Whole milk is junk food?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051210/ap_...24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-

Cartons of whole milk would be considered junk food, but baked Cheetos would not, under new rules proposed Friday by Illinois education officials.
The State Board of Education proposed the rules after Gov. Rod Blagojevich asked for a junk food ban in elementary and middle schools.
The new rules focus on the nutritional content of foods rather than broad categories of food.
Because of that, the proposed guidelines would allow 1 ounce bags of baked potato chips, even though all chips are now banned under the board's current definition of junk food. Whole milk would also be banned because of its high fat content, school officials said.
Some of the recommended cut-off points: calories from fat exceeding 35 percent (except nuts and seeds), calories from saturated fat exceeding 10 percent, and total calories exceeding 200 for an individual package.
"I think it's more practical," said the board's general counsel, Jonathan Furr. "We're focusing on nutrition, which is the objective to focus on a healthier environment."

I dunno how I feel about this. I almost never drink whole milk because it is high in fat. But calling it junk food and banning it?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
A matter of syntax.

It falls under the category due to the high fat content.
They are not calling it junk food, just that it contains/falls the same guidelines as what is considered junk food.

Jun 27, 2005
The headline in that link is very misleading. Almosts sensational. If you read the story, all it says is that whole milk doesn't fit into the nutrition rules passed by the school board. Not that they are going to ban it.

That having been said there are other alternatives to whole milk. 2% milk, soy milk, etc.

The guidelines themselves make perfect sense.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Nature designed milk to fatten up baby calves and get them to gain as much weight as possible. Because of this, it's really not a good food for humans in a society where calories are too plentiful. In the distant pass when everyone was a half starved subsistance farmer, it was a great food.

m316foley

Nov 19, 2001
I really have to wonder.... when do we let kids just learn from experience? I mean, life is all about choices... some choices have good consequences, some have bad. Some choices can be corrected, some can't. Do you honestly think someone in the age of 12-14 (middle school) doesn't understand the concept of what's healthy for them (in terms of food) and what's not? Hell, they're only 1 year off from having a learner's permit and 2 years off from being able to operate a motor vehicle by themselves....

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
The headline in that link is very misleading. Almosts sensational.

If you read the story, all it says is that whole milk doesn't fit into the nutrition rules passed by the school board. Not that they are going to ban it.

They obviously frequent P&N :D

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: zendari
Gotta love the sense of Illinois liberals.

This has nothing to do with liberals, it has to do with keeping children healthy. The increase in Type II diabetes among children is disturbing. Schools need to supply food, so what's wrong with setting the standards to be moderately healthy instead of complete crap?

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

If you read the story, all it says is that whole milk doesn't fit into the nutrition rules passed by the school board. Not that they are going to ban it.

Hahaha... Are you taking credit for that one Dave? :p

zendari

Banned
May 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Strk

This has nothing to do with liberals, it has to do with keeping children healthy. The increase in Type II diabetes among children is disturbing. Schools need to supply food, so what's wrong with setting the standards to be moderately healthy instead of complete crap?

Don't choose to eat complete crap. I hope my child has the option to purchase a soda once in a while after school.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Hahaha... Are you taking credit for that one Dave? :p

I get comments from Journalists all the time.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003

Don't choose to eat complete crap. I hope my child has the option to purchase a soda once in a while after school.

What does after school have to do with while they're in school?

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

DO NOT REPRODUCE.

zendari

Banned
May 27, 2005

Well, in my high school, the year after I left they removed all soda and vending machines because some whiny parents didn't like it. Rather similar to this Illinois case here.

So where exactly does a kid get a soda? I guess you could walk across rather busy roads to a convenience store and back, that is, if you want 1000 students crossing busy intersections 2-4 times daily.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Corrupt board of education...another reason to homeschool or send to private school.

Of course pastuerized whole milk isn't much good either. But Illinois in it's nanny state wisdom bans raw organic milk for resale so you have to skirt it by "owning" a cow or breaking the law.

Legend

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2005
Whole milk does have a lot of saturated fat, but that won't make you fat. Only give you heart problems if you don't do any activity and eat other high saturated fat foods and simple carbs.

However, cheetos are definitely worse for you. No nutritional benefits, and the high processed carb content increases body fat production and hunger.

fornax

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

We know that you wish that old people would just die off and vanish so that they don't burden you with their medical expenses. But now you want our children to be fat and sick, and therefore some of the dollars that you could use to buy more p()rn and Nintendo games would go to them. Aren't you contradicting yourself?

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003

Well, in my high school, the year after I left they removed all soda and vending machines because some whiny parents didn't like it. Rather similar to this Illinois case here.

So where exactly does a kid get a soda? I guess you could walk across rather busy roads to a convenience store and back, that is, if you want 1000 students crossing busy intersections 2-4 times daily.

Then don't drink soda, your problem is solved.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Legend
Whole milk does have a lot of saturated fat, but that won't make you fat. Only give you heart problems if you don't do any activity and eat other high saturated fat foods and simple carbs.

However, cheetos are definitely worse for you. No nutritional benefits, and the high processed carb content increases body fat production and hunger.

Actually whole milk is indeed junk. 2% milk is only marginally better b/c regular whole milk is like 3 or 3.5% fat. The human body makes saturated fat. Once you become school-age there's almost no need whatsoever to get saturated fat in the diet.

There's nothing magical about the combination of sat'd fat and simple carbs . . . both are bad as a significant portion of a diet.

The baked Cheetos are far from health food but the calorie density and relatively low sodium content gives it a pass.