Why are teachers always complaining about being low paid?

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
I heard on the radio this morning that teachers in Houston ISD start at 42k on average, and that's just for 9 months a year! I'd love to be making that! :confused:

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
42k isn't that much for the amount of crap you have to put up with from annoying kids. Especially if you are working in an inner city school with our wonderful youth.

dudeman007

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2004
Originally posted by: OVerLoRDI
42k isn't that much for the amount of crap you have to put up with from annoying kids. Especially if you are working in an inner city school with our wonderful youth.

Teachers do it for the kids....or else they wouldn't be teachers.

tasmanian

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2006
You have to remember the fact they work from 7 to like 5 somtimes later. Then they probably read over 1-2k plus.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004

eh, the inner city teachers aside, I think they make a fair salary for the job they do.

Originally posted by: tasmanian
You have to remember the fact they work from 7 to like 5 somtimes later. Then they probably read over 1-2k plus.

They deserve extra pay for being literate?

And to think that I read for fun...whom do I bill?

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe
I heard on the radio this morning that teachers in Houston ISD start at 42k on average, and that's just for 9 months a year! I'd love to be making that! :confused:

If you made that much year round it would come out to 56k a year

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
You're thinking that they work from 8am-3pm and that's it. Wrong. They put in hours outside of the classroom everyday getting ready for the next days lessons. Not to mention grading tests, reports, quizzes, etc once they get home.

And I doubt most teachers sit on their assess all summer either. They're probably either teaching a summer course or two, or taking classes and refresher courses themselves. Considering the hours they put in outside of the classroom and the amount of crap they have to put up with, $42,000/yr is nothing IMO.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: dudeman007

Teachers do it for the kids....or else they wouldn't be teachers.
They used to. Now teachers just do the kids.

Originally posted by: RaistlinZ
You're thinking that they work from 8am-3pm and that's it. Wrong. They put in hours outside of the classroom everyday getting ready for the next days lessons. Not to mention grading tests, reports, quizzes, etc once they get home.

And I doubt most teachers sit on their assess all summer either. They're probably either teaching a summer course or two, or taking classes and refresher courses themselves. Considering the hours they put in outside of the classroom and the amount of crap they have to put up with, $42,000/yr is nothing IMO.
It's horrible. I see it all the time. "Oh dear god no! I don't want to be a teacher!!!! PLEASE don't force me to do this! AAAUGGGHHH!!!!!.......
Good morning, class!"

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: RaistlinZ

If they are teaching summer classes which only very few do, then they get paid. If they are taking courses/refresher courses then they are doing so for free because its included in the great benefits package. They have around 10 weeks off in the summer, 1.5 weeks off during Christmas, another week off in February, and another week off for spring break. I don't even want to get into the benefits they get because they are the awesome.

potoba

Oct 17, 2006
as they they they dont deserve to be paid that low. They think they're too smart for the money...

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
Originally posted by: potoba
as they they they dont deserve to be paid that low. They think they're too smart for the money...

Your English teacher didn't get paid enough.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
They don't get paid enough for the work and responsibility they have. My friend is an high school english teacher. After working a 40+ hour week, they still need to meet with parents, grade 100+ papers x 15 minutes every other week or so, put together courses, tests, etc. Add up the hours, they're putting in more than what most people work in a full year in 9 months.

fierydemise

Platinum Member
Apr 16, 2005
Originally posted by: BarneyFife
If they are teaching summer classes which only very few do, then they get paid. If they are taking courses/refresher courses then they are doing so for free because its included in the great benefits package. They have around 10 weeks off in the summer, 1.5 weeks off during Christmas, another week off in February, and another week off for spring break. I don't even want to get into the benefits they get because they are the awesome.
Saying they get that time off is a bit misleading, most teachers are working (grading, planning lessons, etc.) over those breaks. Imagine an English teacher with 3 classes of 30 students each (two very conservative estimates), they assign an essay to be due the Friday before Christmas Break, they now have 90 essays to grade over their "time off" not exactly the most relaxing thing.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
They don't get paid enough for the work and responsibility they have. My friend is an high school english teacher. After working a 40+ hour week, they still need to meet with parents, grade 100+ papers x 15 minutes every other week or so, put together courses, tests, etc. Add up the hours, they're putting in more than what most people work in a full year in 9 months.

Exactly. And given the results (i.e. test scores of kids coming out of these schools), I think teachers aren't getting paid anywhere near enough.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
well it takes a while to repay college loans for a good teacher.

It's got it's perks...but man it's got it's sh1ts.

Bibble

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2006

Well said, sir.

One of my high school teachers ranted about this same thing in class. He claimed that what teachers make is "one step above the poverty line." He argued that since teachers aren't paid enough, really talented individuals who would make great teachers go into other fields. This leaves the jobs to be filled by people who are second-rate and do not perform as well as the more talented individuals would. This results in the detriment of students' educations. Ergo, paying teachers 80k+ would result in more talented individuals becoming teachers, which in turn would result in better educations for children.

I'm not sure if I agree with his logic, but I do feel teachers should be paid more. My mother has been an elementary school teacher in a city for 25 years and makes close to 90k now working from 7 to 4. She usually teaches summer school too, which gives her about another 8k (not sure how much exactly). She doesn't complain about being underpaid.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: potoba

I know how they feel. I I I Am too sexy for my shirt.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Already been said. I think good teachers are worth their weight in gold.

Mloot

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002
Originally posted by: BarneyFife
...I don't even want to get into the benefits they get because they are the awesome.

Really, because I haven't seen it. I work in a job that is tied to the oil industry, and my benefits are a damn site better than what my wife gets.

She is a 5th grade teacher and I know the kind of kids she puts up with on a daily basis. I couldn't do her job for a week, much less for an entire school year.