Who's getting a 1080ti?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 13, 2014
plus.google.com
Ok so that's why it's hot, uninstall the app and delete the folder it creates in c Drive, then grab the latest version of precision and install. Hopefully you can get them all running and cool it down

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I just checked and when the card is running at 75C, there's only a single fan on (the left-most one). I went into Precision OCX, and checked the Fan tab. I noticed that Enable Automatic Fan Control was disabled, so I enabled that. Now, I have the first two fans working, but the third fan still doesn't turn on, and that's interesting since I think Gamers Nexus said the VRM fan (the third one) was a bit too aggressive?
I experienced a similar thing when I had the aurora 1080ti OC model. Only the first two fans worked at first and after uninstalling the gigabyte software it seemed to correct itself. I ended up sending it back though because even after all the software issues and a clean install, the card would not stay stable.

Oct 13, 2014
plus.google.com
I just checked and when the card is running at 75C, there's only a single fan on (the left-most one). I went into Precision OCX, and checked the Fan tab. I noticed that Enable Automatic Fan Control was disabled, so I enabled that. Now, I have the first two fans working, but the third fan still doesn't turn on, and that's interesting since I think Gamers Nexus said the VRM fan (the third one) was a bit too aggressive?
How do you go with it?

DaQuteness

Mar 6, 2008
Can anyone in this crowd suggest a stable, cool version of the 1080ti that can take sustained full workload for a couple of hours? Right now the evga FTW or MSI options look to have the best cooling but hey, I'm here to ask and help :)

I'm mostly going to use the power for rendering and in the long run, ideally, when the money dam breaks loose, to get 4 cards in a single workstation.

I do a lot of 3D work, especially in Blender, so I don't care much for OC potential, I just need it to be cool and stable. FYI at work I have 2 cards in my workstation, a GTX960 and GTX970, both MSI, both incredibly quiet even when rendering for 30m+

Cheers!
V.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
How do you go with it?

I ended up returning the FTW3 and buying a ROG STRIX (non-OC). I gave it a go last night, and the STRIX is working well for me. The one difference is that I didn't even attempt to install the card's fan software. In my opinion, if a card can't work well out of the box without that sort of software, then it's not worth it. Although, I did read that the Fan Xpert II capability requires the software, which I am tempted to use the video card's PWM fan connectors. Whenever I use a non-water-cooled video card, I use a side panel fan, so I'd like to correlate that to the video card's temperature not my CPU. As of right now, I have it set based upon the chassis temperature, which is slightly better since the video card usually contributes a lot to the chassis temperature.

Can anyone in this crowd suggest a stable, cool version of the 1080ti that can take sustained full workload for a couple of hours? Right now the evga FTW or MSI options look to have the best cooling but hey, I'm here to ask and help :)

I'm mostly going to use the power for rendering and in the long run, ideally, when the money dam breaks loose, to get 4 cards in a single workstation.

I do a lot of 3D work, especially in Blender, so I don't care much for OC potential, I just need it to be cool and stable. FYI at work I have 2 cards in my workstation, a GTX960 and GTX970, both MSI, both incredibly quiet even when rendering for 30m+.

Just to be clear, I wouldn't look at your past experience with the 960 + 970 as evidence of how two 1080 Tis would go. The biggest difference between the two scenarios is that the 960 and 970 don't use as much power, and consequently, don't put off as much heat. In the end, it's the heat that's going to be your biggest problem with four 1080 Tis. If you really want that much power, I would consider getting cheaper Founders Edition cards and using water cooling. It will not be as cheap, but I would say that or using blower style coolers would be your best bet to keep thermals in check.

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I ended up returning the FTW3 and buying a ROG STRIX (non-OC). I gave it a go last night, and the STRIX is working well for me. The one difference is that I didn't even attempt to install the card's fan software. In my opinion, if a card can't work well out of the box without that sort of software, then it's not worth it. Although, I did read that the Fan Xpert II capability requires the software, which I am tempted to use the video card's PWM fan connectors. Whenever I use a non-water-cooled video card, I use a side panel fan, so I'd like to correlate that to the video card's temperature not my CPU. As of right now, I have it set based upon the chassis temperature, which is slightly better since the video card usually contributes a lot to the chassis temperature.

