WHOA! Check out this *PIC* of a Giant Sunspot!!!!!!!!!!!

ScoobMaster

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2001
Awesome looking Pic!!!!!!!!!
Giant sunspot 720 (and a passing airplane) photographed by amateur astronomer Jan Koeman of the Netherlands on Jan. 15, 2005.

Five days later, on January 20th, 2005, "NOAA 720" exploded. The blast sparked an X-class solar flare, the most powerful kind, and hurled a billion-ton cloud of electrified gas (a "coronal mass ejection") into space. Solar protons accelerated to nearly light speed by the explosion reached the Earth-Moon system minutes after the flare--the beginning of a days-long "proton storm."

More detailed story about the blast

Gallery of Aurora's caused by this explosion

*PIC* One of my Favs - SURREAL looking snow patterns and Aurora

*PIC* Spooky!

*PIC* WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lavagirl669

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2004
Originally posted by: ScoobMaster
Awesome looking Pic!!!!!!!!!
Giant sunspot 720 (and a passing airplane) photographed by amateur astronomer Jan Koeman of the Netherlands on Jan. 15, 2005.

Five days later, on January 20th, 2005, "NOAA 720" exploded. The blast sparked an X-class solar flare, the most powerful kind, and hurled a billion-ton cloud of electrified gas (a "coronal mass ejection") into space. Solar protons accelerated to nearly light speed by the explosion reached the Earth-Moon system minutes after the flare--the beginning of a days-long "proton storm."

More on the blast

Gallery of Aurora's caused by this explosion

One of my Favs - SURREAL looking snow patterns and Aurora

Spooky!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:Q

Cristatus

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2004
i wish they were of higher res (i.e.: bigger, not quality wise). /me wants it as a wallpaper.

Bootprint

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Triumph

Having never seen the Northern Lights in person, I have a hard time believing that it actually looks like this, instead of just some photographic trickery. Long exposure, slow film speed, etc.

The ones I've seen usually aren't that bright and the only way to take a picture is to use a slower shutter speed. But they do look sort of like that just a little dimmer, like a giant curtain fluttering.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
That takes some patience and a lot of luck to get a shot like that. Very very nice!