Why are PC games cheaper than console games?

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER
Forbes coverage of why Console games prices are up over last gen. they ahve a nice breakdown of the cost of bringing Gears to market if you click on the link too.

Looks like the only real difference is that console games have TV ads (computer games have the cheaper banner/popup ads), and each game has a licensing fee. Does MS charge a fee to make Windows software? I'm thinking that's probably a no.

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: pontifex
Forbes coverage of why Console games prices are up over last gen. they ahve a nice breakdown of the cost of bringing Gears to market if you click on the link too.

probably so you aren't as pissed when you find that the game runs like shit or needs 50 patches before you can play it properly

no, actually its to make up for the profit loss of selling the console under cost to lure idiots into buying one. learn your facts.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: ShawnD1

Looks like the only real difference is that console games have TV ads (computer games have the cheaper banner/popup ads), and each game has a licensing fee. Does MS charge a fee to make Windows software? I'm thinking that's probably a no.

I'm pretty sure thats phase 2 of "Games for Windows".

RZaakir

Sep 19, 2003
Phase 2? I doubt that the validation testing that they use for the program now happens for free.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: RZaakir
Phase 2? I doubt that the validation testing that they use for the program now happens for free.

out of curiosity, have there been any articles regarding the number of GFW subscribers? i'm curious considering only halo2 and shadowrun use it so far.

that, and online gaming has been around forever on the PC, so something like GFW really isn't necessary like it is for the xbox

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon

out of curiosity, have there been any articles regarding the number of GFW subscribers? i'm curious considering only halo2 and shadowrun use it so far.

that, and online gaming has been around forever on the PC, so something like GFW really isn't necessary like it is for the xbox
I'm not certain what you mean "only Halo 2 and ShadowRun use it" ? GFW catalog Starting to be a fair number of titles in the program, including Crysis, Alan Wake, and Hellgate:London.

*tongue in cheek* The PC versions are probably cheaper because they are usually just a 1/2 ass crappy port over from console anyways. :p

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon

I'm not certain what you mean "only Halo 2 and ShadowRun use it" ? GFW catalog Starting to be a fair number of titles in the program, including Crysis, Alan Wake, and Hellgate:London.

*tongue in cheek* The PC versions are probably cheaper because they are usually just a 1/2 ass crappy port over from console anyways. :p

I think he means that you have to use LIVE for halo 2 and shadowrun multiplayer. Personally I hope this whole idea of forcing people to use LIVE on their computer is retarded and I hope it dies. Event hough I have a gold LIVE account, I absolutely never want to be forced to use it for my PC just to play a game online. Luckily it seems so far that mostly MGS games are using it, and I hope it never gains support. Even though I use LIVE I never saw the big deal with it, its really nothing special, and it seems like I'm paying for something that I always got for free(hosting games with my connection?).

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: VashHT

I think he means that you have to use LIVE for halo 2 and shadowrun multiplayer. Personally I hope this whole idea of forcing people to use LIVE on their computer is retarded and I hope it dies. Event hough I have a gold LIVE account, I absolutely never want to be forced to use it for my PC just to play a game online. Luckily it seems so far that mostly MGS games are using it, and I hope it never gains support. Even though I use LIVE I never saw the big deal with it, its really nothing special, and it seems like I'm paying for something that I always got for free(hosting games with my connection?).
Thanks for the explanation, and agreed about Live.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: VashHT

Thanks for the explanation, and agreed about Live.

yeah i meant LIVE. sorry i wasn't clear :eek:

Stas

Dec 31, 2004
I think piracy might have something to do with it. You can only make decent money on PC games if they are really worth it. I mean, console kids will get their mommy to buy any horribly designed/poor gameplay game (they even play FPS with a gamepad O.O). Most people playing on consoles are complete noobs in tech world. They prolly don't know about existence of p2p. PC players on the other hand, quite often would download the game before they buy it (at least my friends do). So producers will sell games for less to get people to buy them. For ex.: after I tried NFS: MW, i figured - this isn't a great game. Fun, but I won't pay $50 for it. Then I see it at the store for $20... and I get it. On the other hand, I got HL2 right away for $52... But I knew it would be good without trying it out first. Painkiller, Quake 4, Doom 3, PoP, and many other games were downloaded first by me and then purchased. Games like BF2, BF2142, RE4, and some others were also downloaded - I tried them, cussed a bit, uninstalled, and never bought them :)

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
I also think it has something to do with piracy
There are very few games that aren't available for download via some form of P2P. If they priced PC games too high, everyone would download them, you don't need firmware mods, mod chips, etc to pirate a PC game. So basically anyone with a computer that is capable of running the game can pirate it.

