Why are there no other games based on the CryEngine?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: apoppin
Would i also be right in saying that "support" is also an important factor in deciding on a game engine?

It might be considered but not very much in comparison to the other reasons stated in this thread. When it comes to support for software that costs almost a million dollars and is primarily used by other companies to produce products which could net several millions of dollars then you will find that the support is A+ in comparison to say...Dell.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex
STALKER on the beach?

The beach being the areas of the map you can explore, the water being the areas that you can't explore. They'd have to come up with a new boundary, probably radiation poisoning / etc similar to the original STALKER.

While Crysis may be on an island, it shows that it can render/create a real forest better than any other games out there (It also did a snowy wasteland perfectly). I would be surprised if it has trouble doing cities/ruins.

Originally posted by: kirilus
Crysis looks like a cartoon.

The only way Crysis looks like a cartoon is if your system runs it at the absolute bare minimum. There is no way it looks cartoony beyond that.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Canai
Originally posted by: apoppin
Perhaps the CryTek Devs didn't provide a good level of support compared to the other engines. :p

They've actually been working with several independent mod teams for over six months now. They gave out a few early SDK kits and worked closely. I don't remember which mods off the top of my head, though :(

MechWarrior: Living Legends is the Crysis mod that I've heard mentioned most often.

kirilus

Feb 7, 2008
The only way Crysis looks like a cartoon is if your system runs it at the absolute bare minimum. There is no way it looks cartoony beyond that.

All on HIGH, man. Look at the S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s X-ray and how it could be customized. Look at the lights map - all dynamic. Everything looks and feels real. Now look at Crysis - there is absolutely nothing original/unique about it. Oh, it made some people upgrade from 939 to 775 and from 6800/7900 to 8800 - only good thing about it.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006

All on HIGH, man. Look at the S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s X-ray and how it could be customized. Look at the lights map - all dynamic. Everything looks and feels real. Now look at Crysis - there is absolutely nothing original/unique about it. Oh, it made some people upgrade from 939 to 775 and from 6800/7900 to 8800 - only good thing about it.

What kind of customizations are you talking about? Out of all the mods for STALKER I've seen, the black&white with highlights and the texture replacement mods were the ones most graphically unique. One made the game black and white, the other one rendered it completely unplayable. While STALKER managed to portray a very creepy dilapidated alternate reality, the outside parts sucked. They looked meh at best, while the interior parts of the game looked amazing.

STALKER has been out for quite a while, so lots of people have had a long time to work on tweaking out the engine. Crysis has been out for a few months, yet look at some of the stuff people are already modding the engine to do:
Text
Text
Text
Text
Text

Once gaming rigs can run the CryEngine on those settings with playable framerates the engine will be leasing like crazy.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

What kind of customizations are you talking about? Out of all the mods for STALKER I've seen, the black&white with highlights and the texture replacement mods were the ones most graphically unique. One made the game black and white, the other one rendered it completely unplayable. While STALKER managed to portray a very creepy dilapidated alternate reality, the outside parts sucked. They looked meh at best, while the interior parts of the game looked amazing.

STALKER has been out for quite a while, so lots of people have had a long time to work on tweaking out the engine. Crysis has been out for a few months, yet look at some of the stuff people are already modding the engine to do:
Text
Text
Text
Text
Text

Once gaming rigs can run the CryEngine on those settings with playable framerates the engine will be leasing like crazy.

Well then, they should start *now* - in 2 years when their game is ready a decent midrange rig will be able to play it very well at 'high' and the top single GPUs at 'very high' :p

gotta have foresight ;)

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
How did you get those custom crysis mode?

Because that looks phenomenally better than the others, but I don't think it looked that BAD on high when I played. I thought it was closer to the right most picture O-o

kirilus

Feb 7, 2008

Text
Text
Text
Text
Text

...well for those who think that "customization" means adding mods, here is the list of some of the commands you can use in X-ray to optimize graphics in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:

r1_dlights [on,off]
r1_dlights_clip [10.000 - 150.000]
r1_glows_per_frame [2 - 32]
r1_lmodel_lerp [0.000 - 0.333]
r1_ssa_lod_a [16.000 - 96.000]
r1_tf_mipbias [-0.500 - 0.500]
r2_gi [on,off]
r2_aa [on,off]
r2_aa_kernel [0.300 - 0.700]
r2_gloss_factor [0.000 - 10.000]
r2_ls_bloom_kernel_g [1.000 - 7.000]
r2_ls_bloom_kernel_scale [0.500 - 2.000]
r2_ls_bloom_speed [0.000 - 100.000]
r2_mr2_sun_depth_far_bias [-0.500 - 0.500]
r2_sun_depth_far_scale [0.500 - 1.500]
r2_sun_depth_near_bias [-0.500 - 0.500]
r2_sun_depth_near_scale [0.500 - 1.500]blur [0.000 - 1.000]
snd_targets [4 - 32]

an so on, for a full list - read the Advanced Tweaking guide.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006

Text
Text
Text
Text
Text

...well for those who think that "customization" means adding mods, here is the list of some of the commands you can use in X-ray to optimize graphics in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:

r1_dlights [on,off]
r1_dlights_clip [10.000 - 150.000]
r1_glows_per_frame [2 - 32]
r1_lmodel_lerp [0.000 - 0.333]
r1_ssa_lod_a [16.000 - 96.000]
r1_tf_mipbias [-0.500 - 0.500]
r2_gi [on,off]
r2_aa [on,off]
r2_aa_kernel [0.300 - 0.700]
r2_gloss_factor [0.000 - 10.000]
r2_ls_bloom_kernel_g [1.000 - 7.000]
r2_ls_bloom_kernel_scale [0.500 - 2.000]
r2_ls_bloom_speed [0.000 - 100.000]
r2_mr2_sun_depth_far_bias [-0.500 - 0.500]
r2_sun_depth_far_scale [0.500 - 1.500]
r2_sun_depth_near_bias [-0.500 - 0.500]
r2_sun_depth_near_scale [0.500 - 1.500]blur [0.000 - 1.000]
snd_targets [4 - 32]

Engine adjustments via config files are what those Crysis shots are from. STALKER is run off a similar system.

I do believe that customization is adding mods, while tweaking is editing configs for engine enhancements.

& it looks to me like you just copied a couple random variables that can also be adjusted in game via the graphics menus. AA, dynamic lights, detail levels, etc...

So it is a TWEAK guide, not a customization guide? ;)

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

Text
Text
Text
Text
Text

Assuming another engine doesn't come along in the mean time and steal their thunder. Sometimes releasing technology that is too far ahead of its time is a bad thing for business even when considering the money made in the long run. There are many other reasons why this could go wrong for them too.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: Xavier434

Text
Text
Text
Text
Text

Assuming another engine doesn't come along in the mean time and steal their thunder. Sometimes releasing technology that is too far ahead of its time is a bad thing for business even when considering the money made in the long run. There are many other reasons why this could go wrong for them too.

id's engine is the only major one AFAIK that is set to release soon. UT3 engine is crap already, Source engine is way behind UT3 even, other proprietary engines (like the Witcher's engine, I can't remember the name) are always behind the big name ones. Also look at the X-Ray engine from STALKER. It looks nice, but crashes a LOT, it's a pain to alt-tab, and it's all brown and gray. Crysis is a dream to alt-tab, the editor is fucking amazing, and it scales really well. Some of the more advanced engine features are just now becoming available in the modding community. Crytek actually neutered their engine because of Microsoft's input.

Crytek released an engine that nothing could run, which finally gives nVidia a reason to release some new hardware. The 8800GTX cards, top of the line for over a year, can run all the other engines without problems, so now nVidia has a real reason to advance their cards.

A year without new high end cards is nVidia fucking over the market. They could easily have put out faster hardware by now, yet they've had no reason to.

