Who will not be purchasing Far Cry 2 because of its DRM?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
My stance is that there are a lot of great games and I will purchase only ones with little or no DRM.

If that means no FC2, too bad for them, NOT me. I can find plenty of great games to play, I won't miss out at all. They will miss out on my $$$, however.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Frankdaatank24

And now to all the guys that say "Quit whinning and just buy it". Boycotting and complaining does work. Remember when Sony packaged their DRM on all their CD's that they produced? And remember when Sony caught enough flak and sales dropped that they disbanded it? Yea, I remember, and yea I won't be buying any game that has this type of DRM packed with it until they patch it.

The boycott was because people couldn't play their cd's on computer optical drives / rip music from the cd. What they tried to do is prevent average joes from ripping the music from their cd and bit-torrenting it to eleventybillion other people.

The only message that you will send is gamers will not buy PC games anymore - so the publishers will just develop games for the consoles.

Unfortunately - DRM is not going away. Activation limits probably won't go away either. I predict this will change to online activation required, 1 install per person, no resell value [kinda like how it works when you play an MMO or buying a game from STEAM].

Oct 14, 2008
Yea thats a double-edged sword with Steam. Once you buy the game, your stuck with it. You can't let your friend borrow it, and you sure as hell can't take it to gamestop to get a trade in. And yea, I'm not cool with $54.00 rentals either. I just wish there weren't conglomerate publishers like EA who push for this kind of bullshit to keep investors happy. Nevermind the people that buy their product, its all about cash.

Now as far as consoles being the ultimate DRM, how so? Is it only because of specifc titles being released on specific systems? Or what? I know there was talk about the 360 games only being able to play on a specific system once upon a time.

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003
I dont think DRM is used to deter piracy... i mean this multimillion dollar companies obviously know that their games are being cracked so easily. I think the DRM is to deter resale and reuse of their products. Which sucks more, cause i like to resell my games to buy more.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Originally posted by: QueBert
Originally posted by: DarkForceRising
Originally posted by: CrazyLazy
Why not just buy the game to support the developer, and then pirate it if you want more installs?

Because it also supports the publisher, and they'll just think that nobody cares enough not to buy it. And then they'll look at the piracy statistics, which just went up, and then say "We need more drm to help fix this." The problem gets worse from there.

if you don't buy it, they will go "nobody is buying our game, fuck PC's!" not "nobody is buying our game maybe we should take the DRM out"

Yep. Damned if you do, damned if you don't

Originally posted by: DefRef
Nah. I suggest that the whiny emos just stop crossing the street and run down the block and save the Internet the hassle of transporting their self-pitying nonsense. This is just twerps making a lot of noise to justify their inevitable piracy. "O noez!!! tEh DRMs iz teh h4X!!!11! Ima gonna w4r3z0rz it cos ima gona teech them, a lessen!11!eleven!1!" Bore. Ring.

You're whining more than the "whiny emos".

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Well, I bought it and didn't realize there was SecuROM on it until I was done installing it and tried starting it... so DRM doesn't stop me from an enjoyable game.

yuppiejr

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: DefRef
Nah. I suggest that the whiny emos just stop crossing the street and run down the block and save the Internet the hassle of transporting their self-pitying nonsense. This is just twerps making a lot of noise to justify their inevitable piracy. "O noez!!! tEh DRMs iz teh h4X!!!11! Ima gonna w4r3z0rz it cos ima gona teech them, a lessen!11!eleven!1!" Bore. Ring.

NEEERRRRDDDDD RRRRAAAGGGEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!