Who would win in a fight...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Landroval

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Lord Evermore
Just wait until it shows up on Animal Planet. (I think that's the channel where they make two robotic animals to see which one would win in a fight.)

I doubt a bear could lift a shark out of the water. I assume we're talking "average" sizes for each animal; a great white is still large, even if not Jaws. Given enough water for the shark to move and not be unfairly hindered, the bear would have to actually swim if he fell in, and then the shark would be at the advantage, due to having better maneuverability and speed of attack.

Of course, the shark would probably have frozen to death by the time it got near the bear. I don't know if the arctic is a natural habitat for sharks (unless the ice the bear is on is rapidly melting).

It might all depend on which of them "flinches" first and makes the first move. The shark of course is entirely not designed to attack a land animal and doesn't have any techniques to do so -- if it tried to shoot out of the water at the bear, it could get stuck on land. The bear at least has the instinct for hunting fish, but nothing nearly that large in that much water. I don't think polar bears hunt walruses by chasing them down underwater. (A walruses tusks might be more dangerous than a shark though, because of the reach and ability to turn the head.)

Good points.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Mo0o
Shark. The polar bear probably wont be able to scratch through the shark's skin. Plus the Shark is probably bigger

A regular kodiak or grizzly bear can rip into the sheet metal of a car like it's a candy wrapper. I don't see how shark skin is going to be tougher than metal.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I think between a polar bear and a great white ... it would depend upon the size of the specimen.

If it wasa a Large male polar bear (1700 pounds, 10 feet tall) vs a large great white shark (7000+ pounds, 20+ feet long) I think the great white would win pretty easily. It would get scratched up, however, the sheer sive difference alone is a huge factor.

If it was a Large male polar bear, fighting against a great white shark in the same "weight class" it would be a much closer match, and I think the Polar bear may be able to pull it off. I'd say a slight advangate to the shark, but overall a very close fight.

Of course a large Saltwater crocodile, at about 21 feet of length, and 2500 pounds would tear up a polar bear and be the only real challenge to an adult Great White shark IMO.

This link may be interesting on this subject as well. http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/animalfaceoff/challenge/challenge1.html

Your friends have been arguing about this for weeks?
You meathead frat boys are amusing.

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
Originally posted by: BurnItDwn
I think between a polar bear and a great white ... it would depend upon the size of the specimen.

If it wasa a Large male polar bear (1700 pounds, 10 feet tall) vs a large great white shark (7000+ pounds, 20+ feet long) I think the great white would win pretty easily. It would get scratched up, however, the sheer sive difference alone is a huge factor.

If it was a Large male polar bear, fighting against a great white shark in the same "weight class" it would be a much closer match, and I think the Polar bear may be able to pull it off. I'd say a slight advangate to the shark, but overall a very close fight.

Of course a large Saltwater crocodile, at about 21 feet of length, and 2500 pounds would tear up a polar bear and be the only real challenge to an adult Great White shark IMO.

This link may be interesting on this subject as well. http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/animalfaceoff/challenge/challenge1.html

Nah, crocs are weak. As soon as they're upside down, they're pretty much dead.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Grizzly bear easily, polar bear almost as easily.

The bears have a bone density that is almost on par with steel. Sharks are made of cartilage. Take a piece of rebar and beat the sh1t out of a cardboard box and you have your match.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: BurnItDwn

I guess you didn't see the tiger vs croc video posted a while back? The croc got pwned.

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
Originally posted by: silverpig

The bears have a bone density that is almost on par with steel. Sharks are made of cartilage. Take a piece of rebar and beat the sh1t out of a cardboard box and you have your match.

Grizzly bear is probably the scariest bear around. One swipe of the paw can take someone's head off. Although the grizzly isn't as edept a swimmer as the polar bear, I'm sure it could quickly take out a shark.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Why are you guys arguing with a great white and a polar bear? Great whites are tropical, warm ocean critters. Now, orchids and polar bears have run-ins all the time. It's about 50/50 too who wins. A polar bear CAN pull a full size whale out of the water, and they love to eat boluga whales. An orchid can also cut a polar bear in half basically if it gets the right jump.

So, the answer is a moot point.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Mrvile

Grizzly bear is probably the scariest bear around. One swipe of the paw can take someone's head off. Although the grizzly isn't as edept a swimmer as the polar bear, I'm sure it could quickly take out a shark.

The grizzly was the first fight, but considering polar bears are bigger, more accustomed to swimming, and more accustomed to fighting in the water, we switched it to polar bear.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: HumblePie
Why are you guys arguing with a great white and a polar bear? Great whites are tropical, warm ocean critters. Now, orchids and polar bears have run-ins all the time. It's about 50/50 too who wins. A polar bear CAN pull a full size whale out of the water, and they love to eat boluga whales. An orchid can also cut a polar bear in half basically if it gets the right jump.

Dude, an orchid is a delicate flower. I have one growing on my window sill.

You're thinking of an orca aka killer whale. And yeah, those things eat whatever they want. They eat great whites all the time.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Deeko

The grizzly was the first fight, but considering polar bears are bigger, more accustomed to swimming, and more accustomed to fighting in the water, we switched it to polar bear.

'cept polar bears have a lighter bone structure and much smaller claws...

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004

You're thinking of an orca aka killer whale. And yeah, those things eat whatever they want. They eat great whites all the time.

Hahahahhaha...goes to show that no one reads "Senior Member" posts :p

Landroval

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2005

Hahahahhaha...goes to show that no one reads "Senior Member" posts :p

He was having a "Senior Moment" :D

Velk

Jul 29, 2004

The only way the fight can occur in the first place is if the bear is in the water - and in the water it has no hope against the shark due to poor mobility, worse speed and inability to breathe underwater.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001

Looks like they could almost meet around the tip of Alaska that juts out....

Polar Bear

shark

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
the bear sees the shark and can easily wipe out the shark with his claws, depending where he hits.

I think both MIGHT have about the same chances.
The shark has to jump out of the water to attack the bear on the ice.
The bear is elevated and has to hit/bite down to the shark in the water. Or he could jump right into the water and fight a 1:1.

Hmmm..tough...but i'd give the bear an edge. And the bear is used to eat/catch fish. Except that the shark is taller :)

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
pfft this argument has nothing on the couger vs. bear argument.

BTW couger would definatly win.