Whoa.... this is big

MrDaniel

Nov 4, 2011
Is this some kind of sick joke? New android devices remove storage access permission and replace it only with focused media only permission.

What this means. The next android you buy with android 11 or higher, cant function for sht! You cant even attach a .txt file to a gmail message. Needed to print a pdf on your way to do business as you pass a xerox store? Tough sht, you cant unless you want to swap data sticks. No more emailing your pdf to the clerk to print that sht. No more emailing your txt to the clerk to print that sht. No more emailing your 'whatever the hell they want to troll today.'

Here's the best i was able to dig up about it. I call for a boycott of all new android devices.

MrDaniel

Nov 4, 2011
same... I have a P6 and send photos all the time...

Note, i said anything besides media. Images/vids not included in lockout.

Also since op i noticed i can still attach to gmail txt and pdf if i do it from file 3xplorer via share button. It's still a lockout to attach from gmail tho. So not nearly as bad as i thought but still a mistery. I can just send multiple emails if need be.

Im on andoid 11 on my a32 5g and my a12 too. My a12 doesn't have removed storage permissions either but my a32 bought in the philippines does.

And then there's my link that says thats what they're doing on all new devices running andoid 11 now.

Pixil 6 October 28, 2021;

Samsung a32 5g Jan.2021

Hmm. Maybe because it is a foreign phone, or, virus and fake website?

Code:
https://developer.android.com/about/versions/11/privacy/storage

Looks legit...

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Note, i said anything besides media. Images/vids not included in lockout.

Also since op i noticed i can still attach to gmail txt and pdf if i do it from file 3xplorer via share button. It's still a lockout to attach from gmail tho. So not nearly as bad as i thought but still a mistery. I can just send multiple emails if need be.

Im on andoid 11 on my a32 5g and my a12 too. My a12 doesn't have removed storage permissions either but my a32 bought in the philippines does.

And then there's my link that says thats what they're doing on all new devices running andoid 11 now.

Pixil 6 October 28, 2021;

Samsung a32 5g Jan.2021

Hmm. Maybe because it is a foreign phone, or, virus and fake website?

Code:
https://developer.android.com/about/versions/11/privacy/storage

Looks legit...
I'm on Android 12. And I can attach PDF and other documents straight from Gmail no problem.

I'm on multiple pixel and Android forums, never seen this complaint before

Reactions: NTMBK

MrDaniel

Nov 4, 2011
I'm on Android 12. And I can attach PDF and other documents straight from Gmail no problem.

I'm on multiple pixel and Android forums, never seen this complaint before

But what then to explain the resorce i linked. Fake?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
"developer. android. com"

Could that really even be a possibility if it were a legit site?

Maybe you are reading it wrong? I've been with Android since the Nexus 1 in 2010. My last 3 phones have been pixels, and that includes being on Android 11. I'm just saying I've literally never had a problem attaching things directly to GMail. I send three types of files - jpegs, pdf's, and word docs.

I also browse the Android Central forums to look at the Pixel sub forms and the Android OS sub forum and on two Pixel subreddits. Never seen this complaint on there either, though obviously I could have missed it. But a lot of people would be bitching.

MrDaniel

Nov 4, 2011
Maybe you are reading it wrong? I've been with Android since the Nexus 1 in 2010. My last 3 phones have been pixels, and that includes being on Android 11. I'm just saying I've literally never had a problem attaching things directly to GMail. I send three types of files - jpegs, pdf's, and word docs.

I also browse the Android Central forums to look at the Pixel sub forms and the Android OS sub forum and on two Pixel subreddits. Never seen this complaint on there either, though obviously I could have missed it. But a lot of people would be bitching.

Have you read it yet? Am i misreading it? Cuz i definitly have one a32 that has no "storage access" permission and only has "media files only" permission. Whatever the heart of the issue is, it's not operator error.

MrDaniel

Nov 4, 2011
"Storage access" permission is completely absent in all app profiles on that a32. It's not even in the android 11 software on that phone. It is gone.

MrDaniel

Nov 4, 2011
Slurs and profanity are not permitted in the Mobile Devices forum. In the future, choose something else to demonstrate the issues that you are having with your devices.
Google giveth, and google taketh away.

No lie, there's something deeply wrong with these people.

I was on parlor on duck duck go and the routung servers blocked parlor content on the premis it was delivering content to a chrome browser.

Post was pretty simple.

Code:
Removed for Slurs
Moderator The Stu

Google would even ban a perfectly valid anti war argument.

And just now i noticed google was trying to change my post

Trying to attach screenshot now but being mysteriously prevented by AI
3pKWQpb

Code:
Removed for Slurs
Moderator The Stu
3pKWQpb

Last edited by a moderator:

MrDaniel

Nov 4, 2011
Google ai crawling up our redacted, lol

Removed profanity.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Is your phone running pure android?

I mean I've literally sent myself tests since you posted this even though I know I've done it before to other emails, I've opened Gmail and directly attached PDFs and word documents and sent them to my other emails. All works perfectly. Android 12. Not a beta.

Good luck

MrDaniel

Nov 4, 2011
Is your phone running pure android?

I mean I've literally sent myself tests since you posted this even though I know I've done it before to other emails, I've opened Gmail and directly attached PDFs and word documents and sent them to my other emails. All works perfectly. Android 12. Not a beta.

Good luck

Well that pretty well narrows it down to just that it's a foreign phone. Or, google ai /:

Each continent or country has their own set of privacy standards.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Well that pretty well narrows it down to just that it's a foreign phone. Or, google ai /:

Each continent or country has their own set of privacy standards.
I'm in the US and on a pixel. Maybe Samsung owners could chime in. But I don't think phones like the note would have been at all popular with people that use email a lot for work without being able to attach stuff directly to Gmail. It would have been a deal breaker for a lot of workers

Mar 11, 2004
Based on them using Parler (assuming that was a misspelling) and their weird ranting and use of slurs and call for boycott of all Google because they personally are inconvenienced, I'm going to guess the OP is fallen into conspiracy rabbit hole and likely there's some other explanation. Like they loaded something on it for "security" and it did that and he either didn't realize it or understand the thing he's complaining about is likely something done for privacy protection (i.e. Google is enabling the ability to lock file access to just media files so that apps can't load just any files). Heck I don't doubt they loaded something that restricted permissions not realizing it would do that.

Last edited: