Who's preordering X-COM?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Strangely enough, after 3 months i've only shot down 2 ufos... and raided one that was landed. Thought that was odd, as in the OG chasing UFOs was a huge part of the game.

The real problem with this is I don't have nearly enough alloys. :x

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Playing the default difficulty, still got my ass handed to me in several missions. Sniping fsking thinman critted and killed one of my forward assault guys wearing carapace armor + microfiber vest, my heavy panicked and shot my medic, which caused my other medic to panic and run out into the open to get sniped by some sectoids.

sniper was cool as a cucumber off in the distance, too bad he can't hit jack shit. Yeah needless to say I reloaded.

okay, I'm getting really close to pulling the trigger on this game. That sounds hilarious and awesome at the same time.

Chaptorial

Feb 7, 2010
Finished up the lengthy tutorial and while I'm glad I did it for a first play through, I'm going to restart fresh without it. Had a blast during the handful of missions I played. Awesome game and well worth the wait.

Also just an FYI it appears the cut-scenes are being played in 720p despite the fact that they can, and should be, playing in 1080p. Here's a link to the quick fix from PC Gamer.

Clinkster

Aug 5, 2009
okay, I'm getting really close to pulling the trigger on this game. That sounds hilarious and awesome at the same time.

It's the best game I've played in a long while, and I haven't gotten to the multiplayer...

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008

Do it. This is a "once-in-a-generation" kind of game that could have a significant impact on the gaming landscape if it succeeds. This marks the first time in years (decades?) that a top-down, turn-based strategy game - a genre considered useless by many - has been made with an AAA budget by a major developer, and released not just to a niche PC audience, but to 360 and PS3 players as well. It's actually a really big deal when you think about it.

The PA report put up a good article on this subect, if you need more convincing: http://penny-arcade.com/report/edit...-genre-and-there-is-more-riding-on-its-succes

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Finished up the lengthy tutorial and while I'm glad I did it for a first play through, I'm going to restart fresh without it. Had a blast during the handful of missions I played. Awesome game and well worth the wait.

Also just an FYI it appears the cut-scenes are being played in 720p despite the fact that they can, and should be, playing in 1080p. Here's a link to the quick fix from PC Gamer.

So it changes the videos to 1080p and we save 4GB of space? Count me in! :)

Feb 25, 2011
So it changes the videos to 1080p and we save 4GB of space? Count me in! :)

That's weird. Why wouldn't they just include 1080p files and trust people with crappy low res monitors not to notice the scaling?

Anyway; spent four hours playing today on normal difficulty. Got through a couple months worth of missions and stuff, only lost two soldiers. I'll have to try the harder difficulty levels next run through.

I appreciate the "objectives" handholding for tech tree reasons. I just hope that if we have a game-breaking equivalent of, say, the Tasoth Commander research bug, that the developers will actually fix it.

I declare this a worthy successor to the original.

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
Finally started playing this last night. Very awesome so far, though I missed out on the originals. (Not sure why, I was a PC gamer at the time and they certainly seem like the type of game I would have liked.) Controls are a bit disappointing/consolized, but I've seen worse. Haven't had any of the "flickering" issues or anything.

It's great to see a full hardcore turn based strategy game get such a big push though. (Well, this is mostly "tactics" over "strategy" if you want to get picky, but you know what I mean.)

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
I can't make it through the tutorial :( I keep getting my ass kicked on the fourth mission (capture an alien). Granted I'm playing on 'classic' and 'hardcore' but still. . .

It seems like four men is not enough. It's way too easy to get spread out when you try to flank.

Ganeedi

Jul 7, 2008
Do it. This is a "once-in-a-generation" kind of game that could have a significant impact on the gaming landscape if it succeeds. This marks the first time in years (decades?) that a top-down, turn-based strategy game - a genre considered useless by many - has been made with an AAA budget by a major developer, and released not just to a niche PC audience, but to 360 and PS3 players as well. It's actually a really big deal when you think about it.

The PA report put up a good article on this subect, if you need more convincing: http://penny-arcade.com/report/edit...-genre-and-there-is-more-riding-on-its-succes

Thanks for the article link. Very interesting, especially the part about 2K games "trolling" xcom fans. It makes perfect sense, now...

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I decided to take a leap of faith and buy the game on tuesday. Not only did it cost me $50, but since I stayed up way to damn late, it also costs me a sick day.

2K finally made a worthy remake of the original XCOM.

I was very skeptical at first after playing the short demo. However, after a few missions in the real game, I was easily hooked. Just like the original, this game wont baby you. It also gives me a great taste of nastolgia. Like seeing those chrysalids on my first terror mission as I hope my guys on overwatch make thier shots before one of my guys gets zombiefied.

I sure hope this is successful enough that they remake TFTD. That would certainly make my day. I also hope that the game is moddable, or they release a mod toolkit, so that the game can just get better and better over time. This is the first time in a long time that I spent $50 on a game and didn't regret it.

