Why am I getting screen tearing on a G sync 4K display?

rondocap

Nov 6, 2017
So I have an Asus Strix 1080 ti, with an Acer Predator 4k 27 inch display.

In many games like GTA V, Destiny 2, I am getting screen tearing. FPS staying in that 60 range, but sometime dips or goes higher. V sync off, but even on seemed to do it.

Is there some setting I need to adjust? G sync is on, connected by DP cable and on in Nvidia settings.

Didnt have this issue on an X34 monitor.

Guru

May 5, 2017
The technology is not there yet. Give it 10 years when we are all gaming on 240hz+ monitors and there would be virtually no screen tearing.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
That shouldn't be happening. Verify the monitor is actually running over 60Hz by using the OSD when you play the games. If you're running the games borderless or in a window, it might not be.

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
If you exceeded the refresh of the display (60Hz) by running at 64fps, you have to choose between V-Sync or tearing. G-Sync and FreeSync only do their jobs when your framerates go below the maximum refresh rate of the display.

Reactions: Ken g6 and tviceman

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Enable Vsync in these games! I have a 4k60 Gsync display and get tearing on many games if my fps is not capped at 60 and vsync is off.

Make sure Gsync is also enabled for Borderless and Windowed mode as well.

You shouldn't get tearing with these settings.

Reactions: nathanddrews

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
This is why 60Hz screens are horrible gaming monitors. 144+ hz and you’re hard pressed to see tearing even without adaptive or even standard vsync.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If you exceeded the refresh of the display (60Hz) by running at 64fps
Interesting that you should mention those two FPS numbers. I was re-installing a PC recently, and it somehow defaulted to 64Hz, on my 4K UHD TV, with no option to go lower. (This was verified by going to Advanced Display Options, Monitor Properties.)

Thankfully, when Win10 found the proper driver, everything became normal again.

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
Interesting that you should mention those two FPS numbers. I was re-installing a PC recently, and it somehow defaulted to 64Hz, on my 4K UHD TV, with no option to go lower. (This was verified by going to Advanced Display Options, Monitor Properties.)
Thankfully, when Win10 found the proper driver, everything became normal again.

This has been a Windows "feature" since the introduction of WDDM, I think. I don't know exactly why or how, but the 64Hz issue has appeared for me several times over the past decade. Like you said, getting the correct driver solves the issue. I dunno, man, it's weird!