Who's losing their job?

Discussion in 'Politics and News' started by boomerang, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Bill Wiltrack

Bill Wiltrack Member

[​IMG]

Blowing a tranny?

I think I've had enough of the internet for today...

2. boomerang

boomerang Lifer

Looks like more of the same here for the next four! Status quo baby! This room has always been easy.

3. Doc Savage Fan

I heard Romney sold all his stocks! :eek:

4. boomerang

boomerang Lifer

That you PAB?

5. Mandres

Mandres Senior member

So who can tell me how Obamacare leads to layoffs? I'm not trying to be coy, I really don't understand.

I thought that individuals have to buy insurance or pay a penalty the IRS?

6. Doc Savage Fan

There is an employer mandate that takes effect in 2014 which applies to all firms with 50 or more employees. If an employer fails to provide "qualifying health insurance", they will have to pay an tax fine for each employee. The tax is $2000 per employee and $3000 if an employee receives coverage through an exchange. If the employer has a waiting period to get into the plan, there is an additional tax of $400-$600.

Interestingly, all these penalties can be waived if you're friends with Nancy Pelosi.

7. mshan

mshan Diamond Member

Of course a trend that appears to have started a few decades ago couldn't be part of the real reasons for these changes:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/part-time-life-hours-shrink-142806402.html?page=2

#32 mshan, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  8. MooseNSquirrel

MooseNSquirrel Golden Member

If you are going to post these kinds of biased crap articles at least have the decency to share some peer reviewed papers that actually have data proving your premise.

But of course no such papers exist, which is why unproven rhetoric is the last resort of the deluded.

9. MooseNSquirrel

Gosh, this must be the first time the Federal Government has done something like this right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consolidated_Omnibus_Budget_Reconciliation_Act_of_1985

10. werepossum

werepossum Lifer

Obamacare mandates better insurance than many employers can afford to provide and also certain freebies, so their only practical choice is to lay off. Honestly, once the state exchanges are set up such employers may well drop insurance altogether. Then there might not be as much reason to use part time employees.

11. First

First Diamond Member

lol.

You tards are quite entertaining. One moment, Romney's "surging", has "momentum", has "large crowds", and is assured the Presidency as a result, polls and statistics be damned. Now suddenly a few companies lay off workers and it clearly must be Obamacare's fault, despite rich data suggesting the increasing cost of healthcare has rapidly decreased.

What, you think we forgot your shitty posts about a Romney victory? This shit is bumpable. Hide in shame, kids.

12. zinfamous

zinfamous No Lifer

Now, of course OP isn't going to cite the rapid increase in employment over the next 4 weeks in the retail and service sector as a direct response to the President's re-election, is he?

:colbert:

13. NoStateofMind

NoStateofMind Diamond Member

So ole wise one, please explain why these layoffs are happening?

14. 1prophet

1prophet Diamond Member

What about the links in the article?

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/09/welch_allyn_cutting_275_worldw.html

http://thurbersthoughts.blogspot.com/2012/10/dana-considering-layoffs-as-obamacare.html

http://www.mmm-online.com/stryker-layoffs-blamed-on-obamacare-tax/article/247605/

http://nation.foxnews.com/obamacare...entific-firing-1400-workers-hiring-1000-china

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2012/oct/27/shirley-medical-device-tax-will-impact-jobs-and/

15. NoStateofMind

That's the economy coming back! All the $8hr jobs you can swallow!

16. child of wonder

child of wonder Diamond Member

I'm not "the left." This may come as a shock but when someone doesn't agree with you that's doesn't make them "the left."

You attempted to paint these layoffs as being announced after the election. That was a lie.

No one disputes that companies are laying people off in anticipation of "Obamacare." Despite that, employment numbers continue to gain momentum.

Bottom line is the economy is slowly improving, companies lay people off for all kinds of reasons no matter how the economy is doing, and the sky is blue. I'm not a big fan of "Obamacare" but the way our healthcare system was going before wasn't working either.

17. child of wonder

child of wonder Diamond Member

Link?

18. mshan

mshan Diamond Member

Seriously, medical device companies will no longer be able to sell the equivalent of $800 toilet seats to military and they have to right size accordingly.

Unfortunate workers who can only find part time work at Walmart, retailers, or restaurants, are the uglier side of capitalism (which we all benefit from, in terms of keeping inflation down).

These types of jobs will go to large pool of say youth wanting after school job, college students who want some spending money, seniors who want to supplement social security and their retirement investments if they have any, and in Hampton Roads area, it is going to be retired military (on pension?) and military wives who want to supplement spouse's military pay who will take these low paying jobs without benefits.

Not trying to use the word disparagingly, but unskilled workers are basically being understandably used as commodity item by businesses.

#43 mshan, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  19. wirednuts

wirednuts Diamond Member

Obama wanted a public option. Basically, medicare for everyone. It would have been an OPTION. you can keep the expensive insurance you have if you want, and all it would have been is real competition for all the bullshit plans currently out there.

why didnt it work that way? because the insurance companies lobbied against it. they wouldnt allow it, because they knew it would have cut into their profits. thats why we got the current obamacare we have now, which is nothing more then a blowjob to the insurance industry. its still better then what we had before (runaway insurance costs), but it all it really does is stop the mad inflation of premiums due to so many people who arent currently covered.

i am tired of people hating obama for doing the only thing he could. the reason obamacare is the way it is, is because the insurance industry is too greedy. focus your hate on the people who are the real cause of skyrocketing healthcare costs, PLEASE.

20. NoStateofMind

Yeah and he had 'reservations' about NDAA. LOL

21. boomerang

boomerang Lifer

I almost had wine come out my nose on that last sentence. Didn't see it coming a mile away. :D

22. boomerang

boomerang Lifer

Put the pipe down. You sound upset that we've moved on and back to our usual dissing of Obama and his leadership. His remaining in office doesn't mean we suddenly want to get in the long, long line to toss his salad. Do you remember that he only won by a slim margin? 2.5% as the count stands currently.

I will do my best in the future to wait for the state approved media to issue the truth provided by the regime before I comment in the future but I can't make any promises.

23. MooseNSquirrel

24. MooseNSquirrel

Ha, confirmed pre-conceived bias is confirmed.

25. First

First Diamond Member

lol. Obama has been elected by a combined majority of 12.6M votes over 2 elections, over 3.1M in this election despite basically 8% average unemployment (oh, and people don't blame him for it, including many Repubs, because they remember when the shit hit the fan). Elected by 126 electoral votes this election and 318 electoral votes overall in the last 2 elections combined, despite arguably the most divided electorate in our history.

Sorry, kid, America doesn't want the stanky shit you're selling.

Oh really?

BUMP