Why Arabs Lose Wars

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: HappyGamer2
they have had plenty of experince at war in the last 50 years, but it just doesn't help

50 years of losing doesn't help at all! :p

HappyGamer2

Banned
Jun 12, 2000
actually:
there is a little bit more to it than that, there mind set and culture just doesn't work right in the modern WORLD

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Note to HappyGamer2: Instead of making post after post, it would be helpful if you simply went back to edit your original post to reflect any corrections.

Originally posted by: sandorski
I'm not sure what the point of this discussion is. Yes, much of the Middle East lacks leading edge weaponry and yes their societies haven't developed enough to use what weaponry they have very effectively. The same can be said of most Third World nations. It takes experience and time to develop the tactics that are common amongst Western Nations, Western Nations have had a lot of both.

sandorski: The question is that given the level of natural resources and wealth possessed by the Arab world, why are these countries in many respects Third World nations? Why isn't the Arab culture in the forefront of science, technology, the arts, and quality of life? The Arab world has had as much time as the West, so what are the limiting factors? There was a time when the Islamic world was the pinnacle of civilization on the planet, but that time is long past. Why? The links I have posted in this thread go a long way towards answering those questions.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
actually:
there is a little bit more to it than that, there mind set and culture just doesn't work right in the modern <STRONG>WORLD</STRONG>

who are you and what did you do in the ME? Come on, come clean.

RossGr

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Tabb
they have had plenty of experince at war in the last 50 years, but it just doesn't help

50 years of losing doesn't help at all! :p

Not true. If you look at history, the English and other Euoroean nations lost to Napoleon for 10yrs. But theywere able to learn from their experiances and finally defeated him by beating him at his own game. The Iraqis thought they had learned from the gulf war and other events (ie Black Hawk Down) unfortunatel they failed to realize that the US also learned from those experiances. Seems the US was better able to but its lessons to use.

Was a time when the Arab world was cradle of knowledge, unfortnuately it seems that they have not advanced since. Perhaps held back by their religion, just as the Dark ages Euorpe was.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
take a guess, if you look at some of my posts in other threads, they will give lots hints

I can't read every thread.

steell

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2001
Based on my experiences as a military person, working with Saudi Arabian, Egyptian, and even Iranian military units, I have to say that the article is correct. It was really frustrating trying to get anything done, at all.

I am going to do something that I probably shouldn't :D

Quoting myself:

"The Saudi government went nuts when they got the hotel bill!! They thought American soldiers would eat hamburgers, not caviar, lobster, shrimp, and filet mignon!!"

If anyone recognizes the quote, pm me :D

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: steell
Based on my experiences as a military person, working with Saudi Arabian, Egyptian, and even Iranian military units, I have to say that the article is correct. It was really frustrating trying to get anything done, at all.

Quoting myself:

"The Saudi government went nuts when they got the hotel bill!! They thought American soldiers would eat hamburgers, not caviar, lobster, shrimp, and filet mignon!!"

Google didnt come back with anything

CaptainGoodnight

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Dr Smooth
Originally posted by: Jimbo
I thought this to be a very telling read.

Abstract: The author argues that the reasons for Arab armies? perpetual ineffectiveness are rooted in Arab culture. Social factors that prohibit success include: secrecy and paranoia, pride, class structure, a lack of coordination on all levels, and little individual freedom or initiative.

Middle East Review of International Affairs

About The Author:
Norvell De Atkine is a retired U.S. army colonel. He currently instructs U.S. army personnel assigned to Middle Eastern areas.

Afghanistan took care of the USSR.

Is it possible that in their wars with Israeli they were fighting an US backed country?

Afghis are not arabs.

steell

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Mookow

Quoting myself:

I certainly hope not! :D

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Mookow

Quoting myself:

I certainly hope not! :D

Well then, PM me the answer

Pastfinder

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2000
I feel another factor has to be the training and military advisors that the Soviet Union sent to many of the Arab countries to help out their military and train them in the use of Soviet equipment.

Since NATO and the US studied Soviet tactics and weaponry then developed countermeasures to them, we have an edge in anticipating the enemy's move. An example is air combat, Arab nations might have larger air forces, but they don't know jack about how to use them and their training programs stink...