Why are mp3 ripping links consided ok with the mod, but not warez or crackz links

DABANSHEE

Banned
Dec 8, 1999
Seeing as when one downloads a copyrighted song they are breaking copyright just as much as if they downloaded some copyrighted software.

Is it because of the link between Anandtech & Fuse Talk?Which in a sense makes Anandtech a software developer.

Or is it because mp3 filez are more widely accepted in the IT community, compared with warez & crackz?

Maybe IT industry types subconsciously consider warez/crackz un-palatable because its fellow IT industry types who are getting 'ripped off', where as they don't give a fuk if the music industry gets 'ripped off'.

DABANSHEE

Banned
Dec 8, 1999
actually I spelts files with a 'Z' ("mp3 filez") which implied ripped/downloaded copyright stuff, the same as 'Z' in crackz & warez.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Good point. I've often wondered about the lack of consistency, and I suspect it has to do with the point you mention -- that warez affects fellow IT people while music just hurts the record companies (keep telling yourselves that, idiots!).

It could also be that most warez links are dead within 6 hours. ;) If you want warez and cracks, just go to Usenet. Not that I download anything from there. Nope.

Besides, if they started locking MP3 links, then the mods wouldn't be able to find music. Ha ha ha!! j/k, fellas!

Gorgonzola

Golden Member
Nov 22, 1999
the thought of starting a thread like this popped into my mind about 2 days ago, but i must have forgotten about it.

i dont think it really matters if it is inconsistant. the forum mods can chose to run the board how they want. if they feel mp3s are ok, and warez are not, its up to them. there are plenty of other boards for chatting warez. so im not going to complain either way. same as i wouldn't complain if they all of a sudden decided that no one could post links to mp3s.

rc5

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
yeah, but many are ripping their own software CDs and use them later. :)

ArkAoss

Banned
Aug 31, 2000
hey i've had copies of games, that i bought go bad, so now whenever i know i'll be using a game alot, ieither make iso backups of them, or I make duppy's and use that. i've lost too many actual originals of stuff to risk it. .