whoa! France votes to ban veils and burqas

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
LOL what a fool. Islam is a fascist religion not a race. Are you really this ignorant?

No, but I bet you if France said they would ban Hindus from wearing the fertility dot on their forehead or christians from putting the ash on their forehead we would still also be talking about race in a European country

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
No, but I bet you if France said they would ban Hindus from wearing the fertility dot on their forehead or christians from putting the ash on their forehead we would still also be talking about race in a European country

We're not talking about race though we're talking specifically about religion. If you assign a race to a religion that's on you and no one else. Only an idiot would assume all Muslims are Arab considering the largest Muslim nation in the world is quite the distance away from the Arabian Peninsula.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Wow, you must not follow European politics. The ultra far-right has turned into the mainstream quite a few years ago.

The bill may be reasonable if it was not tainted by the debate and history in the legislation process. Not wanting people to cover their face could perhaps be reasonable. However, the intent here was pure bigotry.

Racism, bigotry, xenophobia, and other related social ills have become quite predominant in European society and governments. It really is one of the largest security threats to the United States. The swirling of anti-Americanism in Europe (especially France) combined with society and government wanting eradication of certain classes of people creates terrorists and instability.

If the world doesn't act now, we will be attacked by terrorists or have to go into Europe yet again and deal with yet another European genocide.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
I know what you're saying. I was surprised too. For anyone paying attention, the Muslim faith is gaining an enormous foothold in many European nations. That's fine, but they're getting very vocal and putting a lot of pressure on governments to adopt their way of life. Sharia law, etc. That's wrong. I'm glad to see at least one European nation standing up to them and saying no.

They're doing more than "standing up to them and saying no." They're sowing the seeds of a genocide.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
It sucks that they're reverting to telling people what they can and cannot wear. It also sucks that they feel threatened by their migrant population. I think these European countries need to make it perfectly clear to the migrant populations that they will not be adopting their cultures and laws into their government and if the migrants want to live there they need to just accept the fact or they can fuck off. Europe is a very different place than here in the States. Everyone clamors about racism, xenophobia, etc here in the States, but I think we're close to the top of the list when it comes to acceptance of race and culture.

Much of the European Muslims population are not migrants. They were born there.

Why shouldn't they adopt cultures and laws into their government? Their demographics are changing. Governments need to address new issues coming in from changing demographics. That doesn't mean embrace something such as sharia, but there are certainly other issues that can be embraced as they fit within the established framework of the country.

Last edited:

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Much of the European Muslims population are not migrants. They were born there.

Why shouldn't they adopt cultures and laws into their government? Their demographics are changing. Governments need to address new issues coming in from changing demographics. That doesn't mean embrace something such as sharia, but there are certainly other issues that can be embraced as they fit within the established framework of the country.

It's true that France has had a Muslim population for awhile, but there are still few million Muslim migrants to France. France isn't the only place this is happening in either. If the French don't want it they can tell them to fuck off. They should not have to adapt for foreign culture, laws, or society if they do not wish to. Religion has no place in law of man anyways.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
It's true that France has had a Muslim population for awhile, but there are still few million Muslim migrants to France. France isn't the only place this is happening in either. If the French don't want it they can tell them to fuck off. They should not have to adapt for foreign culture, laws, or society if they do not wish to. Religion has no place in law of man anyways.

It's not about wanting to change. It's about needing to change.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
It's not about wanting to change. It's about needing to change.

Change isn't always for the best, pros and cons must be weighed and they are being weighed currently. You're thinking to little of the Europeans imo.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
france and most other european countries are horribly racist. It's government funded racism

Another muslim sympathizer...when in Rome do as the romans do...obey their laws and customs...

Just because you practice islam does not mean you are fraking special...

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Change isn't always for the best, pros and cons must be weighed and they are being weighed currently.

Yes, they are being weighed. And acting like the Taliban by imposing dress requirements for women is certainly not in the interests of most countries.

You're thinking to little of the Europeans imo.

Yes, their governmental policies tend to be the among the worst in the world.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Wow, you must not follow European politics. The ultra far-right has turned into the mainstream quite a few years ago.

The bill may be reasonable if it was not tainted by the debate and history in the legislation process. Not wanting people to cover their face could perhaps be reasonable. However, the intent here was pure bigotry.

Racism, bigotry, xenophobia, and other related social ills have become quite predominant in European society and governments. It really is one of the largest security threats to the United States. The swirling of anti-Americanism in Europe (especially France) combined with society and government wanting eradication of certain classes of people creates terrorists and instability.

If the world doesn't act now, we will be attacked by terrorists or have to go into Europe yet again and deal with yet another European genocide.

When were you last in a European country? :hmm:

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Anyways, I read that some countries over there are having issues with men dressing like women and covering their faces then committing crimes. Many felt this was a good enough reason to bring this up.
Did this really happen or is this just a concern?
I remember saying that in a previous thread. If I did something against the law and police were looking for me, I would wear a full burqa.

In that last thread we also discussed how burqas are already against the law in a lot of places of the US and elsewhere, technically. Lots of places have laws against wearing masks or covering your face for security reasons. The reason nobody knows this is because there aren't many people wearing burqas in North America. It's also against the law to have a tinted driver side window in my city because it prevents people from identifying the driver.

Overall the french are right. Even if it's not against the law, people going out of their way to hide their identity should be hassled by police. You'll get hassled just as bad if you wear a mask in public, wear a motorcycle helmet when you're walking on the sidewalk, covering your face with your jacket, or wearing a ski mask when it's not winter.

joker-ski-mask-1.jpg

Don't mind me, officer. I'm not a sex offender wearing a mask so people can't report that I'm near a school. I just like covering my face.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Hahaha. People like you are ruining your once-fine country. Lollerskates.

There's the written rules and the unwritten rules. An example of an unwritten rule is to not act like a total heatbag when you see police. Oh shit it's the cops, hide your face!! Drop the bag out the window and start running even though he doesn't suspect you yet! Obviously acting like that draws a lot of attention and you can expect to be questioned when you do things like that.

If someone is wearing a full length burqa, what are the most likely reasons for this?
1. they are hiding their face because there is a warrant for their arrest
2. they are hiding a weapon
3. they are hiding their face because they are about to commit a crime
4. they are trying to steal something
95. they are muslim

I know lots of muslims but I have never met a muslim who wears a burqa. Never. If i saw a burqa, I would immediately suspect it's actually a criminal since most muslims do not wear burqas.

This is what a muslim woman looks like:

iranfash480a.jpg

This is what a shoplifting terrorist carrying a bomb looks like:

204811235_357e16202c.jpg

Oct 27, 2007
Actually I happened to be on IM with a Muslim friend of mine when I came across this thread and sent the article to her asking for her opinion.

Me What do you think of this?
http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/07/14/france-moves-toward-a-burqa-ban/

Her I don't get why they wear it in countries where it's not part of the local culture since wearing a headscarf is enough. But I also don't know why they felt they had to ban it in this way.
Me They did say that only 1,900 out of 5,000,000 French Muslims wear it. I just think it's unthinkable for a government to mandate wardrobe like this, regardless of religious connotations.
Her Didn't they ban religious symbols from schools a few years earlier too?
Me I don't know

She wears a headscarf.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Another muslim sympathizer...when in Rome do as the romans do...obey their laws and customs...

Just because you practice islam does not mean you are fraking special...

Somehow if they enacted anti-semitic laws (something Europe is getting closer and closer to) I doubt you'd feel the same way.