whoa!? this device is a tad interesting....

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
do you really want to pay $100 for a 2 gig SD card? I mean how long does it take to take the SD card out of the camera and plug it into the computer?

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Originally posted by: Aharami
do you really want to pay $100 for a 2 gig SD card? I mean how long does it take to take the SD card out of the camera and plug it into the computer?

well, I believe the point of the card is you can be anywhere that has a wifi spot and "instantly" upload it to a supported service. I personally wouldn't want that, but that's the idea I believe.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Wouldn't it be nicer if they just made Wi-Fi standard on cameras instead? I know there have been a few models out with that feature, along with Wi-Fi grips for DSLRs; I figure Wi-Fi will be standard on digital cameras within two years.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: randomlinh
Originally posted by: Aharami

well, I believe the point of the card is you can be anywhere that has a wifi spot and "instantly" upload it to a supported service. I personally wouldn't want that, but that's the idea I believe.

point taken. i can see it being very useful for maintaining photo blogs, or uploading pics to a server while on vacation to make sure card doesnt fill up. But IMO it's a big premium to pay for the convenience.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Wouldn't it be nicer if they just made Wi-Fi standard on cameras instead? I know there have been a few models out with that feature, along with Wi-Fi grips for DSLRs; I figure Wi-Fi will be standard on digital cameras within two years.

two years? I don't know. There are a couple out there now.. and there's a hefty premium. And the dSLR grips with wifi are insane... heh. I would say it starts to get incorporated. But not standard. And by standard, I want to see more than 3 manufactures have something in the $150 range that has wifi.