Who's getting a 1080ti?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yea I'm glad I didn't wait for Vega which was initially what I was going to do. I'm more than happy with my 1080ti. It really helps out in VR too.

DaQuteness

Mar 6, 2008
A lot of people waited on Vega... I got the 1080ti FTW3 in the end, and will gladly buy the second one to put the final nail in the productivity coffin, I hardly even need a single one for gaming, only do 1080p at 75hz (hopefully 2x Ultra-wides 1440p 100hz in the near future) and that's absolutely fine for me. But when it comes to productive work, I really need the extra horsepower for renders.

Playing DOOM doesn't even start spinning the fans until after 10 minutes or so and even under full stress test load, fans @50% never exceed 65C on full overclock after 1h, I guess I have good airflow and can take a second card on air easily - the next rig I do will be a full AMD one though: Threadripper and Vega for sure.

Guys, please post UNIGINE Superposition 1080p Extreme results, I am really curious to see where everybody sits with their card, not a competition, just share the info :)

Now, I do have a gripe with something, and that is the shitty PrecisionX OC software, has more bugs than a homeless den. My PWR temperature is no longer being registered and is stuck on the value that it has when starting the software, therefore the PWR fan curve is no longer useful. EVGA support have not been very helpful so far unfortunately.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
A lot of people waited on Vega... I got the 1080ti FTW3 in the end, and will gladly buy the second one to put the final nail in the productivity coffin, I hardly even need a single one for gaming, only do 1080p at 75hz (hopefully 2x Ultra-wides 1440p 100hz in the near future) and that's absolutely fine for me. But when it comes to productive work, I really need the extra horsepower for renders.

Playing DOOM doesn't even start spinning the fans until after 10 minutes or so and even under full stress test load, fans @50% never exceed 65C on full overclock after 1h, I guess I have good airflow and can take a second card on air easily - the next rig I do will be a full AMD one though: Threadripper and Vega for sure.

Guys, please post UNIGINE Superposition 1080p Extreme results, I am really curious to see where everybody sits with their card, not a competition, just share the info :)

Now, I do have a gripe with something, and that is the shitty PrecisionX OC software, has more bugs than a homeless den. My PWR temperature is no longer being registered and is stuck on the value that it has when starting the software, therefore the PWR fan curve is no longer useful. EVGA support have not been very helpful so far unfortunately.
Yea I wanted the ftw3 but after the fan issues I was surprised. I think I have a unigen score somewhere in this thread. If not I'll post one when I get home. I barely hear my card, my CPU cooler makes more noise.

DaQuteness

Mar 6, 2008
My H115i pump makes more noise... then again, card runs freakin' passively right up until it hits serious load! Your strix has beefier cooling, I just wanted to keep to 2-slot for airflow reasons, to try and keep as much distance between the cards (when the 2nd one goes in).

As for the benchmark, I'd love it if more people add to this thread... My top score was 6207, and that was just silicon limitation, no way thermals or power :)

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
My Poseidon 1080 Ti came in and I need to build the rest of my rig.. thinking of a 7700k and 32GB of Gkill DDR4. Motherboard will be Asus, was considering the Maximus IX Extreme;

For the case I prefer a mid-tower such as Corsair 460 RGB - can I go even smaller while water cooling my 7700k + 1080 Ti? (My Ti is 11.73" / 29.8cm in length)

Last edited:

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017

Well I just ordered a 1080ti but here is my Fury X benchmark for reference. :)

IIqe1Pk.jpg

DaQuteness

Mar 6, 2008
Well I just ordered a 1080ti but here is my Fury X benchmark for reference. :)

That's not a bad score for Fury X considering it is slightly older and a respectable card! My 1080Ti FTW3 got 5600 out of the box, had to push it to 6207.

To make things fun, although not necessarily fair, my Vega FE just came in today so I'll play around with it and see what I can milk out of it.

My Poseidon 1080 Ti came in and I need to build the rest of my rig.. thinking of a 7700k and 32GB of Gkill DDR4. Motherboard will be Asus, was considering the Maximus IX Extreme;

For the case I prefer a mid-tower such as Corsair 460 RGB - can I go even smaller while water cooling my 7700k + 1080 Ti? (My Ti is 11.73" / 29.8cm in length)

You can go as small as the Define Nano S if you got the patience - it was actually MADE for smaller case water-cooling. Check it out, worth a look. NZXT are also very good for water cooling although the s340 is under-vented for the purpose.

