Why are ribs so expensive?? **Poll on what you prefer**

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
try cooking each.
ribs are hard to cook right. and take much much longer as well. steak is retarded easy and quick to prepare, only the meat cost pushes that price up.

yup. big bbq chain here in houston is pappas bbq. the ribs all come from the same commissary. but there can be tremendous variation in the ribs because each pit master at each location will do it his/her own way.

they do a whole rack of baby back ribs with 2 sides for $15. awesome.

steak is pop it in the 600 degree oven for 3 minutes a side.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis
ribs are cheap as fuck. it's the 8 hours of smoking + labor involved thats expensive

This is the correct answer.

I can get dino ribs at the local grocery store for $1/lb. and baby backs for $3/lb. Brisket and shoulder are in the same range.

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
Originally posted by: AbsolutDealage
Originally posted by: CorCentral
Most of you state "LONG" cook times for ribs. I thought the majority of people liked raw meat? You demand your steaks to be pink! Why not medium ribs?
OK, you go cook some "medium" ribs on a grill. Lemme know how that goes...

When I'm out at a restaurant, I place my order like this everytime for a steak--
EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA well done, Not burned!!, just thoroughly cooked/no pink. I will wait 2 hours while I drink my beer...... no problem/don't rush it!

Wow, you might as well eat a nice heaping pile of cardboard. A well done steak is a sin.

I'm surprised that you don't get laughed out of the joint when ordering a steak like that (at a steakhouse, that is).
You ask how many times I've sent steak back? ALOT! Well I always tip the cook real well if it's good and will never accept a free steak unless it's my birthday ;) I will accept a free bartab if the steak was crap!

Very little, if any, of the tip that you are leaving will ever get in the hands of that line cook.

As for you and a couple other people here criticizing how I like my steak cooked? That's how I like my damn steak! I like it cooked "SLOW" and "DONE" (not RAW, not BURNED or CHARRED!) It's called well done! Ever try to butterfly a Porterhouse? It's the only way to fly.

When it comes to what you like after it's cooked, there is no WRONG WAY! Some of you are trying to be elitist and watching too many crap kitchen shows! Has to be RAW or it's WRONG!............... Whatever, eat your raw crap and leave me alone. I like my steak DONE.
And the cook statement/leaving a tip deal........... I make sure the money goes directly to the cook for at least the price of the steak. Usually around $20.00.

I'll take my so called cardboard before your raw a** crap anyday.

yoda291

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Originally posted by: AbsolutDealage
Most of you state "LONG" cook times for ribs. I thought the majority of people liked raw meat? You demand your steaks to be pink! Why not medium ribs?
OK, you go cook some "medium" ribs on a grill. Lemme know how that goes...

When I'm out at a restaurant, I place my order like this everytime for a steak--
EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA well done, Not burned!!, just thoroughly cooked/no pink. I will wait 2 hours while I drink my beer...... no problem/don't rush it!

Wow, you might as well eat a nice heaping pile of cardboard. A well done steak is a sin.

I'm surprised that you don't get laughed out of the joint when ordering a steak like that (at a steakhouse, that is).
You ask how many times I've sent steak back? ALOT! Well I always tip the cook real well if it's good and will never accept a free steak unless it's my birthday ;) I will accept a free bartab if the steak was crap!

Very little, if any, of the tip that you are leaving will ever get in the hands of that line cook.

As for you and a couple other people here criticizing how I like my steak cooked? That's how I like my damn steak! I like it cooked "SLOW" and "DONE" (not RAW, not BURNED or CHARRED!) It's called well done! Ever try to butterfly a Porterhouse? It's the only way to fly.

When it comes to what you like after it's cooked, there is no WRONG WAY! Some of you are trying to be elitist and watching too many crap kitchen shows! Has to be RAW or it's WRONG!............... Whatever, eat your raw crap and leave me alone. I like my steak DONE.
And the cook statement/leaving a tip deal........... I make sure the money goes directly to the cook for at least the price of the steak. Usually around $20.00.

I'll take my so called cardboard before your raw a** crap anyday.

