Who will I vote for a do nothing Democrat or President Trump

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
How does Pi hole update?
Is it an auto update kind of thing or do you need to swap the sd card?

pi-hole blocking list is easiest to update via the gui. Like @sdifox said, using sudo apt update and/or upgrade for program updates.

pi-hole is simply a service. it's a program like any other that runs on an OS. the OS it runs on is mostly debian flavor of linux, so when you do updates, you're really doing linux type updates and upgrades.

Feb 4, 2009
Upon reading appears the pi hole updates its list of ip filtering weekly automatically.
Updating the OS cannot easily be set to auto update.
Not so concerned about OS updates for this. I really don’t want to connect this to a monitor to run updates. I’d prefer to set it up, point my google WiFi to it then let it run without messing with it too often.
Sound right?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Upon reading appears the pi hole updates its list of ip filtering weekly automatically.
Not so concerned about OS updates for this. I really don’t want to connect this to a monitor to run updates. I’d prefer to set it up, point my google WiFi to it then let it run without messing with it too often.
Sound right?

eh? you can remote in with vncviewer

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Sound right?

Yea it does. Once a month, use putty to ssh in to the Linux install and run the following commands. No GUI required.

sudo apt get update
sudo apt get upgrade

When you setup the Linux host, you'll keep the root password and your user password for later. when you login to the host, use the user name and password. when you type sudo, then it gives you root access for that command, and will prompt you for the root password

Feb 4, 2009
eh? you can remote in with vncviewer
Yea it does. Once a month, use putty to ssh in to the Linux install and run the following commands. No GUI required.

sudo apt get update
sudo apt get upgrade

When you setup the Linux host, you'll keep the root password and your user password for later. when you login to the host, use the user name and password. when you type sudo, then it gives you root access for that command, and will prompt you for the root password

You guys need to dumb this down

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Anyone else getting bombarded with #MAGA ads on AT?
I thought it might have to do with my browser history but AT is literally the only place I see these ads & baited surveys.

View attachment 18467

Hahahahaha .. they made his hand bigger again. What a bunch of low T losers.
and Bidens and Sanders smaller? AAAAAAAAAhahahahahahaahahha

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I have two old desktops but both are pretty power hungry for that.
Once things settle I’ll make a Microcenter run for a Pii I’m pretty interested in this project.
Just Amazon a Pi. Ezpz. Can be running within like 5 minutes of getting the image on an SD card.

Feb 4, 2009
Just Amazon a Pi. Ezpz. Can be running within like 5 minutes of getting the image on an SD card.

I like Microcenter and they are cheaper than Amazon (for one). I like to support good places, I just don't like heading into the City ATM.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Well, ok, did you know those are months or years old?
The Daily Show was trying to fill air time so they flung a bunch of old clips together.
Nothing there is new.

You are right, there is nothing new in those clips, trump supporters have always been morons, right?

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
America has a second pandemic that most countries are not having to deal with.

The first of course is COVID-19

The second, and much more dangerous is the pandemic of raging and complete stupidity of Trump and the fucking idiots that still worship this fool as if he were the son of some imaginary god.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
I'm getting bombarded too. It's a funny add because Biden and Joe are clearly talking passionately about something and Trump is literally doing nothing.