Reactions: urvile

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
That's not a bad score for Fury X considering it is slightly older and a respectable card! My 1080Ti FTW3 got 5600 out of the box, had to push it to 6207.

To make things fun, although not necessarily fair, my Vega FE just came in today so I'll play around with it and see what I can milk out of it.

You can go as small as the Define Nano S if you got the patience - it was actually MADE for smaller case water-cooling. Check it out, worth a look. NZXT are also very good for water cooling although the s340 is under-vented for the purpose.

Here you go DaQuteness my superposition benchmark with a Gigabyte aorus gtx1080ti xtreme edition and ryzen threadripper 1920x. Everything is vanilla. The card is using the default clocks/clock mode.

yzIBvlH.jpg

DaQuteness

Mar 6, 2008
Here you go DaQuteness my superposition benchmark with a Gigabyte aorus gtx1080ti xtreme edition and ryzen threadripper 1920x. Everything is vanilla. The card is using the default clocks/clock mode.

yzIBvlH.jpg

Awesome score out of the box! You'll love playing with OC, trust me :) enjoy! And thanks for posting your score

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

Thanks, that Nano S sure looks cool! Don't need to go as small as ITX but I'll check it out. I've been eyeing the Phanteks Evolv mATX with TG paired with the mATX ROG 270G motherboard, then I'll need to get the ekwb parts. It's all adding up! :)

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
Well a retailer here has the same card I bought on sale. So I have decided to go SLI. Yes I am aware of the potential problems because I have run CF setups for years but based on the benches I have read for the card I have when running in SLI. (if the game supports SLI) reviewers have been getting ~30 extra (avg) frames @ 1440p on games like watchdogs 2. So it sounds OK to me. I think gaming at anything under 1440p would be a waste.

Anyways....it will be interesting to see what sort of benchmarks I get in firestrike etc as well.

Reactions: moonbogg

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
urvile, WOW! I applaud you on using a TR for the extra PCI lanes and putting then to use with 2 GTX1080TI's in SLI.

I just upgraded my 5960x from a GTX1080 to the GTX1080TI (Gigabyte Aorus Extreme with waterblock) and now 4k is smooth.
2 GTX1080TIs like you now have should be able to shred anything out there.

You have answered the OPs thread by purchasing 2 of them!

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
So it doesn't seem like I can do a superposition bench with SLI. So here are some 3D mark benchmarks for my cards.

Firestrike Ultra:

gXqpHhS.jpg

Firestrike Extreme:

xflnt8w.jpg

Time spy:

7vNgiNu.jpg

The only issue I have had with my cards so far is the default fan profile is far to optimistic. I was seeing temps in excess of 90 degrees in far cry 4 until I adjusted the fan profile. Now it kicks in much higher RPM much earlier which keeps the temps under control.

To be honest I forgot how noisy high end air cooled set ups can be.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaQuteness

DaQuteness

Mar 6, 2008
Niiice! Yes, superposition is single-gpu. Unigine in general is single-gpu as far as I know, it's used to stress-test overclocks. You wouldn't really use dual OC cards because of silicon lottery :) (at which I drew a brown straw, only squeezed 25Mhz stable on top of factory OC, but memory goes 800Mhz up so that's nice :)) Oh yes of course and massive (310W per card) power draw.

Edit: I have to add though, that 310W an FTW3 pulls... Is still 25% less than Vega on bat crap crazy stock volts.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
My H115i pump makes more noise... then again, card runs freakin' passively right up until it hits serious load! Your strix has beefier cooling, I just wanted to keep to 2-slot for airflow reasons, to try and keep as much distance between the cards (when the 2nd one goes in).