Just to be clear, I wouldn't look at your past experience with the 960 + 970 as evidence of how two 1080 Tis would go. The biggest difference between the two scenarios is that the 960 and 970 don't use as much power, and consequently, don't put off as much heat. In the end, it's the heat that's going to be your biggest problem with four 1080 Tis. If you really want that much power, I would consider getting cheaper Founders Edition cards and using water cooling. It will not be as cheap, but I would say that or using blower style coolers would be your best bet to keep thermals in check.
I have the same card but the OC edition and I never downloaded any fan software. I did download the OC tool and the aurora light program so I can change the colors of the led.

Other than that I believe all fans are fully functional.

DaQuteness

Mar 6, 2008

Aikouka, thanks for pointing out the heat problem, I did kind of see that coming and I do know it's a production environment setup, not something you'd cram under the desk. Custom water-cooled build for sure.

It's going to be bloody expensive but honestly, if you do the math and have steady jobs for 6-8 months, you've paid off the monster and it enables you to try a lot more in far less time.

But I digress, from what I'm reading on various forums and news sites, it seems like the SC2, FTW3 and STRIX are the main competitiors for single and dual-card setups, and FE's with watercooling for quad-card builds but reading on this thread it seems getting all the fancy fans to work correctly is a bit crap in all top-end cards. Did not see that coming...

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I have the same card but the OC edition and I never downloaded any fan software. I did download the OC tool and the aurora light program so I can change the colors of the led.

Other than that I believe all fans are fully functional.

Yeah, the only reason why I'd install the fan software is for the PWM 4-pin connectors on the board. It would be nice to have the side panel fan tied into that connector, but I don't need it. I also haven't heard anything good about ASUS's software, but it seems that you pretty much never hear anything good about AIB software. :p Well, unless it's MSI's Afterburner!

But I digress, from what I'm reading on various forums and news sites, it seems like the SC2, FTW3 and STRIX are the main competitiors for single and dual-card setups, and FE's with watercooling for quad-card builds but reading on this thread it seems getting all the fancy fans to work correctly is a bit crap in all top-end cards. Did not see that coming...

If you want to go with water, it seems like EVGA's SC2 may not get water blocks. I do know that EKWB isn't making blocks for it as they're only targeting the SC Black and FTW3 right now. Also, keep in mind that the STRIX is not a dual-slot GPU... it's more of a 2.5 slot GPU, which means it wouldn't work in a quad-GPU setup anyway. That's one of the advantages of water in that the coolers only occupy about 1 slot, and they're far more effective than air cooling. Although, I am curious about the quad-card setup. Does that still work? I know Nvidia doesn't allow anything about dual-card SLI, but I take it that you're just doing CUDA-based acceleration, which I don't think matters?

One thing to also keep in mind is that the FE cards do not have DVI, and the included DisplayPort to DVI adapter only does up to 1080p as it's a passive adapter. This ended up being a bit issue for me as Windows doesn't deal well with DisplayPort or HDMI only monitors in a multi-monitor situation.

DaQuteness

Mar 6, 2008
If you want to go with water, it seems like EVGA's SC2 may not get water blocks. I do know that EKWB isn't making blocks for it as they're only targeting the SC Black and FTW3 right now. Also, keep in mind that the STRIX is not a dual-slot GPU... it's more of a 2.5 slot GPU, which means it wouldn't work in a quad-GPU setup anyway. That's one of the advantages of water in that the coolers only occupy about 1 slot, and they're far more effective than air cooling. Although, I am curious about the quad-card setup. Does that still work? I know Nvidia doesn't allow anything about dual-card SLI, but I take it that you're just doing CUDA-based acceleration, which I don't think matters?

One thing to also keep in mind is that the FE cards do not have DVI, and the included DisplayPort to DVI adapter only does up to 1080p as it's a passive adapter. This ended up being a bit issue for me as Windows doesn't deal well with DisplayPort or HDMI only monitors in a multi-monitor situation.

That's the beauty of using GPU for computing, it actually completely disables SLI/Crossfire for rendering. You can have 4 different cards in the same enclosure and they'll work just fine, you can even mix amd/nvidia and it will only use what it can. In blender you can assign resources, meaning in theory i can fire up an i stance for cuda and one for opencl although really not recommended mainly due to windows not handling a mix of drivers very well.

