Why are Hawaiians overweight?

andrewWynn

Feb 15, 2007
Why are Hawaiians overweight? It was observed by a friend who took a cruise between the different islands? She noticed the 'native-looking' people being overweight.

Is there a diet issue? We're looking for a scientific answer. Please don't flame me for picking on Hawaiians. I saw "Fast Food Nation" on MSNBC over the weekend. Not sure we it's the same issue.

Vonkhan

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
if i were a native of a beautiful sunny island, i'd be happy n fat too

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Originally posted by: andrewWynn
Why are Hawaiians overweight? It was observed by a friend who took a cruise between the different islands? She noticed the 'native-looking' people being overweight.

Is there a diet issue? We're looking for a scientific answer. Please don't flame me for picking on Hawaiians. I saw "Fast Food Nation" on MSNBC over the weekend. Not sure we it's the same issue.

For the same reason most native Americans, Innuit and, just plain old Americans are over weight, too many refined sugars and complex carbs in our diets.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
They're not overweight. They're just big-boned.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
The same reason any American, poor, uneducated social group is overweight. Easy access to inexpensive high calorie foods and strong marketing presence.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
We're talking about a culture which consumes more canned SPAM then any other in the world.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Some of the samoans are just big boned and big bodies people. Take for example, Mark Hunt. He is like a 6'2" 300 lb kickboxer. I'm fairly certain his cardio is better than 95% of the people on this board, yet he looks very out of shape. Genetics has a lot to do with it. Plus some people just eat too much.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Jules: You remember Antoine Roccamora, half black, half Samoan, used to call him Tony Rocky Horror?
Vincent: Yeah, maybe. Fat, right?
Jules: I wouldn't go so far as to call the brother fat, I mean he got a weight problem. What's the n**** gonna do? He's Samoan.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: TheNinja
Some of the samoans are just big boned and big bodies people. Take for example, Mark Hunt. He is like a 6'2" 300 lb kickboxer. I'm fairly certain his cardio is better than 95% of the people on this board, yet he looks very out of shape. Genetics has a lot to do with it. Plus some people just eat too much.

Big boned Hawaiians.. yes. Having been to Hawaii several times I can vouch that many of the locals are suffering from big stomach bone and a big ass bone.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Jules: You remember Antoine Roccamora, half black, half Samoan, used to call him Tony Rocky Horror?
Vincent: Yeah, maybe. Fat, right?
Jules: I wouldn't go so far as to call the brother fat, I mean he got a weight problem. What's the n**** gonna do? He's Samoan.

LOL, that line was playing in my head when I opened this thread. :D

kinev

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2005
Originally posted by: TheNinja

Anyone who can come that close to beating Fedor has got to be in at least decent shape. (Not that he was THAT close, just closer than most)

Kanalua

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
Because your perception is racist...

As well as the lifestyle you have imposed on my people...

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Kanalua
Because your perception is racist...

As well as the lifestyle you have imposed on my people...

Calm down fatty. :p

TravisT

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2002
Originally posted by: djheater
The same reason any American, poor, uneducated social group is overweight. Easy access to inexpensive high calorie foods and strong marketing presence.

You don't have to be uneducated or poor to like McDonalds or Taco Bell. In fact, most anything that tastes good, is probably bad for you.