonder if really many Chinese traveled to Iran after CNY. Like the spread to North America, Europe and Australia definitely initially stemmed from Chinese travel. But these people got isolated immediately and no further community spread occurred at end of January and first week of February.

But it’s the community spread from Italy and Iran to vacationers that caused this surge from middle to late February.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
i find it incredibly funny that russia fucked with our election to get dumb ass trump elected and then dumb ass trump does dumb ass shit like get rid of the pandemic task force and then a pandemic fucking wrecks russia. LMAO.

Reactions: dank69

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
i find it incredibly funny that russia fucked with our election to get dumb ass trump elected and then dumb ass trump does dumb ass shit like get rid of the pandemic task force and then a pandemic fucking wrecks russia. LMAO.
It'll wreck us worse. Putin's investment in Trump's election was a stroke of genius, the greatest propaganda coup in history. The perps were hilariously drunk before noon on Nov 9, 2016. Stupid fucking Americans actually fell for it!

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
It'll wreck us worse. Putin's investment in Trump's election was a stroke of genius, the greatest propaganda coup in history. The perps were hilariously drunk before noon on Nov 9, 2016. Stupid fucking Americans actually fell for it!

Well the silver lining is going to be piles and piles of dead Russians who are losing a oil war with saudi.

Reactions: dank69

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Well the silver lining is going to be piles and piles of dead Russians who are losing a oil war with saudi.

They'll probably do better than us because they have more competent leadership. That's right- the corrupt Russian oligarchy is likely more competent than the Trump admin. That's not the reason the GOP wants us to be more like them, of course. Oligarchy is the end game of unrestrained Capitalism, what they've strived so hard to create for the last 40 years.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
My post was accurate at the time it was posted. These stats change every day. But it certainly isn't 80% like the poster I quoted said.

your state is one of the worst equipped to deal with this. Enjoy the freedumb.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
They'll probably do better than us because they have more competent leadership. That's right- the corrupt Russian oligarchy is likely more competent than the Trump admin. That's not the reason the GOP wants us to be more like them, of course. Oligarchy is the end game of unrestrained Capitalism, what they've strived so hard to create for the last 40 years.

Well that's certainly true, but it's also worth pointing out that any authoritarian country has powers that a democratic state does not have. Like forcing people to stay home on threat of arrest. This is how China took care of its problem as quickly as it did.

Our lockdown orders are really only enforceable in relation to retail businesses. People can go out and do whatever they want. For most of us, the "lockdown" is just advice framed as an "order."

Jan 25, 2011
Did anyone actually take the time to see how Russia responded to Coronavirus and when they responded? You might be surprised to see how quickly they took action and how much testing they did early on to try and isolate and prevent spread.

Where they fucked up was not testing incoming from Italy and Europe early enough. That’s about to start catching up with them now.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I dont know what youre going on about, but attacking the state someone lives in is pretty kindergarten like. Typical for you though I guess.

*shrug*

And you'd have to have a kindergarten level education to think it was an attack and not an explanation for the results.

Typical of you though.