Who's video card screams the loudest?

brewerbob

Dec 31, 2000
I'm putting together a 1.2G AMD 266FSB system . I've a few postings about the Radeon and the geForce. I not into overclocking (yet!). So keep it simple for me.

1) For gaming what's the BEST card out there?
2) What's the best for about $300?

Thanx in advance.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Well, the GF2u is clearly the fastest, Radeon is probably best all around, Voodoo5 is best for glide based games, and has sweet FSAA....there is no clear answer here. I'd say wait for the next generation, but if you MUST have the fastest NOW, get the ultra.

lsd

Golden Member
Sep 26, 2000
For >$300 you can get a Geforce 2 pro, it's the second fastest videocard around. If you want a little more speed you can o/c it (when you're ready) for gf2 ultra speeds.

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
Best for about 300? I'd say a Geforce 2 GTS with 64 meg DDR, or a Radeon 64 Meg DDR.
If you look around You can find them both for 300 i'm sure.

If you have a W2K system, I suggest you check out the GF2GTS, ATI (Radeons Manufactor), has had HORRIBLE DRIVER support in the past, and the Radeon drivers out now, supposedly Suck on Windows 2000.

nVidia (GF2GTS manufactor), has always had good driver support, for almost all Operating systems out there.

But ATI's drivers seem to work EXCELLENT in Windows 98.

So, it really all depends on what OS you use and are planning to use in the future.

W2K/Other=Geforce 2 GTS DDR
W98=Radeon 64meg DDR

Comp10

May 23, 2000
If you want pure speed and lesser 2D quality, then a Geforce 2 Pro is your best bet. If you want a little less speed along with excellent 2D quality as well as a little better 3D quality, then go with a 64mb DDR Radeon.

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Elsa's GF GTS/Pro/Ultra boards supposedly have very good 2D, near, or on par with the Radeons.
So if you go GF, go with an Elsa, there is another brand that actually makes these cards for Elsa, but sells them under their own brand as well, dont remember the name though.

DallasTejas

Dec 11, 2000
I bought a Voodoo5 5500 2 days before the nVidia buyout for only $200. Got scared about future support, so I returned it and bought a Radeon 64Meg DDR for $100 more. I feel very happy with the move. The FSAA on the V5 was nice but overall, the Radeon performs better and has hardware DVD assist to boot. I don't have an opinion on any of the GEForce cards. I've always liked Voodoo (have had 4 different models)and really hated to see them go. Being a avid 3dfx'er, I have a predudice against nVidia (I feel that framerate isn't everything).

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I don't see why everyone got scared when 3dfx got bought. What's the big deal? The card is still the same. The current drivers are excellent. So what's the big deal? With the features in the new drivers(depth precision, refresh optimization, geometry assist), the V5 performs almost as fast as the GTS and Radeon, and it has other features that make it, in my opinion, a better buy....UT runs best on a V5, FSAA on CS is amazing, FSAA is amazing in any sim....Radeon is also a great buy, I'll give you that, but I if you originally decided on a V5, why change just because they closed?

Draven

Jan 15, 2000
The reason I changed to a Radeon from a V5 is because after February, no more tech support on the V5. I know the current drivers are stable and perform well, but this is something I want to keep for a couple years before upgrading. I know that isn't what everyone does, but I felt more comfortable with the options and features of the Radeon and the longetivity of the support.

That is, of course, until ATI goes out of business, then I am SOL :D

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
If you intend on keeping the card for a long period of time, then I agree with purchasing a Radeon. It has more features that the other cards don't, along with a third texture unit. However, that third texture unit may go to waste, because DX8 is based around 4 textures. I remember Carmack saying something good about the Radeon having it, though...maybe we will see it put to use in Doom 3?

acroig

Oct 4, 2000
I'll go with the pack and say if you can find a GeForce2 Pro for around $300 then that's the card you'd want. The memory clock is standard at 400MHz and overclocking will take it farther. Utra like performance for way less cash. If you can wait until the NV20 comes out (1 to 2 months) the price will be cheaper.