I did notice a few bugs that 2k needs to fix:
1. If you send more than one interceptor at a UFO, and the first one succeeds at shooting it down, the second interceptor flies off to the northpole and your game gets stuck looking at the geoscape without being able to exit. I learned this the hard way after already completing the tactical battle. The original would allow you to attack the same ufo simultaniously with multiple interceptors (necessary for bigger ships earlier in the game), I wish they would patch support in for this.

2. Once you go over 100 saved games (I save alot, dont judge me), your new saves wont show up correctly, or even at all in the load game menu. I had to go delete all my saved games (via windows, not the ingame delete, that would take forever), and make a new save to fix this. Also the load/save game display only refreshes after you delete a game via the game menu.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Started my game over last night (mainly because I got caught in a downward money spiral with nations leaving left and right...) and here's a funny bug if you skip tutorial.

On your first mission, make sure EVERYBODY ranks up. The game gives you one of each class to start off as they rank up, and I had one guy who didn't rank up on the first mission while all the others got injured. So on the next mission I had to bring along 3 other rookies + 1 vet, and they all leveled up at the same time..... and I got THREE snipers.

Bug or a really strange coincidence... not sure.

But hey, just got plasma rifle! (not the light one) Pew pew from high ground with skeletal suit is awesome, takes down mutons in 1 shot sometimes.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
The mouse lag/float still gets on my nerves. I've tried all the tweaks I can find, but it doesn't feel right.

I've switched to the 360 gamepad for now.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010

I wasn't that interested, but I'm surprised that the more I hear the more I want this game! I does sound pretty good. I only played the original on a PS one..
But I remember that I have no time to play so paying $50 for it is out of the question. Hopefully a thanksgiving sale

I think I have average of 3 hr/week on steam now, so would take me months to get anywhere. Heard it's a long game! And I still haven't put enough time into crusader kings 2 (just 22 hrs) which is the last game I bought. Time for some self control

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I'd say it's one of those games that is really dangerous because I couldn't put it down. It's been a while since a game (non-mmorpg) made me stay up hours past my regular time and this is one of them. It has a civ-effect... just gotta get that research done, just gotta build that one thing, let me hit the end of the month, let me just finish this mission... etc.

PS: IRON WILL DOES NOT WORK RETROACTIVELY. Get it asap or your soldiers will have low will. This is sort of annoying as iron will is one of those high level training things and affects your psi-ops...

Phobic9

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2001
I went ahead and purchased the game. So far, it's really starting to kick my ass on Normal Ironman. I really start to fear for my squad getting killed and usually after each move I have an "Oh crap" moment yet I keep coming back for more. Well worth the purchase for me.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I can't make it through the tutorial :( I keep getting my ass kicked on the fourth mission (capture an alien). Granted I'm playing on 'classic' and 'hardcore' but still. . .

It seems like four men is not enough. It's way too easy to get spread out when you try to flank.

I agree on wanting a larger scale battle, but it shouldn't be too easy to flank either. Flanking is an opportunity that comes up not something you're going to always rush out and do.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Haven't had any of the "flickering" issues or anything.

On the Chinese bridge mission, there's an overhang with a ladder in the middle of it to the low ground. Cursor over it made the whole overhang flicker like mad. What's worse is even though the cursor stayed consistently on the high ground, ordering a move there made my guy run to the low ground spot where there was no cover >.< I've witnessed a bunch of other annoying camera/transparency issues that weren't outright bugs, but could have been polished better.

Feb 25, 2011
I agree on wanting a larger scale battle, but it shouldn't be too easy to flank either. Flanking is an opportunity that comes up not something you're going to always rush out and do.

Yeah. Just move cover to cover, find full cover if you can, and throw lots and lots of explosives.

The "run & gun" ability is really useful for capturing. If I can (injuries) I bring two assaults, a heavy and a sniper on each mission.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
I don't get any mouse lag. Try turning of vsync, framerate smoothing and turn up the mouse scroll speed.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
They released a patch today. Quoted from steam news page.

&#8226; Various visibility/hiding optimizations
&#8226; Multiplayer text chat support (J to activate)
&#8226; Mouse 4/5 will switch soldiers in the Barracks
&#8226; ESC hides the movement grid if you do not want to commit to a move while it is activated
&#8226; Squad Sight ability optimization
&#8226; Fixed issue when equipping two grenades with Deep Pockets.
&#8226; Fixed Rapid Fire sometimes consuming too much ammo.
&#8226; SHIVs that are damaged will no longer become unusable.
&#8226; Fixed some hangs/soft crashes in tactical combat.
&#8226; Replaced software cursor with the operating system cursor to reduce lag and framerate dependence.
&#8226; Fixed rendering bug which causes some soldier&#8217;s hair to appear as if it is rendering on top of environment fog.
&#8226; 1080p movies are now used at all times on the PC.