why are my temps so high?

hawtdawg

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2005
Just got a new rig from ibuypower with an i7 930 cooled by a Cooler Master v8.

Everything I've read says the Cooler Master is a good cooler, but under load @4ghz im getting temps close to 90c. vcore is only at 1.235.

wtf is going on? What I've read says my temps should be closer to 70c or so.

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
cuz you're hawt, dawg............

Anyways sounds like they used some cheap thermal paste or didn't install it properly.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
remove the cooler, spread some good quality thermal paste and make sure you attach it properly so that it makes good contact.

Good luck and let us know the result :)

hawtdawg

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2005
cuz you're hawt, dawg............

Anyways sounds like they used some cheap thermal paste or didn't install it properly.

i'll try reseating it in the morning. Is AS5 still considered decent thermal paste? I have some laying around somewhere.

I guess i figured Ibuypower would know what they were doing as far as that goes, especially since they offer to overclock it themselves for a small fee.

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
wtf is going on? What I've read says my temps should be closer to 70c or so.
The V8 really isn't that good of a cooler:
Hardware Canucks Review of the CM V8
Getting beaten by a Hyper 212+ at Frosty Tech

I think your temps @4GHz is normal for a V8, and remounting might, at best, give you only a few degrees off. You just need a better cooler, probably. Not to mention mounting the V8 is a big pain (basically, you have to mount the CPU and mobo to it, not the other way around), so for so little to gain, it might not be worth your time and effort.

hawtdawg

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2005
The V8 really isn't that good of a cooler:
Hardware Canucks Review of the CM V8
Getting beaten by a Hyper 212+ at Frosty Tech

I think your temps @4GHz is normal for a V8, and remounting might, at best, give you only a few degrees off. You just need a better cooler, probably. Not to mention mounting the V8 is a big pain (basically, you have to mount the CPU and mobo to it, not the other way around), so for so little to gain, it might not be worth your time and effort.

I know it's not the world's greatest cooler or anything, but it's not like im running a 1.35 vcore or something. I would think I would be hitting 80C max.

oh and my ambient temp is 74

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Sure, remount it then, I was just trying to tell you not to expect too much from a V8, as it's full of fail. More expensive, harder to install, but not better performance than a Hyper 212+, and I doubt it can really support a 4Ghz i7, and definitely nowhere near as efficient as the H50 that was used by the guy in your link.

Elganja

Platinum Member
May 21, 2007
I know it's not the world's greatest cooler or anything, but it's not like im running a 1.35 vcore or something. I would think I would be hitting 80C max.

oh and my ambient temp is 74

so 23C room temps... how about your case ambient temps?