Who/What do YOU blame for this extreme lull for enthusiasts?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Who is to blame for a boring product lineup?

• ATI/Nvidia

• Game Developers/Lack of need

• Economy

• Improving APUs from Intel/AMD

• GPU Fabs (TSMC, GF, whoever)

• Relatively Cheap and long supported Console Platforms

• What lull?

Results are only viewable after voting.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
All I care about is having fun. Anyone remember when gaming was just pure fun and you knew nothing of frame rates, specs and hardware terms? Prolly not cause you all are too cool for that but you guys can shove your PC vs Consoles and 30fps vs 1000FPS debates up yours and I'll continue to enjoy all the platforms in whatever performance or efficient range I can afford.

You guys are just Sunday Gamers. Real gamer's do not give a crap if the PS4 is weaker than your PC or if it only does 30fps cause the real enjoyment is the gameplay and even 1000FPS at Ultra HD resolution will not make [inferior] games more fun. So if your only driving your Hotrod on Sundays, then your just a Sunday driver.

I remember when a video card was nothing but a block of memory, and games were in 4 colors. Well, that was on my 2nd computer. The first one was monochrome with 640k ram.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I remember when a video card was nothing but a block of memory, and games were in 4 colors. Well, that was on my 2nd computer. The first one was monochrome with 640k ram.

If you had fun playing it then what difference did the number of ram it have in it really matter. I had a Pong system and even a Trash 80 but that has little to do with gameplay now doesn't it.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
If you had fun playing it then what difference did the number of ram it have in it really matter. I had a Pong system and even a Trash 80 but that has little to do with gameplay now doesn't it.

I had fun, but I certainly appreciated the advances in graphics as time went on. 4 colors was not all that pretty.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

He's talking about the RAM used as a framebuffer which directly affected what games you could play (determined resolution and color-depth; nothing to do with performance). It mattered.

vanillatech

Aug 10, 2013
I do, but I also remember that we were a lot younger then too. I think you have to take that into consideration.

Age was most probably a big factor, but also the games were far better. We saw advances every month for many, many years. Everything was exciting and games were being made by game loving geeks who could have been doctors / lawyers but chose TO MAKE GAMES instead.

Joeydubbs

Jun 11, 2008
Although I'm far from an enthusiast, there is just no NEED for me to upgrade right now. I was planning on a uber Haswell build with a 770 vid card this summer but was shocked just how well my aging system could handle Skyrim when I bought it a few weeks back...my C2D handles pretty well with win8 tasks. I'm guessing system req's for games will change once the new consoles come out. Sounds like I will need a new rig for Star Citizen though :)

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
To the 20% who answered "what lull?", what do you think now?

I think the fabs are hurting us all.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
To the 20% who answered "what lull?", what do you think now?

I think the fabs are hurting us all.

Crysis was released back in 2007, and no game since then can really hold the title of looking significantly better. if anything IMO the IQ/hardware requirement of games has regressed after it. I'm not even going into whether those games are actually worth the time and money playing...

Blitzvogel

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2010
Half Life 3 might make people upgrade, but likely it would be made with legacy support in mind.