Its a fine balance of trying to maximize profits while not losing your customers to piracy.

That's how I'd think it works anyways.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Jag is correct they rack up the price to cover the loss of the console units. Piracy might play a part too but a small one if it does. I'm just glad they are cheaper than console games. I dislike consoles and their controllers but thats just me.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
probably so you aren't as pissed when you find that the game runs like shit or needs 50 patches before you can play it properly
Have you checked the console scene lately?

The 360 already has a patch for Bioshock while I played from start to finish without a single issue (apart from nVidia driver issues but that's not the game's fault).

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: BFG10K

The 360 already has a patch for Bioshock while I played from start to finish without a single issue (apart from nVidia driver issues but that's not the game's fault).

Is it a patch to the game or a patch to the console to fix the way it handles the game?

Matt2

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2001
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
Originally posted by: BFG10K

Is it a patch to the game or a patch to the console to fix the way it handles the game?

It's a game patch.

I personally love Live and my 360. FPS games arent so bad with the controller if you've had a little practice.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Matt2
I personally love Live and my 360. FPS games arent so bad with the controller if you've had a little practice.

I still prefer a keyboard / mouse over some console controller with autoaim. I will pick up a 360 when Microsoft provides keyboard / mouse support with software to emulate the controller so I can play all of the games with the keyboard / mouse. A DVI port would be nice as well, but not as critical as a mouse / keyboard.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: pontifex

ROFL, awesome :thumbsup:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Well, the MAIN reason (as has already been pointed out) is they actually lose money on the console itself. They need to make it back with the extra 10 bucks on the game.
If they sold the console for the standard cost of manufacturing plus 20 percent markup, nobody would buy it. Too expensive.

The whole image of the console market is that its supposed to be better and faster than a computer and much cheaper. Problem is: Its not.
So they had to come up with a very unusual business model where they sell the main product for less than cost, and make it all back with the peripheral products (the games and controllers and cables).

I'm too ticked about the piracy issue to discuss that right now. When I calm down I may comment on it.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Well, the MAIN reason (as has already been pointed out) is they actually lose money on the console itself. They need to make it back with the extra 10 bucks on the game.
If they sold the console for the standard cost of manufacturing plus 20 percent markup, nobody would buy it. Too expensive.

The whole image of the console market is that its supposed to be better and faster than a computer and much cheaper. Problem is: Its not.
So they had to come up with a various unusual business model where they sell the main product for less than cost, and make it all back with the peripheral products (the games and controllers and cables).

I'm too ticked about the piracy issue to discuss that right now. When I calm down I may comment on it.

yeah, part of the reason is to make back what was lost on the console.

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
I still prefer a keyboard / mouse over some console controller with autoaim. I will pick up a 360 when Microsoft provides keyboard / mouse support with software to emulate the controller so I can play all of the games with the keyboard / mouse. A DVI port would be nice as well, but not as critical as a mouse / keyboard.

That's treading a little too close to the idea of PC/console convergence. The barrier between the 2 is made up largely of contrivances (and becomes moreso over time), but there's a necessity to it. If the barrier were removed and everyone owned a machine built to a universal spec that did everything without many hitches, there'd be less innovation. There would also be less profit made via retail sales of both hardware and OS software.

That's probably not what you were getting at, but this is something that's been in my mind the last few weeks - how the complexity and unpredictability of the PC has driven developers towards consoles, but at the same time, continues to enrich the technology pool. It's a double edged sword. I think we'll have that artificial barrier in place for some time to come, but maybe the consoles will get better controllers. The Wii actually seems to be a step in the right direction with the use of motion sensors, accelerometers and such.