WHOA - MASSIVE GM Recall - 4,000,000 trucks!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
shows how much the average ATOTer knows about trucks. i guess they wouldn't have to, considering honda doesn't make any

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Looks to me like they are trying to take care of their customers. Another company like oh Toyota would do nothing.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic
It seems some people would prefer that GM didn't recall and just swept the issue under the rug... like other manufacturers who have the reputation of reliability do. I (OTOH) am glad when a manufacturer addresses and fixes a problem.

Ford is good with recalls as well.

Bassyhead

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2001
Sounds like a lot of recalls but lucky for them a cheap part, not like something wrong with the engine or something

Bassyhead

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2001
Sounds like a lot of recalls but lucky for them a cheap part, not like something wrong with the engine or something

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic
It seems some people would prefer that GM didn't recall and just swept the issue under the rug... like other manufacturers who have the reputation of reliability do. I (OTOH) am glad when a manufacturer addresses and fixes a problem.

Agreed!!!!!!!!
Don't get me started on how many distributors I have replaced on Honda's or how Toyota lied about their emission testing and did not want to do ANY recalls at all, etc.....

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Read the posts, and watch your hopes get flushed

Last edited:

pcmodem

Golden Member
Feb 6, 2001
4 million vehicles?

That's going to cost a LOT of money.

Even if it only costs $100 per vehicle in parts, labor, and administrative fees... you're talking over $400 Million.

Likely it would cost more than that, when you factor in the opportunity cost of lost earnings with time spent on the recall.
-PCM

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: LAUST
Originally posted by: bernse

I would sure as hell hope everyone knows that :confused:
Read the posts, and watch your hopes get flushed

Looks like 1 poster was unsure.
Ugh you don't get it, these children are making it out to be this huge issue, it's a fuggin cable.. got it now?

I think the real issue is the quality of a company that designs a product with umpteen moving parts, and they can't even get a "fuggin cable" right the first time.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
^

MOST items like that are out sourced. Same thing Honda, kia, toyota, etc... ALL car companies do.
rolleye.gif

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
OH NOES, my dads truck has a recall!!! he prolly will take this in.

this is more a preventative recall than a, o sh!t, this is happening way to often. and its hardly dangerous unless you are standing on the tailgate.

MIKE

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
GM makes crap, examples:

- my fathers cadillac deville 2003 was recalled because the gas could potentially explode in the tank, the front brakes went out after only 6,500miles where when you would step on the brakes, the front of the car would shake left and right making it hard to control, it also has major engine problems i dont remember the specifics on that.

- My teachers Cavalier has been in the shop 5times since he bought the car new in Dec 2003, i dont know what for but 5times is a lot of trouble from a new car

- My families old Chevy Lumina 92 went into the shop just about every other week, i remember the AC died after only a year or two, the car would leak huge amounts of oil, the problem would be fixed and 2weeks later it would leak oil again, i dont thnk this car lasted past 100,00 miles.

dawks

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
There have been reports of 134 minor injuries related to this condition but no crashes or fatalities, the company said.

Interesting. So it seems people are standing on the tailgates. Our older Silverado has the 1 inch wide steel reinforcement arms and I always avoid (when possible) standing on my tailgate when its down.

And yea, those steel ropes are only there to keep the tailgate from hitting the bumper when its lowered. They do nothing when the gate is closed. There are steel components similar to a deadbolt lock that handle that.

I doubt all 4,000,000 people are going to take their trucks in for somthing like this..

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: OverVolt
GM makes crap, examples:

- my fathers cadillac deville 2003 was recalled because the gas could potentially explode in the tank, the front brakes went out after only 6,500miles where when you would step on the brakes, the front of the car would shake left and right making it hard to control, it also has major engine problems i dont remember the specifics on that.

- My teachers Cavalier has been in the shop 5times since he bought the car new in Dec 2003, i dont know what for but 5times is a lot of trouble from a new car

- My families old Chevy Lumina 92 went into the shop just about every other week, i remember the AC died after only a year or two, the car would leak huge amounts of oil, the problem would be fixed and 2weeks later it would leak oil again, i dont thnk this car lasted past 100,00 miles.

My family has owned at least 6 GM cars over the past 10 or so years without any major issues.

bernse

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Ugh you don't get it, these children are making it out to be this huge issue, it's a fuggin cable.. got it now?

I said it was going to cost GM Big $$$ (which it is), and that's about the extent of it... I don't see anyone else making a big deal out of it other than you.
:confused:

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001

wow! thanks!!!! i had no idea that's what they were talking about!!!!! i was really in the dark, but thanks to you, LAUST, i am now fully in-the-know. what a real lifesaver you are. i couldn't have done it without you. especially since i, like most people, have never seen a pickup truck before in my life.

now that i know what they're talking about, i can safely say

RECALL RECALL THEY SUCK

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000

I said it was going to cost GM Big $$$ (which it is), and that's about the extent of it... I don't see anyone else making a big deal out of it other than you.
:confused:

why is it going to cost GM big???? they will pass the cost down to the manufacturer of the cable, and that manufacturer probably was not GM. so in the end, it costs the small guy the most.

MIKE

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: K1052

My family has owned at least 6 GM cars over the past 10 or so years without any major issues.

i would hope not, seeing as how you went through 6+ cars in just 10 years. make that one car and 15-20 years, and see how you do.