Also nvidia had the enthusiast key program through which you'd get special drivers to unlock 4-way sli but i think they dropped it and it's now mainstream, just stupidly expensive and completely unjustified for gaming. You'd have to play Doom at 8k to tickle the cap on that setup...

Good call on the displayport, I'll keep that in mind! MSI might also have no dvi, the 970 at work is 4xDP only.

Cheers!
V.

Oct 13, 2014
plus.google.com
That's the beauty of using GPU for computing, it actually completely disables SLI/Crossfire for rendering. You can have 4 different cards in the same enclosure and they'll work just fine, you can even mix amd/nvidia and it will only use what it can. In blender you can assign resources, meaning in theory i can fire up an i stance for cuda and one for opencl although really not recommended mainly due to windows not handling a mix of drivers very well.

Also nvidia had the enthusiast key program through which you'd get special drivers to unlock 4-way sli but i think they dropped it and it's now mainstream, just stupidly expensive and completely unjustified for gaming. You'd have to play Doom at 8k to tickle the cap on that setup...

Good call on the displayport, I'll keep that in mind! MSI might also have no dvi, the 970 at work is 4xDP only.

Cheers!
V.
Msi 1080ti has dvi, 2x hdmi, 2x dp. It's also a 2.5 slot cooler like the strix and a couple of others. I don't know anything about rendering but if you need more gpu grunt make sure you have a decent power supply that has enough pcie power cables to handle all those gpus, and a motherboard that can fit them. Definitely go with reference/blower style gpus, have good case air flow and try it out without water cooling first. Maybe check out the single slot galax 1070 katana gpus?

ArizonaSteve

Dec 20, 2003
I really wanted to wait for Vega. First there were the delays... and more delays. And the lackluster conference they had last month. The last straw was the resurgence of the mining craze which makes it unlikely that Vega will be available at anywhere near MSRP when it is finally released (I am assuming that like most AMD cards, it'll be great for mining). So as of yesterday I have a EVGA 1080ti FTW on its way to me.

I really hope ThreadRipper doesn't suffer from any delays.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I really wanted to wait for Vega. First there were the delays... and more delays. And the lackluster conference they had last month. The last straw was the resurgence of the mining craze which makes it unlikely that Vega will be available at anywhere near MSRP when it is finally released (I am assuming that like most AMD cards, it'll be great for mining). So as of yesterday I have a EVGA 1080ti FTW on its way to me.

I really hope ThreadRipper doesn't suffer from any delays.

Yeah its a bummer if you wanted a Vega card. The 1080ti is solid and won't disappoint. Fact is, Nvidia delivered with the 1080ti and it's worth its price. BF1 at 3440x1440 totally maxed out almost never drops under 100fps. It takes about all 64 players to be smashed into the same spot with everyone going absolutely nuts to make the card drop under 100, and that's only on certain maps. Pretty rare. You'll be happy with it. Its got plenty of Vram to last the life of the card as well. That's not always the case but I think with 11gb it will have enough until the card is too slow.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yeah its a bummer if you wanted a Vega card. The 1080ti is solid and won't disappoint. Fact is, Nvidia delivered with the 1080ti and it's worth its price. BF1 at 3440x1440 totally maxed out almost never drops under 100fps. It takes about all 64 players to be smashed into the same spot with everyone going absolutely nuts to make the card drop under 100, and that's only on certain maps. Pretty rare. You'll be happy with it. Its got plenty of Vram to last the life of the card as well. That's not always the case but I think with 11gb it will have enough until the card is too slow.
I was worried if I went to a 4k screen that my fps in bf would be lower. I'm playing at 1440p and I always get over 100fps in any Match. As long as games are optimized correctly 4k shouldn't be much of a hassle. I've never owned a Ti edition card until now and i can tell it's a lot smoother than my 1070 for sure.

DaQuteness

Mar 6, 2008
Signed up for Quake Champions closed beta yesterday ( go here by the way: https://quake.bethesda.net/en/signup ) and LOL it wouldn't even let me set all settings on medium! =)) (see signature to see why)

However I was able to play Doom on all medium 1080p with (mostly) stable 30fps on Vulkan :D - chuffed!

