Why are people too *&&%&@# stupid/lazy/ill-concerned to put shopping carts where they belong in the parking lot?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs
Yeah that pisses me off. Some stores around here have these devices that "lock" the carts to each other... you have to put 50 cents in to get a cart, and it gives it back when you re-attach it to another cart. It's amazing that this is enough incentive to get people to put their cart back.

It works for the baggage carts at the airport. :beer::D

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I think the carts that require you to stick in a quarter to release a lock is a great idea. You get it back when you re-insert another cart's lock. One place we go to does that and all the carts are always stacked nicely where they belong.

BTW, my uncle who speaks little english is a cart retriever at a big supermarket around here... he makes $9/hr.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Same fvcking reason I'll park my car 20 spots away from the door and be done shopping before some fat, sorry assed piece of crap has found a spot no more than 5 from the door - as if the last thing in the world they need is to do a little extra walking.

Borracho

Banned
Mar 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Borracho
Originally posted by: Eli
Cuz the stores pay workerbees to retrieve them. :p

yup, I figure its probably a union job so I'll stay out of it and let them do it... don't want the mob to break my knee caps or anything

That's one way to justify your laziness. The stores would still need someone to take the cart from the cart corral to the front of the store though.

No need to justify my laziness, I will freely admit it. I am just a lazy person

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Eli
Cuz the stores pay workerbees to retrieve them. :p

yup, I figure its probably a union job so I'll stay out of it and let them do it... don't want the mob to break my knee caps or anything

That's one way to justify your laziness. The stores would still need someone to take the cart from the cart corral to the front of the store though.

No need to justify my laziness, I will freely admit it. I am just a lazy person

Nothing wrong with that, I am too. :) I usually draw the line when my laziness negatively impacts someone else though.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
I love when there is one in the spot you just entered, then you can floor it and it flies across into the spot in from of you :D

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
I hate it too. If I'm at a place that doesn't have the corrals and I'm too lazy to walk back to the store I lay the cart on it's side. Yeah it's weird, but it saves from dents and scratches.

blakeatwork

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Heh...

my wife loves putting the carts into the corrals... she just likes making big noises.... :p

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: blakeatwork
Heh...

my wife loves putting the carts into the corrals... she just likes making big noises.... :p
Me too - I ram the bitches in from as far away as possible, while still guaranteeing that it will enter the coral, and not rebound into somebody's car.

blakeatwork

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: blakeatwork
Heh...

Me too - I ram the bitches in from as far away as possible, while still guaranteeing that it will enter the coral, and not rebound into somebody's car.

Heh, she slams them harder then a Peter North movie....

the last time I tried to put the cart back, I almost got mugged... :D

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: DougK62
I hate it too. If I'm at a place that doesn't have the corrals and I'm too lazy to walk back to the store I lay the cart on it's side. Yeah it's weird, but it saves from dents and scratches.

Unless you don't see it and run over it