Who would win in a fight...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
From our argument....this one pertaining to Grizzly's(thus taking out the distinct advantage of the ice). I thought it was the best post in the argument.

Shark advantages:

-fulled immersed in the water (natural habitat)
-large mouth with plentiful, sharp teeth
-if the bear begins to bleed, shark will enter frenzy
-can attack by jumping out of water

Bear advantages:

-able bodied in water and land (this situation constitutes land in the sense that the bear can stand and more than 50% of its frame will be above water)
-ferocious
-extremely strong with sharp claws/teeth

Shark disadvantages:

-turning to attack the bear will be difficult
-natural reflex of releasing whatever is in its mouth if object strikes its snout
-very vulnerable on its body after its mouth has gone past the bear

Bear disadvantages:

-may not have full range of movement due to impedance of the water
-large body area vulnerable to attack

Here is the deal:

The shark will attempt to attack the bear head on resulting in a response from the bear in which one of two things will happen:

1) the bear attempts to strike the shark head on resulting in damage to both parties
2) the bear attempts to avoid the sharks attack resulting in a glancing blow from the bear on the shark and some bodily damage to the bear

Either way the bear will enter a frenzy (as will the shark). The blood in the water will cause the shark to attack violently, which the bear will do also. The bear will thrash its arms at the shark, which would either:

1) damage the eyes
2) damage eyes, nose
3) leave the shark with superficial wounds

The shark will continue to attempt to bite the bear at close range until it feels a regrouping is necessary. If the bear has landed a blow to the sharks snout, then the shark will be temporarily disabled and open for a severe beating. Even if the eyes are damaged and the nose is not, then the shark will continue to attack the bear.

If the shark attempts a regrouping, depending on the damage caused to both of them, then this could become a loop until one of the two is dead.

The shark will win if it can seriously impare the bear's arms, which will be difficult because the bear will be protecting its arms. The shark has no choice but to attack from the front, leaving the rest of its body vulnerable to attack once it swims past, giving the bear great oppurtunity to land serious blows.

The bear will win because of its ability to withstand a direct attack from the shark and be defensively offensive with his extreme strength. He has a high percentage chance of landing a strike to the snout of the shark, causing the shark to be temporarily disabled and damaged greatly.

The bear will be hurt, and may eventually die of his wounds, but he would definitely be the victor in that the shark will die first.

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Anyone who said shark is rearded and therefore must burn in hell for all eternity forever and ever amen.
A shark has one (read, 1) way to attack which is to bite. A bear, oto, has big nasty teeth and a bunch of claws to boot.

A bear would tear it's ass up.

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Originally posted by: JoeKing
pfft this argument has nothing on the couger vs. bear argument.

BTW couger would definatly win.

You're on crack and you've obviously no idea just how big a grizly is.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I gotta say, I just read through the entire grizzly bear conversation, and its much funnier than this one.

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Excelsior
This is a waste of time.

and yet here you are, posting on a computer hardware analysis website's forum about how pointless it is to talk about something meaningless in the Off Topic section. Yer dumb.

Calin

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by: meltdown75
the bear wins, but only b/c it is a polar bear and has amazing swimming skills.

All the bear has to do is wait. Sharks (as cold-blooded fish) don't live too well in cold water (as patches of ice would suggest).
I don't know very much about shark attacks, but I would think sharks use depth to attack (they rise and turn belly up so their mouth is above their head).
However, let's consider warmer water and a grizzly :D

Calin

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Mrvile
Originally posted by: Landroval
The shark will piss itself before approaching the bear

...can a shark even piss itself? :confused:

I was going to say piss its pants, but that wouldn't work either :p The point being: I don't believe a shark would knowingly attack a polar bear.

You won't believe how many things sharks will attack :disgust: they've been found with things like alligators and car engines in their stomachs.

I don't think a shark would retain enough floatability after eating a car engine.

Calin

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by: 91TTZ

You won't believe how many things sharks will attack :disgust: they've been found with things like alligators and car engines in their stomachs.

But I bet the car engine put up a good fight.