Damn I'm looking forward to September, planning on getting a whole new rig around then - TR or Ryzen1800x (NOT for gaming reasons) + Vega or 1080Ti(also not primarily for gaming reasons) depending on price/performance.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
So as of yesterday I have a EVGA 1080ti FTW on its way to me.

You may want to look above to see some of the issues that I had with that card. Essentially, it was a pretty poor experience with the card getting way too hot because only 1 or 2 of the fans would ever spin up. I returned it, and purchased an ASUS card instead, which has been pretty good so far.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
You may want to look above to see some of the issues that I had with that card. Essentially, it was a pretty poor experience with the card getting way too hot because only 1 or 2 of the fans would ever spin up. I returned it, and purchased an ASUS card instead, which has been pretty good so far.
I'm surprised that got messed up this round. My 1070 ftw I felt like it was the most solid card. Obviously I had no issues with it but I know how it sucks when you get a brand new gpu and it doesn't function as it should.

b-mac

Jun 15, 2015
Just ordered the MSI Gaming X 1080 ti, pretty pumped to pair it with my Acer monitor. So some pics of it with someone here. Anyone else with it, and hows it running for you?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'm surprised that got messed up this round. My 1070 ftw I felt like it was the most solid card. Obviously I had no issues with it but I know how it sucks when you get a brand new gpu and it doesn't function as it should.

The 1070 FTW doesn't have their new asynchronous fan tech, which is what I assume caused the problems.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
Hope the Zotac equivalent feature ("fan freeze") doesn't have the same issue.
Recently switched from my XFX 290 DDs and 390 DDs to Zotac 1080 AMPs.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Hope the Zotac equivalent feature ("fan freeze") doesn't have the same issue.
Recently switched from my XFX 290 DDs and 390 DDs to Zotac 1080 AMPs.

I don't think so. I don't have much experience with ZOTAC, but the FREEZE feature seems to be the same basic, zero spin feature that most GPUs come with today. In those implementations, it just turns all fans off until the GPU reaches a certain temperature. In the EVGA FTW3 setup, it's supposed to adjust each fan individually depending on sensors on the board, which correspond to GPU, Memory and VRMs.

If you're any bit worried, just keep an eye on your temps. I'd say that if you're seeing between 60-70C, you're good. (Most of the nicer AIB coolers don't go above 70C with their default fan curves.)

Reactions: WhoBeDaPlaya

ScottFern

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Anyone running a 1080 Ti reference card, or "founders edition" ? I made the mistake of buying one on the forum before realizing the reference cooler is terrible. I am hoping I can run a custom fan profile at like max of 30% and just not worry about the noise.

DaQuteness

Mar 6, 2008
Not really a mistake, FE cards take water blocks very well, it's not cheaper but it's certainly better cooling than even top air-cooled venodors. So, technically, you're probably better future-proofed than most other cards as you have the most overhead for customization, but you have to push the OC yourself.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Anyone running a 1080 Ti reference card, or "founders edition" ? I made the mistake of buying one on the forum before realizing the reference cooler is terrible. I am hoping I can run a custom fan profile at like max of 30% and just not worry about the noise.

I'm not sure if 30% is going to be fast enough to keep the card cool. The FE cards easily hit the max temp under GPU Boost, and are forced to back down all the while sounding like a flippin' jet plane. If you want a cheap solution, pick up an EVGA 1080 Hybrid Kit. No, that wasn't a mistype, the non-Ti kit will work on the 1080 Ti with the exception of the shroud not fitting, which isn't necessary anyway. This should bring your temps down to around 50-60C while being far quieter. Although, I think the EVGA fan isn't that great as it tends to be a bit too noisy. I installed a Noctua NF-12P, which raised my temps by about 5C (I'm usually 55C-60C), but it's far, far quieter.

Oct 13, 2014
plus.google.com
You'll need to run the fan around 50-60% minimum

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011

I seem to have got lucky with my founders. It lives at 2100-2114 in any game or benchmark without any issues, but its got a water block on it. So as far as the quality of the board is concerned, the FE edition is good enough to get the most out of these chips. The EVGA Kingpin might do better because I think that one allows voltage tweaking, but who knows. The FE is good but you need to cool it yourself or turn the fan up.