Who will be VP on McCain ticket? McCain/Huckabee

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Obama/Clinton ticket? :laugh:

no f'ing way.

but to answer the OP... amongst the current and previous candidates, I think Huckabee is the most likely. if it's not Huckabee, it'll be some other (relatively) young governor from a southern or mid-western state.

McCain/Crist would certainly be interesting.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
MCCAIN AND HUCKABEE WILL NOT RUN TOGETHER

CLINTON AND OBAMA WILL NOT RUN TOGETHER

Who comes up with this crap.. Huckabee is a nutcase that will bring down a campaign with talk of turning the Constitution into a Bible. There are other people who can draw Evangelicals if that is what is needed. Obama is not a VP-type candidate, and would demonize himself if he joined the Clinton ticket. Clinton is a horrible VP choice because she is so divisive and ruins Obama's unity message.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I would consider voting for McCain if he wins the republican nomination - but not if Huckabee is his VP. Not a chance. Huckabee is a nutbag. I have no problem with him being religious, or his religion shaping his views - but some of his comments show a frightening lack of respect towards separation of church and state. I will never vote for a ticket that includes Huckabee.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Let me adjust what I said.. there is a very small chance Huckabee gets the VP slot.. if he plays kingmaker and pushes himself on the ticket. However I'm wondering if Romney and McCain would both agree to leave him off the ticket for the sake of saving the Republican's chances.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Farang

Who comes up with this crap.. Huckabee is a nutcase that will bring down a campaign with talk of turning the Constitution into a Bible. There are other people who can draw Evangelicals if that is what is needed. Obama is not a VP-type candidate, and would demonize himself if he joined the Clinton ticket. Clinton is a horrible VP choice because she is so divisive and ruins Obama's unity message.

If its a brokered convention. Huckabee WILL be the VP.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007

Huckabee didn't do anything like that in the 10 freaking years he was governor, why the hell would that change now? I swear, some of you people are so stupid when it comes to OMG NOT THE CHRISTIANS THEY WILL PASS LAWS TO FORCE US INTO CHURCH AND THEIR PSYCHO RELIGION!

idiots.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ

Huckabee didn't do anything like that in the 10 freaking years he was governor, why the hell would that change now? I swear, some of you people are so stupid when it comes to OMG NOT THE CHRISTIANS THEY WILL PASS LAWS TO FORCE US INTO CHURCH AND THEIR PSYCHO RELIGION!

idiots.

you clearly missed his speech where he very clearly and plainly said we should change the constitution to fit god's will, because it's easier to change the constitution than it is to change god's will.

If that isn't the opposite of separation of chuch/state, I don't know what is.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003

idiots.

Do you pay attention to the campaigns at all? Huckabee has made numerous remarks regarding integrating Christian principles into government, including changing the Constitution to fit "God's standards." This isn't paranoia, I'm basing my judgment off things he has said.

All of the candidates are Christians, you don't see me bitching about Romney's Mormonism, for example, because he hasn't injected it into his policy proposals.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
McCain/Huckabee seems like a pretty plausible scenario.

they teamed up in NH to take down Romney, with great success, and they're on pretty friendly terms. it also helps McCain rebuild some of the bridges he's burned with evangelicals, and I like the idea of a guy with executive experience sitting a heartbeat away from the presidency.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Let me adjust what I said.. there is a very small chance Huckabee gets the VP slot.. if he plays kingmaker and pushes himself on the ticket. However I'm wondering if Romney and McCain would both agree to leave him off the ticket for the sake of saving the Republican's chances.

At least some of you see that it is all about the party.

Clinton has a lot of pwerful allies so Obama would be forced to take her as the VP should he get the delegate count.

Looks like he will because Clinton only has part of the northeast (missing Massachusetts is critical) and Florida was dumped out of the delegate count.

Of course the Clintons will take the delegate issue to the USSC but it will be too late just like too late for Gore.

As far as Republicans retaining their evangelical edge, don't see Romney doing it for them.

Huckabee as nuts as he is, is the best choice they've got now along with the old soldier.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Deeko

idiots.

you clearly missed his speech where he very clearly and plainly said we should change the constitution to fit god's will, because it's easier to change the constitution than it is to change god's will.