ROFL :D

Calin

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Originally posted by: Mo0o
Shark. The polar bear probably wont be able to scratch through the shark's skin. Plus the Shark is probably bigger

A regular kodiak or grizzly bear can rip into the sheet metal of a car like it's a candy wrapper. I don't see how shark skin is going to be tougher than metal.

Polar bear's claws are greatly inferior to grizzly's, by size (2 inches as compared to 6 inches) and possibly strength (as the only thing a polar bear would slice with its claws would be seal skin, bear skin or ice)

Calin

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Deeko
Originally posted by: silverpig
Grizzly bear easily, polar bear almost as easily.

The bears have a bone density that is almost on par with steel. Sharks are made of cartilage. Take a piece of rebar and beat the sh1t out of a cardboard box and you have your match.

Grizzly bear is probably the scariest bear around. One swipe of the paw can take someone's head off. Although the grizzly isn't as edept a swimmer as the polar bear, I'm sure it could quickly take out a shark.

The grizzly was the first fight, but considering polar bears are bigger, more accustomed to swimming, and more accustomed to fighting in the water, we switched it to polar bear.

Polar bears don't fight in the water - they usually wait at the shore for their prey. And being bigger don't make them better fighters - just take into consideration a battle between a supertanker and a destroyer (with some 100:1 weight difference)

Calin

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Calin
Originally posted by: meltdown75
the bear wins, but only b/c it is a polar bear and has amazing swimming skills.

All the bear has to do is wait. Sharks (as cold-blooded fish) don't live too well in cold water (as patches of ice would suggest).
I don't know very much about shark attacks, but I would think sharks use depth to attack (they rise and turn belly up so their mouth is above their head).
However, let's consider warmer water and a grizzly :D

EDIT: white sharks are able to regulate their internal temperature (so very cold water is not a problem in a short term engagement)

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
This is a waste of time.

YOU'RE a waste of time. This is a great debate of scientific minds.

:laugh: Sorry I insulted you and this great scientific debate.

I'll say the bear.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: jjzelinski
This is a waste of time.

and yet here you are, posting on a computer hardware analysis website's forum about how pointless it is to talk about something meaningless in the Off Topic section. Yer dumb.

Relax man, I never insulted you, so why insult me?

And I promise you, I am certainly not as dumb as you.

Not saying you are dumb or anything...but yeah.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
License plates, yes. Engines, no.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
This is a waste of time.

YOU'RE a waste of time. This is a great debate of scientific minds.

:laugh: Sorry I insulted you and this great scientific debate.

I'll say the bear.

Damn straight.

geecee

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
Gordon Freeman. Or Master Chief for that matter. :p

Is the shark hungry? Is the polar bear hungry? Trying to from an opinion here. :)

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jjzelinski
Originally posted by: JoeKing
pfft this argument has nothing on the couger vs. bear argument.

BTW couger would definatly win.

You're on crack and you've obviously no idea just how big a grizly is.

Grizzley can't do jack crap if it can't catch the couger! The couger has speed and agility, it'll wear the bear down.

Though I was really thinking more of black bears in my orginal argument, now that I think of it a couger could probably take a grizzley also!

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
The shark will piss itself before approaching the bear

...can a shark even piss itself? :confused:

I was going to say piss its pants, but that wouldn't work either :p The point being: I don't believe a shark would knowingly attack a polar bear.

I don't think sharks have any fear, since they don't have any natural enemies (I won't count humans since they don't live in the water). They'll attack anything, they don't seem to put any thought into it. They're kind of like alligators- primitive, fearless, and work off instinct.

I saw a video of a bullshark attacking a boat's outboard motor.

Bears, on the other hand, are calculating hunters. I'd think the bear would figure out how to beat a predictable shark. It reminds me of a "fight" I saw between a lion and a crocodile. The lion jumped on the crock's back and started biting its neck. The crock just sat there and did nothing except held its mouth open, waiting to strike.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
the shark for sure. tiny sharks have already been eating people in waist high water. i'm sure a larger shark would eat a polar bear in that type of water as well.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: HumblePie
Why are you guys arguing with a great white and a polar bear? Great whites are tropical, warm ocean critters. Now, orchids and polar bears have run-ins all the time. It's about 50/50 too who wins..

Wow, orchids defeat polar bears half the time? That's pretty impressive. And I thought venus flytraps were neat!