I haven't used one of the AIOs since I bought a Corsair H50 ages ago, and I decided to try one again. I went with an NZXT one (I'd have to look up which one it is), and man... I can't say that I've been that satisfied with the noise levels. For a 280mm radiator and variable speed pump, it's just way too noisy. It also has excessive air bubbles in it, which they recommend taking apart just to clear. If I take it off, it's staying off. On that note, I'm tempted to go back to the tried-and-true Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO as it never gave me problems. My video card has usually been the noisiest thing in my PC, and in this case, it's my CPU cooler. Although, I did have to put a fan reducer between my 1080 Ti Hybrid and its fan to reduce the noise.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I haven't used one of the AIOs since I bought a Corsair H50 ages ago, and I decided to try one again. I went with an NZXT one (I'd have to look up which one it is), and man... I can't say that I've been that satisfied with the noise levels. For a 280mm radiator and variable speed pump, it's just way too noisy. It also has excessive air bubbles in it, which they recommend taking apart just to clear. If I take it off, it's staying off. On that note, I'm tempted to go back to the tried-and-true Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO as it never gave me problems. My video card has usually been the noisiest thing in my PC, and in this case, it's my CPU cooler. Although, I did have to put a fan reducer between my 1080 Ti Hybrid and its fan to reduce the noise.
I still have my Evo 212 but I snapped the fans since they were so brittle while I did upgrades. I'm fine with the h100i for now. I was tempted to try other cooling solutions but I got it during a sale so I went with it. Next time the cpu cooler may get changed when I get a new cpu that requires another mobo.

Last edited:

DaQuteness

Mar 6, 2008
I haven't used one of the AIOs since I bought a Corsair H50 ages ago, and I decided to try one again. I went with an NZXT one (I'd have to look up which one it is), and man... I can't say that I've been that satisfied with the noise levels. For a 280mm radiator and variable speed pump, it's just way too noisy. It also has excessive air bubbles in it, which they recommend taking apart just to clear....

I don't know, NZXT is a mixed bag. Cool design but pump and rad are identical for ALL AIOs and actually I currently have NZXT fans on the Corsair AIO and it's great.

Here's a pic:
IMG_20170827_120818.jpg

All that makes a difference is assembly quality, sorry to hear you're not so happy with yours. And don't take it apart, that's condemning it...

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
All that makes a difference is assembly quality, sorry to hear you're not so happy with yours. And don't take it apart, that's condemning it...

Oh, when I say "taking it apart", I just mean taking the build apart to separate the cooler.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yea I'm glad I didn't wait for Vega which was initially what I was going to do. I'm more than happy with my 1080ti. It really helps out in VR too.

Im kinda happy i waited for Vega really, now it means i get to wait out Volta and hopefully mining crashes by then and GPU prices will drop back to reality.

DaQuteness

Mar 6, 2008
In the end I kinda stretched financially and got a Frontier Edition as well, but you know what the strange part is? Despite all the problems I've had so far, despite the botched launch, I've realised something. I am genuinely interested in Vega... The 1080Ti FTW3 is straight-forward, plug in, no nonsense, balls-to-the-wall gaming monster. 4K? Sure thing, screw doubt... But in the FE I am genuinely invested and interested. I want to make it work, I want to tinker with the drivers, push it further, just genuine sentiment, sometimes disappointment because the drivers are shit, sometimes excitement because I found a workaround for consistent OC on older drivers that have WattMan broken and get valid results. When you DO work around the problems, Vega is a true monster. Shame the price is a bit steep for performance. On another hand, I really don't care about power consumption... I don't have an enthusiast build to cut corners. The FE crushes Blender rendering times by up to 15% at top scene optimisation! Having said that, I love the 1080Ti too, that thing is a frame-spewing machine! No game will choke on it's performance any time soon!

Having said that, it really depends on how you feel. Never mind some of the reviews, look at Gamers Nexus and you're done, no need to look further. I am genuingely glad people buy both green and red team products, as long as you're happy with what you get and don't rub it in other's face, it's brilliant!

Enjoy shredding frames guys!! If anyone wants to play some Quake Champions, hit me up!

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Which card has the best cooler/noise? I've heard some complaints about the EVGA and Asus, even tho the Asus seems to be the most popular. MSI or Zotac maybe?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Which card has the best cooler/noise? I've heard some complaints about the EVGA and Asus, even tho the Asus seems to be the most popular. MSI or Zotac maybe?
Mines pretty quiet and it's an Asus. Evga is good too if they fixed the fan issues. I would probably go with Asus or msi.

DaQuteness

Mar 6, 2008
Complaints about EVGA? Maybe SC2 or Gaming Black, I have the FTW3 and visited someone with a Strix... couldn't tell the difference at matched RPM, honestly dead silent both of them under ultra-wide 1440p load.

MSI does have a really quiet card as well!