If that isn't the opposite of separation of chuch/state, I don't know what is.

You link me to that speech and I will point out how you took what he said out of context.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007

idiots.

Do you pay attention to the campaigns at all? Huckabee has made numerous remarks regarding integrating Christian principles into government, including changing the Constitution to fit "God's standards." This isn't paranoia, I'm basing my judgment off things he has said.

All of the candidates are Christians, you don't see me bitching about Romney's Mormonism, for example, because he hasn't injected it into his policy proposals.

You mean that Huckabee supports an amendment to ban gay marriage and/or abortion, which would be God's will? I'm shocked... isn't that the stance of the GOP in general?

Also, I do pay attention. I've watched almost each R debate twice.

And edit again. Romney is injecting his religion into it, but without saying it... it's all in his stance on abortion and gay marriage.

Huckabee is not going to force your belief in God. His stance aligns with the GOP, except he just admits why he believes what he believes.

misle

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
I wonder about a McCain / Thompson ticket. They are supposed to be buddies, so that may be in the cards. Plus, Thompson has the Reagan conservative background that McCain is missing.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: misle
I wonder about a McCain / Thompson ticket. They are supposed to be buddies, so that may be in the cards. Plus, Thompson has the Reagan conservative background that McCain is missing.

He might have to because he is out of work with the writers strike.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

idiots.

Oh really??? From that link...

"I have opponents in this race," he said, "who do not want to change the Constitution. But I believe it's a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God. And that's what we need to do?to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards so it lines up with some contemporary view of how we treat each other and how we treat the family."

No thank you. :thumbsdown:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

:thumbsup:

Seriously, only McOwen can come up with nutball BS like any of those candidates running together.

A more likely scenario would be McCain/Romney vs. Obama/Edwards.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007

You link me to that speech and I will point out how you took what he said out of context.

http://forums.anandtech.com/me...id=52&threadid=2142910

See the second bolded paragraph. That's pretty tough to take out of context. As I said in that thread - he can propose those constitutional bans all he wants, that's not my issue, my issue is his rationale that he explains very clearly.

So... he is talking about what I was talking about. He just is open about why he believes what he believes and isn't going to lie or deceive people or leave it out.

So you dismiss him because of his reasons behind it, even though all the other candidates are in agreement?

Robor: In general you would be against a ban on abortion or gay marriage anyway?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Vic

:thumbsup:

Seriously, only McOwen can come up with nutball BS like any of those candidates running together.

A more likely scenario would be McCain/Romney vs. Obama/Edwards.

We'll see what is brokered behind closed doors at the conventions.

Either way Obama wins the Oval Office seat.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

http://forums.anandtech.com/me...id=52&threadid=2142910

See the second bolded paragraph. That's pretty tough to take out of context. As I said in that thread - he can propose those constitutional bans all he wants, that's not my issue, my issue is his rationale that he explains very clearly.

So... he is talking about what he was talking about. He just is open about why he believes what he believes and isn't going to lie or deceive people or leave it out.

So you dismiss him because of his reasons behind it, even though all the other candidates are in agreement?

Which other candidates are in favor of amendments to ban abortion and same sex marriages?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

At least some of you see that it is all about the party.

Clinton has a lot of pwerful allies so Obama would be forced to take her as the VP should he get the delegate count.

Looks like he will because Clinton only has part of the northeast (missing Massachusetts is critical) and Florida was dumped out of the delegate count.

Of course the Clintons will take the delegate issue to the USSC but it will be too late just like too late for Gore.

As far as Republicans retaining their evangelical edge, don't see Romney doing it for them.

Huckabee as nuts as he is, is the best choice they've got now along with the old soldier.

there's a problem with your argument.

why the hell would Hillary even accept a VP slot? it's a demotion to go from a powerful senator to faceless automaton in a ceremonial post.

Obama's more VP material than Hillary is, and even then, it's a waste of a spot. what votes would either one get for the other that they wouldn't be getting anyways? the name of the game is how to win Ohio and/or Florida while still keeping every other state that Gore and Kerry won... and it's not like CA, NJ, NY, etc are in play.