Do you really believe that by the time the next generation of cards is mature that the CryEngine will be outdated or have some other engine run and look better? I highly doubt it.

I think one thing that a lot of you are forgetting is that Crysis just came out, at least compared to the other engines. The UT3 engine has been out for a while (I'm not going to look it up :p), and there have already been two full games based on the engine, and GoW has been out for a while.

Basically the CryEngine is competition for UnrealEngine 4 and whatever next-gen engines (ones designed to run on the 9800 series, or whatever ATi has in store to compete with them)

I'm excited for the future of the CryEngine. It can render huge outdoor environs in amazing detail, and it's not too bad for indoor areas either. Far Cry 2 will be interesting because of the total locale shift from the jungle to the desert, so that will be cool to see. Anyway I have to go back to work now :(

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

id's engine is the only major one AFAIK that is set to release soon. UT3 engine is crap already, Source engine is way behind UT3 even, other proprietary engines (like the Witcher's engine, I can't remember the name) are always behind the big name ones. Also look at the X-Ray engine from STALKER. It looks nice, but crashes a LOT, it's a pain to alt-tab, and it's all brown and gray. Crysis is a dream to alt-tab, the editor is fucking amazing, and it scales really well. Some of the more advanced engine features are just now becoming available in the modding community. Crytek actually neutered their engine because of Microsoft's input.

Crytek released an engine that nothing could run, which finally gives nVidia a reason to release some new hardware. The 8800GTX cards, top of the line for over a year, can run all the other engines without problems, so now nVidia has a real reason to advance their cards.

A year without new high end cards is nVidia fucking over the market. They could easily have put out faster hardware by now, yet they've had no reason to.

Do you really believe that by the time the next generation of cards is mature that the CryEngine will be outdated or have some other engine run and look better? I highly doubt it.

I think one thing that a lot of you are forgetting is that Crysis just came out, at least compared to the other engines. The UT3 engine has been out for a while (I'm not going to look it up :p), and there have already been two full games based on the engine, and GoW has been out for a while.

Basically the CryEngine is competition for UnrealEngine 4 and whatever next-gen engines (ones designed to run on the 9800 series, or whatever ATi has in store to compete with them)

I'm excited for the future of the CryEngine. It can render huge outdoor environs in amazing detail, and it's not too bad for indoor areas either. Far Cry 2 will be interesting because of the total locale shift from the jungle to the desert, so that will be cool to see. Anyway I have to go back to work now :(

We'll see. As a developer, I can tell you that all of your justifications are sound but what the Cry engine offers does not satisfy the other priorities which take precedence over those justifications. See my previous posts in this thread for more detail about what I am talking about but it essentially boils down to time and money.

The Cry engine has a lot of potential to become big but I feel it is too soon to start placing bets.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: Xavier434

We'll see. As a developer, I can tell you that all of your justifications are sound but what the Cry engine offers does not satisfy the other priorities which take precedence over those justifications. See my previous posts in this thread for more detail about what I am talking about but it essentially boils down to time and money.

The Cry engine has a lot of potential to become big but I feel it is too soon to start placing bets.

I agree it's too soon to see what happens with it, but I'm pretty sure it'll take off, at least against all the other engines out right now. The AT preview of the 4x 3870 cards shows no improvement from 2-3-4 cards, and the fact really is that there's nothing out there right now that can use the engine to it's fullest.

At the very least I hope the modding community really takes off with Crysis this summer. The Jurrasic Park and MechWarrior mods look great, and there's a Silent Hill mod in the works that looks really, really creepy. I think the ease of modding will be a major boon to the engine sales.

On a side note, does anyone have any price comparisons for the UT3/Witcher/CryEngine licensing?

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
I suspect the biggest factor is how easy the engine is to work with. This is the reason the Unreal engine rose to dominence over ID software's engines. ID software's engines were very advanced, but John Carmack's code is apparently pretty messy.