Who will be the next president of the U.S.A

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Hillary Clinton. McCain will be the Giuliani of the general election. Except instead of 9-11 9-11 9-11, he'll be Iraq Iraq Iraq. People will get sick of him by November.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: senseamp
Hillary Clinton. McCain will be the Giuliani of the general election. Except instead of 9-11 9-11 9-11, he'll be Iraq Iraq Iraq. People will get sick of him by November.

Ugh I really hope not. I really cannot stand to hear her speak. Like.. I cringe and have to turn off the television. It really scares me to have to listen to her for 8 years. I can't stand to even think of the possibility.

I plan on moving out of the country anyway.. but if she is elected it'll surely expedite the process.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Nope. You couldn't be more naively wrong. He's going to run as a moderate in order to draw the independent/swing voters polarized by the Dem candidate (especially if that candidate is Billary). Iraq will be made into almost a non-issue. You can already see the right positioning him this way, saying he's somehow "too liberal," not a "real conservative," etc etc.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481
as much as you qq about it, that's why McCain's centrist views on some issues are the only hope republicans have.

Utah isn't going to vote democratic anymore than California would swing republican... but McCain can put more purple states into play than Romney can, if only because he hasn't run as far to the right as his principle rival.

the republican primaries are a funny thing... the harder you try to win the primary, the worse that sets you up for the general election when people are calling for bipartisanship. Mittens has done 180's on any view that might have helped him in the GE.

Well, that's just the way politics works. Both parties...all the candidates play to their base in the Primaries. Then when the GE begins, they start to moderate and drift more centrist. They don't have a choice, because one cannot appeal strictly to the hard line of either party and win a general election.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Vic

Nope. You couldn't be more naively wrong. He's going to run as a moderate in order to draw the independent/swing voters polarized by the Dem candidate (especially if that candidate is Billary). Iraq will be made into almost a non-issue. You can already see the right positioning him this way, saying he's somehow "too liberal," not a "real conservative," etc etc.

That's exactly my point though, it's not going to be Iraq, which is McCain's big issue now. Iraq is either going to be a liability for him if things turn sour, or it's going to be a non-issue if things are going well.
It's the economy again, and McCain is the stupid. Swing voters vote economic issues, especially if we are heading into a recession.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Pabster
Well, that's just the way politics works. Both parties...all the candidates play to their base in the Primaries. Then when the GE begins, they start to moderate and drift more centrist. They don't have a choice, because one cannot appeal strictly to the hard line of either party and win a general election.
Nor should they bother. The extremists in either party would vote straight ticket even if their party nominated Hitler or Stalin. So their votes are already in the bag. If a candidate wants to win, they have to appeal to the undecided middle.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Nor should they bother. The extremists in either party would vote straight ticket even if their party nominated Hitler or Stalin. So their votes are already in the bag. If a candidate wants to win, they have to appeal to the undecided middle.

Yep, kinda the point I was trying to make ;)

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
That's exactly my point though, it's not going to be Iraq, which is McCain's big issue now. Iraq is either going to be a liability for him if things turn sour, or it's going to be a non-issue if things are going well.
It's the economy again, and McCain is the stupid. Swing voters vote economic issues, especially if we are heading into a recession.
It really amazes me sometimes how you know only just enough about politics to be stupid.

If Iraq becomes a non-issue and the Dems nominate Hillary, then McCain will become the "change" candidate on the economy.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
If Iraq stays as is, amazingly McCain will actually be able to trumpet the surge, so it's not a lose-or-nothing for his candidacy. Ultimately, I have more confidence in him economically than either Hillary or Obama, but socially and foreign-relations wise I've more confidence in Obama. Hillary just brings nothing to the table for me.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: piasabird
I think the whole primary system is stupid.

However, if it comes to Hillary VS McCain, I think a lot of republicans will just not vote. Hard to tell which one is the worse for America. Clinton might be the better choice of the two, but they hate Clinton, so why bother even voting. If these are the two people we have to choose from the USA has already lost.

McCain.

He gets the Republican nomination.

Hillary gets the Democrat nomination.

You and others are wrong when you say many Republicans won't vote if McCain is the nominee for the Republicans. Not true. Only the far right, party line, too stupid to see the forest for the trees, haven't had an original thought in decades Republicans feel that he is some sort of traitor because he doesn't spew the same Jesus freak hard right views as they do. Most Republicans I know view him very favorably. Sure the God Squad doesn't, but that just makes me like him more. Anything that pisses our version of the Taliban off is fine with me. In the end I'm willing to bet even the holy rollers would vote for McCain if the election is between him and Hillary. In their minds it will be the classic "lesser of two evils" vote.

Skitzer

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Pabster
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Hillary just brings nothing to the table for me.

But...35 years of experience! :laugh:

7 of which were served on the Board of Directors at WalMart. Now that's experience my friend!

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Skitzer
7 of which were served on the Board of Directors at WalMart. Now that's experience my friend!

:laugh:

Now, now. She was just being a 'loyal company woman' :laugh:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
McCain of hillary.

McCain carries the purples and wins cali and NY

The only purple McCain will carry will be on his face after the beating Hillary will give him :D

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
McCain over hillary.

HA! McCain may beat her but he ain't carrying the nation's bastions of liberalism, especially when one is his opponent's "home" state. Sorry.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
McCain over hillary.

Doubtful that McCain will carry CA or NY. But as the last 2 elections have shown, he won't need to.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
McCain of hillary.

The only purple McCain will carry will be on his face after the beating Hillary will give him :D

OK hillarybot.

Anyways I stand my my prediction.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Geez, if the nominees are between Osama/hitlery and McInsane/Romulous we are doomed. Game over. Uninstall. Delete partition. Reinstall OS.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
A McCain/Hillary election will mean higher taxes, no doubt about it. Someone has to pay for us being in Iraq for 100 years, or, someone has to buy me health care.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: bamacre
A McCain/Hillary election will mean higher taxes, no doubt about it. Someone has to pay for us being in Iraq for 100 years, or, someone has to buy me health care.

Higher taxes are inevitable thanks to Medicare.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Geez, if the nominees are between Osama/hitlery and McInsane/Romulous we are doomed. Game over. Uninstall. Delete partition. Reinstall OS.

Error: unhandled exception in application US government.
Uninstall string not found.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon

Error: unhandled exception in application US government.
Uninstall string not found.

:laugh: