Who's willing to go over 1.65 VDIMM on their Core i7 system?

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
According to this thread it's possible to increase the VDIMM memory beyond 1.65V as long as it's within 1.5 times that of VTT. I don't want to try out the theory just yet. I'm going to wait until there are substantial reports that this is true.

dmens

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2005
its not that the IMC will immediately fry if you send too much voltage, it'll just degrade a lot faster.

that 1.5x Vtt sounds like BS to me since the two voltages aren't related.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Two months is nowhere near long enough to be able to tell if you're doing longterm damage. My guess is that Intel most likely knows what they're talking about. Having the memory controller on-die changes things. The same thing applied to AMD's chips, when they were using DDR1, and people were burning out their memory controllers with high vDimm.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Sorry to revive my old thead. It seem the general rule is to have VTT and VDIMM within .5V of each other. I'm going to bite the bullet later today and try for 1.8V VDIMM with 1.4V VTT and see what that gets me. Wish me luck!

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I went to 1.7 with my Corsair C9's, didn't net me anything, isn't stable above 200 BLCK, it's probably a mobo issue more than anything else.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If it runs fine doing this then I don't think it's all that "Xtreme".

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1
Why would ya go beyond Intels specs. for O/C. Get your 24/7 O/C and leave it.

:roll:

By definition overclocking, even 1MHz above stock, is going "beyond Intels specs."

But yeah, my point was that going above the recommended safety limits is kinda crazy and more like something I'd expect to read about over at XS forums than here at AT.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Ya any over clock is out of spec unless intel does it. Turbo . I think intel has changed its stance on O/Cing. But raising voltage higher than Intels high limit isn't smart at all. Now after Nehalem has been out longer well get a better feel for what the true limits are. But I personnally I stay within Intels guidelines. If I melt a cpu . I don't try to RMA it either. Just not my way.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Denithor
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1
Why would ya go beyond Intels specs. for O/C. Get your 24/7 O/C and leave it.

:roll:

By definition overclocking, even 1MHz above stock, is going "beyond Intels specs."

But yeah, my point was that going above the recommended safety limits is kinda crazy and more like something I'd expect to read about over at XS forums than here at AT.

Right, the recommended safty limit. There has been more proof that by keeping VTT and VDIMM to within .5V of each other it can be considered safe. Anand said they would investigate this and write something up. I wonder what is taking them so long.