How you like your steak cooked is your prerogative (whatever floats your boat)...but the reason you generally take a steak off before the center loses the color is simply because of what happens to proteins when you heat them. They pull apart from each other after a while leaving strands of protein. At this point, this is a good point to pull off the meat because continued application of heat will cause them to curl up and bind to each other tightly afterwards, making for a tough piece of food. There's a difference between raw steak and steak that's cooked to pinkness. Pink steak IS cooked really. I like steak tartare myself, which involves little to no heat at all but it's still cooked. (the meat protein is shredded chemically in acidic liquid)

Ribs on the other hand are cooked in the way they are because you don't really care about the protein. You want to dissolve all that connective tissue because that gives you a butter soft mouth-feel. The meat itself is technically way overcooked, but that's ok because it's virtually swimming in gelatin stuff which acts like a seperator for discrete strands of meat. (in steak terms, it's the same thing as cutting against the grain so you bite parallel to it...the strands themselves are tough, but because you're wedging in between them with your teeth, it has a tender mouth-feel).

Used to be in grade school, they illustrated the whole protein under heat thingy with cheese. I did it in 7th grade lab. (Now, I have to go apologize to my 7th grade science teacher...turns out I did use something she taught me afterwards. )

BTW, I think the reason steak and rib prices are so parallel is because high end steak houses put in roughly the same time and effort to make the steak that great smokers put into their ribs. Often, the steaks are(or claim to be) dry aged, which takes several days of prep work beforehand.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Howard
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
Solid cuts of beef are safe to eat once the outside hits 160. AFAIK, little or no bacteria inhabit the inside. Pork does have critters on the inside and should be cooked to 160 throughout.

First, there is no more bacteria in pork than beef. If the"critters" you are referring to are trichinosis, then those critters have been eliminated by American Pork producers long ago (shortly after WW II).
How did they prove that?

According to the CDC: Infection was once very common and usually caused by ingestion of undercooked pork. However, infection is now relatively rare. During 1997-2001, an average of 12 cases per year were reported. The number of cases has decreased because of legislation prohibiting the feeding of raw-meat garbage to hogs, commercial and home freezing of pork, and the public awareness of the danger of eating raw or undercooked pork products. Cases are less commonly associated with pork products and more often associated with eating raw or undercooked wild game meats.

Second, pork like beef, is perfectly safe to eat with an internal temp of 140 F.
I suppose that depends on one's assumption that the above is true.

Likewise, trichanea is killed at 137 degrees as well as Gamma Irradiation and one of the few food borne illness causing agents to be killed by hard freezing.

Third, the quality of tenderness does depend on the amount of connective tissue present in the meat. However, I challenge anyone to see for themselves that pork tenderloin is every bit as tender as a beef tenderloin. Pork does not have tougher meat than do cattle.

I don't doubt that pork tenderloin can be as tender as beef tenderloin, but pork has an inherent disadvantage in that it tends to be leaner than beef.

It is only very recently (from about 1998 on) that pork has been specifically bred for less fat and not all producers raise these type of hogs.

The bottom line is that pork is one of the few food products that the U.S. raises both more of and of higher quality than anyone else in the world. Da Chef has spoken. :)

Ophir

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2001
Originally posted by: yoda291
I like steak tartare myself, which involves little to no heat at all but it's still cooked. (the meat protein is shredded chemically in acidic liquid)
Who the hell served you cooked or marinated steak tartare? The proper way is to serve it raw, and prepare it at the table by cracking an egg into it and mixing with onions, salt and pepper. What you've eaten is more of a ceviche, and less of a tartare (though ceviche is strictly a seafood presentation).

TipsyMcStagger

Sep 19, 2003
Its all demand. For example you used to be able to just go to a butcher shop and get Oxtail for practically free, now its like $6 per pound or more sometimes.

yoda291

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Ophir
I like steak tartare myself, which involves little to no heat at all but it's still cooked. (the meat protein is shredded chemically in acidic liquid)
Who the hell served you cooked or marinated steak tartare? The proper way is to serve it raw, and prepare it at the table by cracking an egg into it and mixing with onions, salt and pepper. What you've eaten is more of a ceviche, and less of a tartare (though ceviche is strictly a seafood presentation).

I've had it where there's been a definite sear to it. Granted, they might have screwed it up or it being something else, but tasty nonetheless.

Ophir

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2001

I've had it where there's been a definite sear to it. Granted, they might have screwed it up or it being something else, but tasty nonetheless.
Well, I just looked it up and there are variations that differ from the French preparation and include marinating and searing. Was it served ground or sliced thinly like carpaccio? True tartare should be ground or finely chopped.

yoda291

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001

Well, I just looked it up and there are variations that differ from the French preparation and include marinating and searing. Was it served ground or sliced thinly like carpaccio? True tartare should be ground or finely chopped.

twas sliced very thinly.

