Why are STD's only transmitted sexually?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
Ok so it's not really anything special about the genitals? For instance people kiss a lot and the mouth is supposed to be pretty germy. Why don't these same diseases get transferred like that? Let me say it's possible that maybe I didn't explain my question clearly. However, let me say I am aware of how to prevent STD's. I am trying to explore what's different about that part of the body versus other parts that should be open to germs also.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Ok so it's not really anything special about the genitals?
Different bacteria and viruses have preferred environments that they survive best in, and some are most comfortable in warm moist environments that match the PH level found in the human reproductive system. This is why we consider some diseases to be sexually transmitted, simply because they tend to survive better in the reproductive systems rather than in other locations.

For instance people kiss a lot and the mouth is supposed to be pretty germy. Why don't these same diseases get transferred like that?

They do. I can't think offhand of a single STI that you can't get orally. Most so called STIs, like HIV, are really blood born diseases. While the virus is in seminal and vaginal fluids it is in small quantities, and it is usually breaks in the mucus that bleed that allow for infection.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Hate to burst your bubble, but we did talk about it 40+ years ago in health class. Maybe the OP skipped class. Though the teacher never discussed mucous membranes, but that part should be pretty obvious.
I learned through personal experience and a course of tetracycline

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
You can get STD's in your eye. How do I know this? I once visited a place where REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED. Later I was talking to an opthamologist who said a few young airmen who visited that placed ended up getting an STD in their eye after getting hit in the face with a piece of hotdog.
Usually you have to pay extra for that

Reactions: MongGrel

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Think we need the feds to spend about $50M to study this.
You know it wasn't that long ago that the U.S. Army was conducting tests on poor black Americans without their consent in the southern states which eventually got them busted.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Several reasons:

Skin to skin: The type of skin/sweat glands "down there" are only present on your armpits and groin. So types of virus' that infects that particular type of skin does not easily spread to your hands, faces, chest, whatever. You could theoretically transfer it armpit to armpit but I think that happens literally never.

Immune system reasons: Only your eyes and reproductive organs get a free pass from the immune system. This is why people get ebola and its still present in their eyes months later. Generally speaking testis, ovaries and eyes get a free pass from alot of white blood cell intervention... making them viral and bacterial reservoirs

Skin breakage: Gives bacteria and viruses access to the blood stream. This is mostly male to female particularly around the aunt flow time of month. Female to female transmission is pretty low for most STDs and its stupid high for Male to Male because there are virtually no natural defenses "that way" You can even get butt herpes, just saying.

Further skin type: Mucous membranes "down there" are a similar skin type to what lines your mouth actually, and so there is also alot of Oral STD transmission.

So yea, go hop on Tinder and boink in the woods with like 5 different people... see what happens....

You can actually tell people who have had alot of sex partners have bad complexion from the skin viral load, IMO.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
You can get STD's in your eye. How do I know this? I once visited a place where REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED. Later I was talking to an opthamologist who said a few young airmen who visited that placed ended up getting an STD in their eye after getting hit in the face with a piece of hotdog.

Sounds a bit like Subic Bay in the past, but that was more a Navy stop in the past I guess.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
This reminds me back in Jr. High where the fine educators there told us not to exchange food or eat/drink after someone else because you will get Aids. So many leftover school pizza's that went to waste that year...it saddens me to this day.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
This reminds me back in Jr. High where the fine educators there told us not to exchange food or eat/drink after someone else because you will get Aids. So many leftover school pizza's that went to waste that year...it saddens me to this day.
No just mono and over 200 strains of herpes.

Generally speaking you aren't gonna want to do alot of "sharing" with large groups of people particularly if they come from far away.

It works alot like this, IMO. In your regional locale, the viral load is pretty low for the natives, as they individually get sick and fight off the minor viruses. I'd share a drink with someone from the neighborhood where I grew up, no big deal.

When you're talking about total strangers from all over... you actually do in fact have to be more careful or you WILL get sick. No germophobe, just science. Strains of viruses spread by region. I'm pretty sure everyone in the northeast got a strain of norovirus for example. If you went to the west coast, you could easily get food poisoning AGAIN by a different strain of the same virus. Not fun.

The worst is if you visit India. The sanitation is pretty bad and the population density is high. You don't stand a chance.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Yes, I do know that. But what does that have to do with my facetious comment about the feds spending money on useless studies?

You know it wasn't that long ago that the U.S. Army was conducting tests on poor black Americans without their consent in the southern states which eventually got them busted.