SinfulWeeper

Diamond Member
Sep 2, 2000
If a steak is cooked the same way as the ribs, I'll always take the steak. Dunno how the whole rib thing came into existence.

zach0624

Jul 13, 2007
In the argument between steaks and ribs it is really hard to decided which is better but in the long run it is easier to get good ribs than a good steak. As to prices my family by beef by the half cow cut and wrapped for $2.50 a pound in western Washington and is pretty lean and actually quite good(read as: could probably serve it at a nice resteruant). As far as prices go at resteraunts we don't eat beef out much here because of the madcow cows farmers here have gotten from canada. Also I perfere my steaks medium to medium well where it is still juicy but a light pink in the middle

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
try cooking each.
ribs are hard to cook right. and take much much longer as well. steak is retarded easy and quick to prepare, only the meat cost pushes that price up.

yup. big bbq chain here in houston is pappas bbq. the ribs all come from the same commissary. but there can be tremendous variation in the ribs because each pit master at each location will do it his/her own way.

they do a whole rack of baby back ribs with 2 sides for $15. awesome.

steak is pop it in the 600 degree oven for 3 minutes a side.

yup, cuts of meat are basically priced on how long they take to cook:) more connective tissue takes longer to cook until soft.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

<When I'm out at a restaurant, I place my order like this everytime for a steak--

I want your man card, and I want it now! What you posted is the ipitomy of a steak pussy! Lemme guess, you also order your burgers plain? What a fucking milque toast. You have no business ordering a steak, anywhere. Do you also wash your hands everytime you touch anything at all? My god, just oh, my god! :shocked:

Mommy, don't let them put any ketchup on my hotdog..OMG

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: compuwiz1

<<When I'm out at a restaurant, I place my order like this everytime for a steak--

I want your man card, and I want it now! What you posted is the ipitomy of a steak pussy! Lemme guess, you also order your burgers plain? What a fucking milque toast. You have no business ordering a steak, anywhere. Do you also wash your hands everytime you touch anything at all? My god, just oh, my god! :shocked:

They most likely *do things* to his steak when he sends it back to back. Maybe a little extra au jus.

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001

<<When I'm out at a restaurant, I place my order like this everytime for a steak--

My man card? Just because I like my steak well done? :laugh:
What a joke! Who's the one that hired you on as a mod?

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Syrch
Good question but i will say nothing beats a good stack of ribs or a perfectly done steak, i couldn't live without them

Stack of racks of ribs? :Q Big eater, eh?

Kaspian

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis
ribs are cheap as fuck. it's the 8 hours of smoking + labor involved thats expensive

It all depends where you go. Some places do use the traditional smoking process. However, alot of restaurants (even bbq places) use liquid smoke.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

<<<When I'm out at a restaurant, I place my order like this everytime for a steak--

My man card? Just because I like my steak well done? :laugh:
What a joke! Who's the one that hired you on as a mod?

The reason for the outrage against you is that it is a matter of science, and not personal preference or elitism, as to the proper preparation of a steak. yoda291 explained this earlier.
Slow cooked to well done causes both the juices to be cooked out and for the protein strands in the meat to curl around and bind to each other, resulting a dry, tough, and flavorless piece of meat.
You also made it obvious that your sentiments on the issue were caused by ignorance. The proper doneness for most steak cuts, medium rare, is not RAW in any way, but cooked to the perfectly safe temperature of ~140F.
The reason for cooking quickly over high heat is to properly sear the outside for flavor while still allowing for the maximum volume of proper medium rare doneness inside the steak.

Ribs (and cuts like brisket and shoulder) are cooked differently because those are already tough cuts and need an excessive long and slow cooking time in order to turn the collagen in the meat into gelatin and soften up the meat.

I will reiterate: people are not haranguing you because of elitism. Jokes about cooks sending your steak back with a little extra "au jus" are not elitism. This is science. Ask any trained chef. You go to a nice restaurant, order your steak well-done, and the chef in the back probably rolls his eyes, burns it to a charred crisp, and puts the A-1 on it for you.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
I never have understood why Ribs are as expensive as a decent Steak. I understand the cooking times of ribs to be much longer, but the way thier cooked, it's like a damn assembly line cranking out ribs.

I want to hear about prices of both of these in your area.
Ribs--- Half/rack $15.00/Double that for full $30.00
Steaks--- Tbone $15.00/20oz Porterhouse $25.00

Eat at home. Vons/Safeway has ribs for 97 cents a pound.

Only pay that kind of money when the company is picking up the tab. Get real.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Why is it so expensive....because like other dishes, if they serve you a piece of ass or a penis there's a chance you'll notice.